No Right Answer: "Greatest" Movie Ever Made

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
"Greatest" Movie Ever Made

Chris and Kyle take several whacks at picking the greatest movie ever. Have your own pick? Post it below!

Watch Video

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
lots of good suggestions, under the same formula iron man and avengers helped create the modern superhero movie standard, and then green lantern gave it a black eye.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
Hot Fuzz is the best movie ever made. Of course, Hot Fuzz wouldn't be what it is without the innumerable movies before it to parody.

And I'd never heard of The Rocketeer, let alone seen it. The rest, sure, are pretty classic, but The Rocketeer seems like some niche film with a cult following.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Of course it's The Rocketeer. It wins by default for having a young and plump Jennifer Connelly in it.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Come on, how many movies were in that, like 8... and all American? At least throw one foreign film in there, even though my whole top 20 could easily be made up of mostly non-American flicks.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Come on, how many movies were in that, like 8... and all American? At least throw one foreign film in there, even though my whole top 20 could easily be made up of mostly non-American flicks.
What, you want to sit there and say "400 blows" didn't make you want to nuke France?

But seriously, what are your top 20? We have nothing against foreign films, maybe all we need is some good suggestions?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
For me, it's a toss up between Spike Jonze's "Her", and "Drive" by Nicolas Winding Refn.

They are both fucking amazing movies because of how much they stretch movies as a medium: the former is a romance depicted with only one(superb) actor and a voice in the background, and its completely believable. Add to that, its pretty mature in its depiction of everything in that movie(modern relationships, sexuality, culture, technology, society, etc.) and its a movie I find to be a work of art because, despite its imperfections, it still succeeds and surpasses them.

Drive, on the other hand, has very few to no problems whatsoever: the atmosphere that its going for is kept consistent, the utilitarian dialogue doesn't feel strange; it adds to the ambiance, and it is the purest form of acting that is (un-intended) driving the movie. The action scenes, whilst very humble, are very effective, and do feel very tense. Drive, is, what I'd call a close-to-perfect movie, but "Her" ultimately wins it for me, because it creates an experience with even less than Drive does. It's a work of art to me because I think it'd be impossible to re-create it, whereas Drive would probably be manufactured in a slightly easier manner.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The correct answer is the Lego Movie.

A masterpiece of storytelling, pacing and tone.

For foreign films well I wouldn't say these are "great" but they are certainly a lot of fun

Dead Snow: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1278340/
Calamari Wrestler: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0428662/
Executive Koala: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830581/
The Raid: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1899353/

For artsy fartsy movies (that are still good)

Mongol: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416044/

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Firefilm said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
What, you want to sit there and say "400 blows" didn't make you want to nuke France?

But seriously, what are your top 20? We have nothing against foreign films, maybe all we need is some good suggestions?
I don't mind throwing my own votes in on behalf of foreign films. Ingmar Bergman's Persona, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai or Ran or Rashomon, any of Park's revenge trilogy, The Battle of Algiers (don't recall the director), take your pick of Werner Herzog though my vote would be for Aguirre, The Wrath of God, The Triplets of Belleville is one of my favorite animated pieces, and of course M. I could go on, but that's a handful that deserve spots over nonsense like The Rocketeer (not that I didn't enjoy it, mind.)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Oh, so many great choices and so many great zingers. That part where Chris called the original novel of The Godfather "FUCKING ATROCIOUS" reminded me of the changes Steven Spielberg made to the story of JAWS. He read it, and found the human characters so unlikeable, he said "by the end I was rooting for the shark." i also liked what you said about 2001: A Space Odyssey. I watched it and can confirm it was SO BORING!
Rocketeer for the win! If you haven't seen it yet, DO IT NOW! The director of that one got the job to direct Captain America: The First Avenger!

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
It's Clockwork Orange.

But I am kind of biased toward Kubrick, my second greatest movie is Full Metal Jacket and Strangelove is somewhere in the top 10.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
"Weekend at Bernie's"? What the heck? Never heard of it, but without using Google, IMDB or any other tool, but just based on the name and what the guys were saying about it... I'm guessing some 1980s teen sex comedy?

And DO NOT "DIS" THE ROCKETEER. I freakin' love that movie. Jennifer Connelly was my ultimate teenage crush. Seriously, the white dress... whoa.

My personal choices? "Twelve Angry Men", "Enter the Dragon", "Lost in Translation", or "Wall-E". Totally subjective but they're the movies I just watch over and over again and love each time, for very different reasons.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Top Ten Films to see before you die (imo)

The Godfather Part II

Fallen (1998)

The Usual Suspects

The Fifth Element

Platoon

Leon

Scarface

Dr Strangelove

GoodFellas

Battle Royale

Others worth a mention are:

The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Psycho
The Silence of the Lambs
The Shining

There are quite a few more(basically anything Tarantino directed)but if you have never seen any of those films I highly recommend them.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Monty Python's Life of Brian. Not only is it funny, itis clever too. It manages the impossible by parodying people interpreting religion, without parodying religion itself. It contains absurd humor, talking humor, dark humor, slapstick, the whole package. I watched it first when I was like 6 years old, and while I didn't understand most of the themes back then, it has only become better as I've gotten older and come to realize just how much thought went into the making of this movie.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
iniudan said:
It's Clockwork Orange.
Good choice. I can definitely get behind some Kubrick praise. I love the structure of that film (Alex's journey being mirrored at the start and end with him first as the aggressor, and then as the victim), the music, the weird sets... It's just a beautifully-constructed piece of satire.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
"Weekend at Bernie's"? What the heck? Never heard of it, but without using Google, IMDB or any other tool, but just based on the name and what the guys were saying about it... I'm guessing some 1980s teen sex comedy?
In the context of knowing what the movie actually is, that would make it far, far darker.
Here's the IMDB one-line description: A pair of losers try to pretend that their murdered employer is really alive, but the murderer is out to "finish him off."
Your guess would have to involve some sort of necrophilia.

As for my picks... Nostalgia says The Princess Bride, current personal taste says Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, my social group (who are incapable of other than a joke answer) says Machete.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
C117 said:
Monty Python's Life of Brian. Not only is it funny, itis clever too. It manages the impossible by parodying people interpreting religion, without parodying religion itself. It contains absurd humor, talking humor, dark humor, slapstick, the whole package. I watched it first when I was like 6 years old, and while I didn't understand most of the themes back then, it has only become better as I've gotten older and come to realize just how much thought went into the making of this movie.
And the best thing about it is how much it pisses off people like this

thephill

Nov 24, 2010
The best movies are all kids movies.
The Iron Giant.
The Lion King.
Toy Story 3.
Lego Movie.
Avengers.