No Right Answer: Game Feature That Needs to Come Back

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Game Feature That Needs to Come Back

Since everyone on No Right Answer has kids now, we can officially start complaining about how we miss the good old days!

Watch Video

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
One of the best couch co-op games of relatively recent memory (within the last decade at least) was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Not four player, but some of the most fun I could hope to have playing on the same tv with a buddy.

Also, I still call people out for screen looking in online-only competitive games XD

Old habits die hard.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Man, I would definitely go for some more C&C: Red Alert hamminess. Heck, I'd even take more Wing Commander-esque seriousness. Can you imagine if the StarCraft II between-mission scenes were FMV?

...ooh. I kinda got a tingly feeling from that. Somebody call Blizzard.

Jan 12, 2012
Fappy said:
Also, I still call people out for screen looking in online-only competitive games XD
xX420NSAgentXx is totally a cheating bastard, though. Probably standbying as well.

I'm for couch co-op because I listen to the Rooster Teeth Podcast, and hearing Burnie talk about having to buy multiple copies of a game and multiple systems so that he, his son, and his girlfriend can all be on the same Destiny fireteam, and then having to scatter themselves around the house, makes me very sad. It's like people missed the fact that the Wii sold well because you could get everyone playing together for cheap, rather than investing hundreds of dollars per person to sit in different rooms.

FMV would be nice, but it would have to be the right game; a lot of games are realistic-ish, in that comparing HD video to their graphics would make the game look less good by comparison, as well as sliding any in-game models of real people into the uncanny valley. That said, something like the Total War games, where you get little messages with videos about how your assassination mission went and so forth? Absolutely great for FMV.

Also, best Tim Curry right here.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Fappy said:
xX420NSAgentXx is totally a cheating bastard, though. Probably standbying as well.

I'm for couch co-op because I listen to the Rooster Teeth Podcast, and hearing Burnie talk about having to buy multiple copies of a game and multiple systems so that he, his son, and his girlfriend can all be on the same Destiny fireteam, and then having to scatter themselves around the house, makes me very sad. It's like people missed the fact that the Wii sold well because you could get everyone playing together for cheap, rather than investing hundreds of dollars per person to sit in different rooms.

FMV would be nice, but it would have to be the right game; a lot of games are realistic-ish, in that comparing HD video to their graphics would make the game look less good by comparison, as well as sliding any in-game models of real people into the uncanny valley. That said, something like the Total War games, where you get little messages with videos about how your assassination mission went and so forth? Absolutely great for FMV.

Also, best Tim Curry right here.
I played Halo 2 at a friends house once who tried out the standby exploit. Yeah, neither of us understood why people would want to play like that all day. Totally sapped the fun out of it.

Some people :/

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
For those of you of the FMV persuasion, might I recommend looking into Roundabout? It's a recent game on steam where you play as a spinning limo that has exclusively FMV cutscenes.

OT: I'm for couch co-op myself. So many fond memories... But I'd also like to see more FMV cutscenes just because it could help get those bloated AAA budgets in check. Seriously, as much as I love beautiful animation, I like not choking on my food every time I see the latest AAA budget.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I guess I missed out on the FMV era - wasn't all that into space sims and RTS's growing up. But I do love good CGI cinematics. I grew up playing Final Fantasy and Tekken. Though the stories might have stretched from incomprehensible to generic depending on what iteration you're playing, the cinematics at the beginning, middle, and end were beautiful. Give me a game with a cool opening sequence from Blur Studios, that's it, sold. Their Deadpool concept is likely the primary reason that the movie's going back into production now. Favorite Tim Curry?
Sleep well.

g3ko

Jun 2, 2011
Personally, yes, watching this video made me miss the old FMV cut-scenes, but I'd much rather have the co-op option come back.

It's more of a social setting, it was a bigger part of growing up and having a neighbour come over and play with. This still occurs with Tekken (The Tag-Tournament 2 version(which is the latest one released) can actually support up to 4 players), and it doesn't even need the split screen since it's fighting based, but i don't dismiss the online aspect of it either.

It basically gives you the option of either playing through the internet with a friend (*IF he has the same console and game(small note:whatever happend to the Starcraft 1 spawn instal system? ie: you basically needed only one copy of the game to start a session and all the other computers that were LAN connected could have only a MP version installed that didn't need a licence to start)) or have a friend(or 3) come over for a co-op or free for all tournament.

