No Right Answer: Game Feature That Needs to Come Back

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
FMV doesn't need to come back, just have talented voice actors, or motion capture. FMV is too limited.FMVs if done wrong will look terrible.
there are still same console co-op games out there, Borderlands is awesome split screen. Diablo 3 is a good one too for this. There are some games that only do online multiplayer, but they sometimes have co-op campaigns as well. so its not like this aspect of gaming is gone and needs to come back, just maybe more games need to follow Borderlands formula for it. have all the options, co-op split screen and online multiplayer.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
How about no microtransactions or dlc and you just release a game that's complete? I know, Crazy talk.

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
Ghadente said:
FMV doesn't need to come back, just have talented voice actors, or motion capture. FMV is too limited.FMVs if done wrong will look terrible.
I don't know. With the money spent animating motion capture, wouldn't it be cheaper to do FMV? Yeah, it can look bad if done wrong, but aren't we hitting the uncanny valley often enough now that it might be a better option?

One of the main reasons our only console is a WiiU is the local multiplayer. :) Dan can say what he wants, but we love it.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
I agree, I miss FMV. With the tech now, it can look great, as you mentioned those live-action trailers and ads.
Gotta play that recent Tex Murphy game now :)

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
I love splitscreen co-op! My husband and I love playing together and it's just not the same experience if we have to be in separate rooms to do it. Halo is a perennial favorite in our house because it's just so good for local co-op play.

But I do wish devs would think seriously hard about font colors and scaling in games with local co-op. We had to get a separate copy of Borderlands 2 and play in separate rooms because the text was literally illegible in splitscreen unless somebody got up, walked up to the TV and read it aloud to the other. It's like 2pt bright blue type against what, gray? Stupid, stupid choice.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Wait... split screen went away? I played a ton of it this past generation. It's only with the 8th generation that even COD lost it's four person split screen. Some games now only have one player multiplayer games... like Battlefield.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I never really liked splitscreen myself, since I always got confusde about which part of the screen is mine.

What should come back is cheat codes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm with Kyle. We need FMV's those were awesome.
How about you debate what current game mechanics/trends need to go die in a fire?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
oldtaku said:
How about no microtransactions or dlc and you just release a game that's complete? I know, Crazy talk.
Hah, you beat me to the punch! I'd much prefer the "expansion pack" method, as it keeps the companies more honest (like the addons for the Elder Scrolls games).

Speaking of FMV...anyone remember FMV music videos? They still have GAME music vids, but it's not really the same thing...

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
FMV... I remember playing Command and Conquer and just the entire way you were briefed enhanced the immersion.
And of course Kane shooting Seth was just amazing. Same with the movies in the original Red Alert.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The only time FMV works is when it's ridiculously cheesy (Command and Conquer), so I don't know if I miss it all that much.

Couch co-op on the other hand... Let's just say, I'd take splitscreen with my friends over some random asshole on the internet any day. I've never been that into online games, and even when I do play them, it's almost always with friends. Hearthstone is one of the few online games I can think of that I actually will play by myself. However, I still like trying my decks against friends more than grinding through ladder.

I think couch co-op is one of the main reasons I've loved the Borderlands series so much. Ya the menus were awkward as fuck in splitscreen, but for me, nothing beats taking down Crawmerax the Invincible with a friend sitting next to me.

Ben Rokah

Apr 3, 2010
Totally agree with the whole cgi emptiness thing..
And the fact that I really miss the old red alert in between missions cut-scenes.
They didn't require a high budget too, take a bald guy, give him uniform and let him talk.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah... I was never a fan of FMV's back then and I'm still on the fence about them :/

Kinda glad we don't do these anymore:

Although to be honest, I'd like to see someone actually making ultra cheesy FMV's in HD nowadays :)

As for couch coop, I call shenanigans!, I actually play 4 player coop with Magicka, Sonic Racing Transformed and Resident Evil 6 and Portal 2 split-screen coop is all kinds of awesome! :D and get over it, Smash is coming soon, you'll need to buy "whatever Nintendo does nowadays". Also Mario Kart 8. 'Nuff said.

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
I bought extra controllers just so me, my wife, and a guest can do couch coop Diablo 3. Bring it back.

Also, bring back a time when gamers didn't whine because a game wasn't that great.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Couch co-op needs to come back!
These days I'd have to go to the Wii and play some party game in order to play with friends on one console and one TV.
Otherwise, it's Online Co-op, where we need 2 separate consoles, 2 separate games, and two separate subscriptions to your service of choice for console of choice.
Fuck.
That.
Shit.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
couch coop is good. it has a meaningfull purpose. sadly this is quickly going dead, even gamesl ike civilization is removing hotseat mode. for no reason at all really.

i didnt relaize there existed fans of FMVs though. they always seem completely out of place and like the developers wanted to show up his cousin more than he wanted to make a game. even in games that were 99% FMVs like the Xfiles it still felt kinda odd.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Good luck getting same-room multiplayer back. Companies want each person to buy their own console, their own game, their own internet, their own LIVE accounts to even get multiplayer, and be isolated in their own rooms, then try to bullshit about "social gaming".

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm FMV, I do like the c&c series. Oh yes 80ties schlock.

But local co op kinda is nicer to have. That is what the WII did so well. more players in the same game. And what is lacking in todays gaming.

Dollabillyall

Jul 18, 2012
Couch co-op for sure. My entire youth of gaming was couch co-op. TMNT2 on the NES with my brother, that's probably some of the best times I've had in my life. Playing Goldeneye on the N64 with my buddies drinking a beer and laughing... that's a quality experience.
I think that any game that has online multiplayer should be able to have local multiplayer. It's not THAT hard... but it's a damn good selling point for both a game and a console. The only reason I would consider buying anything Nintendo is because it has games that I can play with my friends. Heck, I still rip out the gamecube every once in a while for Double Dash and Smash bros... I just realised I'm only talking nintendo here... but the same goes for many playstation titles like Dynasty Warriors.

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
Just wanted to point out that Halo 4 was one of the few games that have come out recently that *did* have couch coop and couch multiplayer so not sure why you used *that* as an example.

OT: I really do wish more games would do couch coop but the reality is that there from a business sense there isn't much return on investment so most publishers probably don't want devs to spend money on it. Adding couch coop isn't just as simple as splitting the screen in 4 and taking the online competitive multiplayer experience and putting it in there. From a programming perspective I imagine it's a lot more intensive to render all four views of the four players on one machine so it would need a lot more work in terms of optimization to make sure it all runs smoothly. Heck, games nowadays are barely optimized to run at 60 (or 30 at the minimum) FPS for one person let alone 4 in the push to get your yearly franchise out during the holiday season.

As for FMV, Remedy seems intent on working with it seeing as they had it in Alan Wake's American Nightmare and now are doing an entire TV show style interlude for cutscenes in Quantum Break.