No Right Answer: Did The Sony Hack Prove We're All Hypocrites?

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Firefilm said:
Hurray! What a great way to ring in the new year, by being crowned a prince! Thank you!
That's how they get you, sure you get crowned a prince but you have to pay them $300 for the crown and sign a marketing license with NHK marketing.

I'm glad I thought both hack jobs were ethically heinous, also was extremely skeptical on any news that was obtained illegally through shady dealings, hopefully both the actresses and Sony staff find closure to this fiasco soon.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Strazdas said:
Sanunes said:
Yeah, but from what I read from an independent study the other day is that this could be also have been caused by a disgruntled former employee who had inside knowledge of the Sony network, which makes it worse because they didn't update anything after a termination. A company I worked for had a policy created for differing level of employee terminations, the IT area was pretty stringent what had to be changed when it was an IT employee.
This claim is based in its entirely of there being a disgruntled employee that posted his disgruntlement on the internet. nothing else. its little more than a PR stunt by the company claiming it.
My bad, I thought I read that they followed the information trail of Sony's data and that is how they found that out.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
So we are hypocrites for really what is a common sense thing and NOT take nudes of yourself on a device connected to the internet and that back everything up on "the cloud" thats fucking asking for trouble. So the celebes are dumb, dont agree with what happend but if you have celeb status you have ppl stalking you all the time anyway kinda comes with the bizz does it not ? And these days ppl are really dumb with tech. And as for Sony, yes its full of ppl but if their bosses were not tight fisted assholes and invested in better security they would not be in the mess they are in.

The way i see it you guys are saying that these 2 groups of rich morons got fucked coz they were kinda stupid and that makes up hypocrites for showing any kinda interest, coz poor rich ppl cant what afford fucking common sense ? And yet your on a site that was cock slapping both these events all over the site. Nah dudes YOU are the hypocrites here.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
AstaresPanda said:
So we are hypocrites for really what is a common sense thing and NOT take nudes of yourself on a device connected to the internet and that back everything up on "the cloud" thats fucking asking for trouble. So the celebes are dumb, dont agree with what happend but if you have celeb status you have ppl stalking you all the time anyway kinda comes with the bizz does it not ? And these days ppl are really dumb with tech. And as for Sony, yes its full of ppl but if their bosses were not tight fisted assholes and invested in better security they would not be in the mess they are in.

The way i see it you guys are saying that these 2 groups of rich morons got fucked coz they were kinda stupid and that makes up hypocrites for showing any kinda interest, coz poor rich ppl cant what afford fucking common sense ? And yet your on a site that was cock slapping both these events all over the site. Nah dudes YOU are the hypocrites here.
Seriously man, please learn how to write proper english.
As for your points (and the points you missed by a mile): we're not hypocrites for showing interest, he's saying people who condemn one but not the other are hypocrites. Also, after the Zoe Quinn thing half the internet burned down in outrage over ethics in games journalism, but when sony was hacked, personal data was stolen and journalists covered it, nobody raised the 'ethics in journalism' point because there was no sex involved. THAT is hypocritical.

Your other points seem to boil down to 'these people are rich/famous therefor they deserve whatever shit gets thrown their way and that's bullshit. No matter how rich or famous people become they still have the same right to a personal life as everyone else, or are you going to argue that celebrities should all shower in bathing suits inside their own home because someone with a camera might be lurking outside the bathroom window? Should people just not work for sony because the company might get hacked and someone could steal their personal data?
The only one to blame here are the hackers.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Floppertje said:
Seriously man, please learn how to write proper english.
As for your points (and the points you missed by a mile): we're not hypocrites for showing interest, he's saying people who condemn one but not the other are hypocrites. Also, after the Zoe Quinn thing half the internet burned down in outrage over ethics in games journalism, but when sony was hacked, personal data was stolen and journalists covered it, nobody raised the 'ethics in journalism' point because there was no sex involved. THAT is hypocritical.

Your other points seem to boil down to 'these people are rich/famous therefor they deserve whatever shit gets thrown their way and that's bullshit. No matter how rich or famous people become they still have the same right to a personal life as everyone else, or are you going to argue that celebrities should all shower in bathing suits inside their own home because someone with a camera might be lurking outside the bathroom window? Should people just not work for sony because the company might get hacked and someone could steal their personal data?
The only one to blame here are the hackers.
I can only speak for myself, but I am upset at Apple as well for they knew about the flaws in their security for it seems people were doing this hack for awhile, but they only did something to fix it when Hollywood was targeted.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Sanunes said:
Floppertje said:
I can only speak for myself, but I am upset at Apple as well for they knew about the flaws in their security for it seems people were doing this hack for awhile, but they only did something to fix it when Hollywood was targeted.
Fair enough, if you know about a hole in your security and you fail to adress the issue, I guess you are responsible when it's exploited. I'm still blaming the hackers more though.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Before I make my point, I will admit to google searching the photos of Jennifer Lawrence as a mild curiosity. I'm on no high horse, I'm rolling in the filth like every other honest idiot.

