No Right Answer: Best/Worst Anime Ever

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Best Anime I've watched? Either Psycho Pass, Kill la Kill, or Gurren Lagann....

I've never watched an Anime I thought was "Bad", just heard was bad. The closest I can think of was Bobobo, and I stopped watching that mainly because it just got too weird for me.........

I kinda have very polarizing opinions when it comes to Anime, as I've enjoyed alot of stuff that has quite the broken fanbase (*Cough* Evangelion *Cough*). For example, I hold the original series Naruto in somewhat high regard, mainly because it was the airings on Toonami that awoke me to the terminology of "Anime" (I HAD watched anime stuff like DBZ, Pokemon, Digimon, and Gundam, but I still thought them as "cartoons" until the phrase Anime was brought up constantly on Toonami), but I can't exactly speak my opinion on Shippuden since I kinda dropped off watching it after the timeskip.

red255

Apr 22, 2014
Toblo1 said:
Best Anime I've watched? Either Psycho Pass, Kill la Kill, or Gurren Lagann....
Whenever I hear someone mention BEST EVER anime, I Generally Cringe. I could pick apart the ones you listed.... Psycho Pass I never finished. Kill la Kill's first half is... not something I enjoyed. and Gurren Lagan is a Homage to Getter Robot, and without that reference material, the ending made me rage until the movie which made the ending seem like a joke, instead of the serious business it was intended to be.

It was apparently referencing Getter Robot's ending. the Spiral Nemesis which wasn't really Explained in the show is this:

TTGL. the robot, would eventually EVOLVE past its pilots. and then just use them as batteries as it does distruction on the universe. Thats how Getter ended apparently.

Madoka. I'd like to list that as Best anime ever. But you probably need to know some of magical girl shows to get what its doing. cuz its... a deconstruction.

Couple other good animes... like Code Geass is basically ragging on Gundam Seed which is not good but people watched it.

If I wanted to talk about DBZ.... It was pretty good. At least DBZ Kai up till somewhere in Frieza Arc (episode where Krillin puts a hole in Vegeta to power him up.)

I was watching Kai, and it was like PAUSE. There, there it is series is bad now.

Which is not to say there are NO redeeming moments after that point, series goes on for another 220 episodes. But there isn't ENOUGH good to warrant 220 episodes. and then there is GT.

SO do I evaluate DBZ (kai) on the first 2 arcs (saiyans and Namek)? Ignoring Androids and Buu? Theres enough material there more than is in most series. but thats less than half the series.

But That part of DBZ is pretty good, the PROBLEM is DBZ ...Spawned DBZ GT which was like Buu saga but worse. and it spawned... One Piece. It spawned mediocrity.

Shounen Jump and anime and Toei, took DBZ and what was a nugget of good, and Figured out how to take that and make it last 300 more episodes, and PEOPLE STILL BUY IT.

Why do I find Madoka the Best anime ever...Well see its a decostruction and its META, see it was ending and around episode 10 with the big fight and city being destroyed, they had that Massive Earthquake. YEAH GOD Thinks its the best anime ever. and Next Walpurgisnaught we killed Bin Laden.

So you could listen to various people on the internet or you could listen to God. or whatever being sends earthquakes and kills bin laden. actually could just be some guy in US intelligence, but I prefer to think its god.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I remember those days as a young kid, coming in the house to watch Dragon Ball Z (and Gundam Wing I think?) after playing outside all day. Until I re-watched it, all I could remember from the show was Goku, Master Korrin, and Majin Buu.

Personally, I prefer Dragon Ball over Dragon Ball Z because it is more about absurd humor and silly things. I still liked Dragon Ball Z (to the point that I watched from the very beginning of Dragon Ball to the very end of GT), but the Cell Saga took some effort to watch. With that said, I was glad that the Majin Buu saga was more quirky.

Since watching the anime in it's entirety, I've started reading the manga and I've been watching Kai on Toonami. Maybe that'll make the middle of Dragon Ball Z more enjoyable and less of a chore.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
Is Dragonball Z the best or worst anime ever? I say it's among the most overrated, personally.

Search your feelings, all you nostalgia-blinded fanboys, you know it to be true.

It's pretty much the same plot over and over and over again with multiple episodes dedicated to one... damn... fight... while Goku is the only character who seems to beat the bad guys, and everyone else is unable to catch up.

That's why I refer Dragonball Z Abridged, at least it pokes fun at the show's stupider aspects.
Most overrated? I believe that you may want to take a look at the Evangelion fanbase. At least the DBZ fanbase admits the show is terrible.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If one cannot except it as anything in between, than given Best or Worst, it has to be the Worst by process of elimination. Because it certainly isn't the best.