Edit: a. Didn't realise I hit post mid sentence.
b. Formated paragraphs to make it readable as opposed to block of text

Onuryn

Arm-manager Anagrammer
Nov 14, 2008
1x 60-inch TV split 4-way = 4x 30-inch TVs, one for each player!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Couch Co-op is nice, but I generally despise games that are unplayable unless in co-op, like the latest Resident Evil games.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Tim Curry line that sticks out of my mind is one word: "Smashing!"

I too miss live action cut-scenes and their inherent cheesiness. Split-Screen co-op, not so much. It was so easy to to look at the other players' screens and, worst of all, touch my controller and receive a punch from me. That's why we stopped having multiplayer at my house.
What Kyle said about live action and CGI footage in game ads (btw, Arkham Origins is good, it's got more of the same fun from Arkham City) shows a problem in game advertising on TV: they don't show what the bloody things LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY'RE BEING PLAYED! The only Non-Nintendo game I've seen ads for that do show in-game footage was Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It basically says: "See this cyborg ninja flipping out everywhere? That's you. Running down walls of a crumbling building, slicing bad dudes up, and fighting a giant robot. Go nuts, champ!"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect... ?
Anyway; YURI!!! You know what I am talking about, FMV fans! ;) ;)

But yeah, couch co-op rocks. And Wii(U) doesn't...
You missed mentioning the MASSIVE Guitar Hero - Rockband surge, that PROVED people pay shit tons for local co-op!

And btw, that was Martin Sheen? Psh! I never recognised his ass in Mass Effect, so good job not having him in FMV! :(

This week, really, really great arguments from both sides!
But this needed to be: "Game-Feature-That-Needs-to-Come-Back WITH Yahtzee!".
Seriously, he ALWAYS talks about that (health kits, more than 2 guns etc. etc.).

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
FMVs would be awesome, but I really do miss couch co op, some games still do it, like Dynasty Warriors and your average fighting game will almost always have an offline vs mode, but I can't get into online multiplayer as easily, it's just not the same

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Kyle made a surprisingly good argument for FMV. I though couch co-op was going to wipe the floor with FMV, but no; I actually bought who won this one.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Wasteland 2 released 6 days ago had FMV... I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought it was advanced CGI, no it was people acting.. It was so god damned cheesy... I started crying.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Couch coop? MEH. Goldeneye was couch PVP.

Realms of the Haunting. One of the best games ever made, chock full of FMV.

What I would REALLY like to make a return though is gameplay. New games today have unlockables. SO MUCH UNLOCKABLES. How about if we just STARTED with all the cool stuff...and used it for FUN...instead of playing a game for dozens and dozens of hours to unlock that gun we want or that armor that works well....and then we're tired of it...

Anyone remember Doom multiplayer? Hexen Coop? Halflife deathmatch? Action Half Life? Counter Strike? Alien Vs Predator (from 1999)?

No unlockables, just hours and hours of fun!

No more unlockables. Thats my vote :| Also, more mods :|

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Couch co-op also partially died due to the real estate of the screen being taken up by the characters (mostly in FPS oriented games). The developers from the last generation had to squeeze every last drop of processing power out of the console to make the game look as good as it did, to save some power they just had the character's model take up a large portion of the screen. So even though you'd have bigger and bigger screens the character model is still taking up the same percentage of the view. It is kind of why Nintendo can still get away with it, with racing, party games, and sports you can still share that screen. You don't need a large field of view for those games as compared to a FPS.

Also I will say that I'd prefer an FMV instead of the in game dialogue dump that's become a thing. Oh great this character is talking to me, I'd better stop doing anything and face them lest I turn my head off a few degrees or do something else and miss everything.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I would say the biggest downside to FMV vs CGI is possible limitations on number of variations in scenes/outcomes, where you'd have to re-shoot every possible timeline of the game to anticipate every possible choice players might make in games that have branching narratives, whereas with CGI you can just tweak the bits and pieces here and there that might change, but if the changes are big enough it's probably just as much/more effort to go through generating new iterations of the altered content as it would be to film different versions, so maybe that's not such a big thing anyway.

Edit: oh, one exception: child characters. I suspect CGI characters with older VAs will be better than young actors most of the time.