OT: The point I want to make is that I don't see this as being all that hypocritical. People losing personal information (nude photos) is a cyber attack (for lack of a better term) in individuals. Sony's information getting leaked (which was a lot) is still bad, but given it's a corporation, and not one of the better ones that has its shit straight, I don't feel as guilty for enjoying the stuff they leaked because I'm one of many who likes seeing most any corporation get knocked down a peg.

On top of that, this is Sony. They've had PSN outages multiple times, been cyber attacked before, and had information leak on more than one occasion. Before I wasn't at all sympathetic to Jennifer Lawrence and the rest because storing nude photos on an online service itself seems idiotic in nature (having them in the first place does too, but that's not the argument here). But they actually gain my sympathy as a result of Sony's hacks being all the stupider. Have they not learned to get better online security? Have they improved or fixed ANYTHING of their network at all? Apparently not since this is the same stupid bullshit that keeps happening to them. Sorry, but I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy who keeps letting people steal his food simply because he refuses to lock his doors when he goes to sleep. Maybe he should start locking his motherfucking door.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
On top of that, this is Sony. They've had PSN outages multiple times, been cyber attacked before, and had information leak on more than one occasion. Before I wasn't at all sympathetic to Jennifer Lawrence and the rest because storing nude photos on an online service itself seems idiotic in nature (having them in the first place does too, but that's not the argument here). But they actually gain my sympathy as a result of Sony's hacks being all the stupider. Have they not learned to get better online security? Have they improved or fixed ANYTHING of their network at all? Apparently not since this is the same stupid bullshit that keeps happening to them. Sorry, but I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy who keeps letting people steal his food simply because he refuses to lock his doors when he goes to sleep. Maybe he should start locking his motherfucking door.
I agree, I don't feel bad for Sony at all. The people I feel sorry for are the wage-slaves that have had their personal private information leaked because Sony didn't protect it, I read somewhere that there are claims that some of these employees have been the target of identity theft already, but I haven't seen any real confirmation of that yet.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
I don't see the correlation here. Once the information is out, naturally it should be reported on.
There are a lot of problems with media in general, but reporting on, or discussing a thing is not one of them.

Spyre2k said:
Second if they are legit well that's their own damn fault. Only an idiot takes nude photos and expects them never to get released. It happens ALL the time with person pictures getting released to basic common sense rule is don't take nude photos of yourself.
Nice victim blaming there Spyre2k. Stay classy.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Firefilm said:
Did The Sony Hack Prove We're All Hypocrites?

With companies being hacked with increased frequency, it's important that we as geek culture know how to respond. Our track record thus far is not the best. Here's why.

Watch Video
The only person who isn't a hypocrite is someone who isn't trying to convince the world that what's good for him is what's good for everyone else.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I wasn't happy for either of the hacks. I mean, it's nice that some good came out of one of the hacks (Spiderman going to a studio that should presumably be able to handle it properly) but that doesn't mean I wanted either to happen. However, I also don't think that people who googled or whatever for the images were "part of the problem" either. Not unless they financially incentivized the people who were releasing the photos.

Were they unethically in viewing the pictures? Sure, I would agree with that. Were they breaking the law or having any kind of roll in committing the crime? Nope. Again, not unless they were one of the hackers themselves or unless they financially contributed to the hackers to get the photos. So I also have a contention with that claim too.

As far as ethics in journalism. I'm not sure I see the point. I don't recall anyone saying either of these were good. If someone did say that, then sure, it would be unethical to support such widespread crimes.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
I condemned both the hacks of the celebrity pics and Sony's private info, so you can't pin it on me. This whole thing was a dig on MovieBob, wasn't it? All he did was report on the Sony hacks as "a thing that happened, and what it means for we their audience."
I'm preeeeetty sure it's a shot at #gamergate, not MovieBob (or maybe both!), as in: "Gamergate claims to be about 'Ethics in Journalism', but when something comes up that is ACTUALLY an issue of 'Ethics in Journalism'... there's no outrage or reaction at all on their part".

Recoveryanonymous

Dunedain of the faith
Feb 22, 2015
WarpedLord said:
Darth_Payn said:
I condemned both the hacks of the celebrity pics and Sony's private info, so you can't pin it on me. This whole thing was a dig on MovieBob, wasn't it? All he did was report on the Sony hacks as "a thing that happened, and what it means for we their audience."
I'm preeeeetty sure it's a shot at #gamergate, not MovieBob (or maybe both!), as in: "Gamergate claims to be about 'Ethics in Journalism', but when something comes up that is ACTUALLY an issue of 'Ethics in Journalism'... there's no outrage or reaction at all on their part".
It doesn't seem like the video was an indictment on GG to me, more that it was just saying that ethics in journalism actually is important.