No Right Answer: Most Depressing Series Ending

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Most Depressing Series Ending

The time after your favorite TV show has aired it's last episode is rough. You've lost a close friend, who you might have been with for years. What series really rubbed salt in the wound by having the most depressing ending ever?

Watch Video

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I only saw the Dinosaurs ending, so I agree with Dan solely on that regard.

Can't really think of a personal pick, seeing how most series I've seen either had a happy ending or just didn't end at all.

Also: place your bets, ladies and gents:
How long until someone picks a series that was cancelled mid-series as the worst ending saying that "it ended too soon, that's why it's depressing"?

C117

Aug 14, 2009
In my opinion, Blackadder Goes Forth had the most depressing ending of all. Considering the entire rest of the series had been a funny, snarky comedy, the ending to the very last season takes a very depressing turn.

In the last episode, it is finally time for the final push over the top and and out of the trenches. Captain Blackadder desperately tries to get out, only to have his last attempts end in failure, Captain Darling is sent to the front by General Melchett as a "gift", when he wants nothing more than to stay OUT of the trenches, and Lieutenant George is very gung-ho about it all... until about five minutes before they are all going over the top, when he suddenly realizes that he too is scared by the prospect of dying. The last we ever see of them is when they charge out of the trenches, into the enemy's gunfire, with the theme slowly and melancholy playing in the background, before the whole scene dissolves into a field of poppies. No credits whatsoever, The End.

Now, I haven't seen either Dinosaurs or Roseanne, so I can't judge those, but still. The ending of Blackadder is just so depressing...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Oh yeah that final episode of Dinosaurs was very depressing. Too bad I didn't understand it at the time since it was on reruns and the announcer said something they get back on their feets immediently since another episodes start right after that one. I was a kid so I bought it.
Now I got to check out that real credit scene! (They did NOT show that when I watched it.)

EDIT- Ok I'm starting to believed they had made it up/ fantasy the frozen baby scene as there is nothing on that scene from my search for it! Seriously typing the show name and Baby being frozen at the credit put this thread on the first page!

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I remember the Dinosuars ending. They even had a news announcer actually talk about things and ending the broadcast with "Goodnight and...goodbye." Definitely a poignant moment.

But...yikes! I must've missed the Baby frozen in ice. Was that after the credits?

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
Frozen Baby?
The final scene of the episode I saw was with the news reporter saying that there was no hope in sight and finished the report by saying, "Goodnight...Goodbye..."
I like that because the first scene of the first episode was the news reporter talking about a meteor strike that was going to kill them. I'm a sad panda now...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
The final episode of Roseanne suck.

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)

Pontifex

Mar 17, 2010
It's not a TV series, but I think the pre-Extended Cut ending of Mass Effect 3 would qualify has horribly depressing.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
bdcjacko said:
The final episode of Roseanne suck.

Plus it is a wildly believed fact that Jurrassic Bark is the most depressing episode of anything ever. (Though not a series finale)
No arguments there, Jurrasic Barks makes me tear up almost every time.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I feel like this show is becoming 'let's argue over Cracked articles.' Not a bad thing.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
True enough! I never saw the final episode of ANY of those older tv shows lol And I loved Dinosaurs, and that ending's so very very very depressing...

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
TheThirdChild said:
Frozen Baby?
The final scene of the episode I saw was with the news reporter saying that there was no hope in sight and finished the report by saying, "Goodnight...Goodbye..."
I like that because the first scene of the first episode was the news reporter talking about a meteor strike that was going to kill them. I'm a sad panda now...
they probably mixed Baby with the kid from Spielberg's AI lol

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Well after that, I'm sure glad My Little Pony is coming back this Friday :(
Those cute ponies bring a smile to my face, and evil smile :) A similar version was used on an ad in Brazil for Honda or something (the ad was prohibted from airing, but can easily be found in youtube "Poneis Malditos"), it's like a car getting stuck in mud and the spokesman says "you want a car with horse power or pony power?" hahahaha than this childish song begins with dancing ponies that translates "Cursed ponies, cursed ponies,come with us and have fun! I hate mud, I hate dirt - how disgusting! - I shall no longer move!" after the crdits the pink poney returns with flaming eyes warning that you're cursed never to forget the song again lol
The ad was banned becaused in Brazil we don't allow "aggressive" advertising, in this case, showing another car (Ford I guess, don't remember) getting stuck, and saying that Honda is better.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Personally I think some of the most depressing show endings are when there's wasted potential or an unsatisfying conclusion like Lost, or when a series is cancelled before its time like Heroes.

That was a pretty screwed up ending to Dinosaurs though... you do have to wonder why the creators decide to give the ending such thematic whiplash.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
leviadragon99 said:
Personally I think some of the most depressing show endings are when there's wasted potential or an unsatisfying conclusion like Lost, or when a series is cancelled before its time like Heroes.

That was a pretty screwed up ending to Dinosaurs though... you do have to wonder why the creators decide to give the ending such thematic whiplash.
I would argue that Heroes probably ran longer than it should have. I still haven't finished season 4. I just lost interest.

Also, better to separate depressing content from lame outcome in this thread. Rosanne's ending was depressing; Lost's ending was lame.

If you consider it as a complete show rather than an unfinished one, Star Gate Universe had a fairly depressing end. Poor Eli...

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I was rooting on dinosaurs because i watched that show (thougt not the ending) but that Rosseane ending sounds depressing.

Jan 12, 2012
TheThirdChild said:
Frozen Baby?
You're right!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTUA_wdp78

At first I was happy because there wasn't a frozen baby, but then I watched the whole thing. Now, I just feel depressed.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Firefilm said:
Most Depressing Series Ending

The time after your favorite TV show has aired it's last episode is rough. You've lost a close friend, who you might have been with for years. What series really rubbed salt in the wound by having the most depressing ending ever?

Watch Video
"And taking a look at the long range forecast, continued snow, darkness and extreme cold. This is Howard Handupme. Goodnight. Goodbye." is the last spoken line of Dinosaurs.

But my vote still rest with ALF. Instead of being picked up by his alien friends to be taken to his new home world, he is captured by the Alien Task Force and taken to be dissected.