No Right Answer: Most Insulting Movie Sequel

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Say what you will about Crystal Skull, but I found it better than Temple of Doom. They brought back the best woman from the previous movies and it set out to do exactly what it did: give us a white-knuckle adventure.
The Transformers movies, they could have been better with the Autobots doing more, the military doing less (dying horribly), and no Linkin Park.

And why talk about those two if the shelf in the background had Spider-Man 3, Terminator 3, and the Matrix Revolutions (or was it Reloaded)? Those were some REAL suckfests!

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Aptspire said:
Gotta agree with Crystal Skull, for a single reason. Nuke Fridge.
:mad:
Well, come on. As if surviving a plane crash by using a liferaft as a makeshift parachute and then skiing down a mountain with it wasn't exactly as stupid.

But then again, it's always a very poor idea to attempt a sequel at a popular older film series. Putting yourself up against the unstoppable force of nostalgia is never going to be a very comfortable position.
Now, The Crystal Skull certainly is a slightly worse film than the previous three, and lack some qualities that they have, it really was flogged harder than it ought to have been, had it been any other film. But putting it in a position where it had to be compared to the previous trilogy and about twenty years of nostalgia, it was an inevitability.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Sports and Racing games... Whoops! :p
Anyway, Bumblebee file photo made me lol. Probably the best joke I'll hear/read this week!!!
Good job, unseen hero of the debate ;)

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
I was certain that the Matrix sequels were going to be brought up, especially since the DVD was sitting on the shelf in the background. Those would have been a better choice over Transformers.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Muspelheim said:
Aptspire said:
Well, come on. As if surviving a plane crash by using a liferaft as a makeshift parachute and then skiing down a mountain with it wasn't exactly as stupid.

But then again, it's always a very poor idea to attempt a sequel at a popular older film series. Putting yourself up against the unstoppable force of nostalgia is never going to be a very comfortable position.
Now, The Crystal Skull certainly is a slightly worse film than the previous three, and lack some qualities that they have, it really was flogged harder than it ought to have been, had it been any other film. But putting it in a position where it had to be compared to the previous trilogy and about twenty years of nostalgia, it was an inevitability.
Finally someone I can agree with. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was just a mediocre movie, not the abomination people make it out to be.

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
Dan W said:
I was certain that the Matrix sequels were going to be brought up, especially since the DVD was sitting on the shelf in the background. Those would have been a better choice over Transformers.
Second this! 1) So good you cannot ruin it, 2) it ruined it anyway, thats The Matrix sequels right now.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
I'm glad to see The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out top (or is it bottom?)! I mean That film had a higher expectation due to the triliogy while Transfomers doesn't (unless you had high expectations from the toys alone?). Also in my head I felt The Revenge of the Fallen was excused due to the writer strike back then or did the crystal skull was also effected by the stike too?
:( I really wish this dead horse would stop being beaten. I can't believe they made this video. Its the kind of negativity and dwelling that really needs to stop on web culture.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Muspelheim said:
Aptspire said:

The ultimate problem with nostalgia properties getting sequels 10+ years later. Its either going to be an out of the park homerun or an incredible flop. Honestly I'd say personally Indiana 4 is better than Indiana 2. We are going to be seeing this a lot more lately. Oz was a homerun. Tron was enough of a homerun that I don't see people talk bad about it. Independence Day is going to be scrutinized to death. The Star Wars prequels had no hope of clearing the Mt. Everest of fan expectations. Hell 3 if my favorite out of all 6 movies.

We need to stop going into these movies with such high expectations because more than likely it will never meet your own internal hype. Its better to go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised than to go in with high expectations only to come out bitter and angry they weren't met. At least in the terms of Nostalgia property movies.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
Loki_The_Good said:
Jurassic Park 3
The only one from your list I'd disagree with. It kind of redeemed Jurassic Park after the San Diego rampage at the end of Lost World. Is it as good as the first? Nope, but it's head and shoulders above Lost World.

As for Crystal Skull up until the finale in the city it's not terrible. It's fun, stupid drivel which is what action serials were. It's only the ending that really lets it down for me.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Fangface74 said:
Lets end this thread now shall we?

**Drum Rooooolllll****

HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!
I'll see your Highlander II: The Quickening... and raise you Highlander: The Source.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
I have to say, I disagree with that final statement about Disney and more Indiana Jones movies for several reasons.

First, say what you want about how evil Disney may be as a company and how bad some of their movies are, they know how to make their purchases work. They bought Pixar, gave it piles of money, learned what they could for their own animation studio, and now we have not only great Pixar movies, but Disney Animation Studios has been putting out some legitimately awesome movies too (Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Frozen).

Meanwhile, Marvel's been given the funding it needs to make incredible movies of its own. I doubt Marvel would have had the requisite funds to make The Avengers as awesome as it was if not for the House of Mouse. The same goes with Thor: Darkworld and I'm willing to bet the same of Winter Soldier an Guardians of the Galaxy

If they can do the same thing with Lucas that they did with Pixar and Marvel, I have no doubt any Indiana Jones movies or Star Wars movies will be excellent

Second, Temple of Doom was terrible. I like Crystal skull FAR better than that mess of a film. That isn't to say Crystal skull is a good movie, only to bring up the Indiana Jones movie trend. You get one good movie then one bad movie. We're due a good movie.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Loki_The_Good said:
Jurassic Park 3
I'm not gonna say the film wasn't kind of dumb but i'm also not gonna say I didn't enjoy it. Not to mention it was better than 2, how did the Rex kill the crew... just, did they not even think about the scene for more than a minute?

Shodan1980 said:
The only one from your list I'd disagree with. It kind of redeemed Jurassic Park after the San Diego rampage at the end of Lost World. Is it as good as the first? Nope, but it's head and shoulders above Lost World.

As for Crystal Skull up until the finale in the city it's not terrible. It's fun, stupid drivel which is what action serials were. It's only the ending that really lets it down for me.
I knew you'd have my back Shodan-sama /)^3^(\

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
RoonMian said:
"The first Transformers movie did everything you need a Transformers movie to do."
No, it did not because the Transformers took the backseat to kids wanting to bone and Michael Bay's military fetish. In their own movie.
Pretty much. And the parts with Transformers weren't even very good. The designs, while fairly realistic looking, were almost unreadable visually in the action scenes, and the shitty cinematography, shaky cam, and shots of giant metal robot ass didn't help anything. The original Transformers is a bad movie on pretty much every level, even as fan service. Sure, the sequel was even worse, but to even begin to argue that it ruined something that already sucked is absurd.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I could say the third Matrix, but I don't think it ruined the others. I mostly came to say Kyle should be disqualified for suggesting Transformers was a perfect movie as required by the stipulations. And he gave a really poor justification for it. It doesn't do everything you need a Transformers movie to do, it does something fucking else, where it fucks up the design of the actual robots horribly, the tranformations are far too busy and most grievously, it focuses on fucking Shia the Beef and his teenage bullshit uninteresting preoccupations. With a dash of military fetishism. It's one of the worst things I've seen in my life. Even Jim Sterling was self-aware when trying to defend it.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Of the two main contenders, I'd argue that Revenge of the Fallen was a far worse movie and a far worse sequel than Crystal Skull. Crystal Skull wasn't even that bad of a film and at least offered what fans of an Indiana Jones movie wanted, (ie whip-cracking pulp action adventure). Whereas Revenge of the Fallen took what fans of the series thought they wanted (ie more robots, less humans) and cruelly twisted it against them by putting all the new Transformer-oriented focus on racist stereotypes, flat comic relief characters and over-designed monstrosities. If anything, it showed that the first film was the best (or at least the least-bad) of the three precisely because it sidelined the Transformers.

Although really, it's a moot point since Spiderman 3 blows both of them out of the water in terms of bad sequelage. Although if Star Wars Episode VII really is planning on making the stars of the original trilogy the stars of the new trilogy, complete with geriatric disinterested original actors, then it's only a matter of time.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Kyle... those problems with RotF were definitely exacerbated, but they were still there in the first movie, the first movie was still dumb and insulting, so I wouldn't say it's worth defending as something the sequel "ruined"

Hell, I can barely remember any of the first movie, but I definitely remembered the second, at least the second one was memorable in its awfulness.

So... in short, yeah RotF is objectively a worse movie, but you can't really call betrayal or anything on it.

And Chris? I'd trust Disney to make more Indy movies more than I'd trust Michael Bay to make more Transformers movies.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Loki_The_Good said:
Spiderman 3

Hangover pt 2
Surely you mean spiderman 2, as that was far worse.
Also for hangover 2 to insult the first one, the first one needs to be any good

Fangface74 said:
HIGHLANDER 2

Boom!
But highlander 3 was so fun!

Aptspire said:
Funnily enough It was one of the most realistic parts of the movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reel-physics/6780-Indiana-Jones-4-Crystal-Skull-Nuking-the-Fridge]. He really could have survived it AND it was a smart choice.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
What I got from this: Sports Games & Racing Games are boring, unneccesary and insulting. I agree :D

It's been quite a while since I've seen either of those movies. I can't remember a whole lot about them. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that although I have now seen all 4 Jones movies... Crystal Skull was the first one I saw :S For that reason I was entertained, but mostly cause I didn't know any better. The other 3 are better in every way possible.