No Right Answer: Required Viewing Before You Die

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Babylon 5 by a country mile, After being drowned on the drool that was Star Trek and TNG it was refreshing to watch a well written series where they actually dared to show the humans as the bad guys and conspirators.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I agree with the outcome.

Firefly was a good show but it's far from 'required' viewing. I don't see what makes Firefly so special when compared to shows like The Simpsons, Star Trek TNG, etc. Lost as a whole disappointing, but the series felt like more of a memorable lasting experience than Firefly.

I really don't know what shows I'd consider to be 'required viewing'. The first and only one that truly comes to mind is Batman: TAS. The stories told in that show along with its visual design are memorable and fantastic. It introduced new characters to the mythos and has always felt like the definitive Batman iteration on screen.

Breaking Bad could be a solid candidate depending on how it ends and how memorable it withstands the test of time as years pass.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hell, if Lost was a nominee (and actually won), why not just throw it up there with the Sopranos? That show was equally garbage with an equally garbage ending.

Personally I'd say Avatar: The Last Airbender should be the winner. For the case as to why: go watch the Nostalgia Critic episode-by-episode vlogs on the matter. I had already seen the series before watching him watch the series, but it's really fun to see someone go from "never seen the show" to "holy shit this is now my favorite show of all time". I think that right there is argument enough. :p

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Point of order: Firefly had 14 episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_Show#Broadcast_history

People often confuse the first episode "Serenity" for the movie of the same name. They are two distinct things.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I love love LOOOVE fire fly, but I don't think it meets your #3 requirement. I see no shift caused by Fire Fly. I also don't see Lost as meeting the #2 requirement. The only thing people talk about it now is the disappointing ending.

I certainly would have had Avatar: The Last Airbender as one of the options here. with out Avatar, I don't think shows like Adventure time or even My Little Pony would exist in their current form with their current fan bases. Not sure what it should go up against it, maybe Seinfeld or The Simpsons.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
So... what you're saying is... it put JJ Abrams on the map so he could ruin Star Trek and Star Wars? Huh... didn't think I could hate lost any more than I already did. Thanks guys!

LOST was terrible. It's insulting to the viewers and its insulting to even still talk about it. Firefly was at least novel in some of the themes it was trying to pull off. But LOST? C'mon...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I find it's true what Robot Chicken said about Lost: "Heroes is way better, because they actually answer their mysteries. On Lost, they have no idea what they're doing!" I say if you want a J.J. Abrams show done right (meaning he has to share creative duties with people who can pull back on his chain), watch Fringe. It's got cool characters, a monster-of-the-week format that runs alongside the season-long arcs, and their mysteries have satisfying payoffs.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Even going by the criteria listed in the beginning (that a show must still be talked about to this day) Lost pretty much loses. Does anyone still talk about it? Honestly? Certainly not as much as Firefly. Lost is simply a mess of directionless writing and audience disappointment.

And they had the key to the secret? Excuse me while I go laugh my ass off. The writers and producers of Lost had less idea where it was going than the audience. Which at least partially explains why what few answers they did give were all various fan theories that had been around since Season 1.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I have to agree with people here. Firefly is, not only the better now, but still is more appreciated and talked about today.

I also agree that M*A*S*H and Avatar: The Last Air Bender are must sees. No excuses.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Luckily, I've seen both so I can die satisfied.

I had no idea there was so much hate for Lost. I mean I knew the ending was a little divisive but I count Lost amongst the greatest shows ever. I loved the characters, I loved the mysteries, and the weirder it got the more hooked I became. Did anyone here love Lost besides me? I'm feeling very alone right now...

I also don't know how someone refuses to watch Firefly. That is also one of the greatest TV shows ever created.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Why does everybody hate Lost? Lost was a damn good show, even without the mysteries. There were lots of fascinating characters who went through incredible and dramatic story arcs, all of which intersect in a brilliantly complex web that you only slowly start to see. And if you actually paid attention, most of the mysteries were answered.

Ya, the ending bombed, but that doesn't change the fact that the first 5 seasons were masterful in their ability to twist audience expectations, invoke curiosity and intrigue, and develop deep characters who could understand and sympathize with. Many shows have tried to copy it, and all have failed miserably because what it did was very hard to do.

Not the best show ever but certainly the most ambitious.

Firefly was good too, but there just isn't much there. It's a simple little unassuming show that doesn't really break new ground or do anything particularly amazing.

nayrbarr

Aug 11, 2010
LOST should never have won this, it just isn't a very good show. Moreover no one really talks about it anymore, so most of these points didn't make sense to me. Also, do you guys deliberately drink slowly to give each other time to speak? I can sort of respect that, but it rather defeats the purpose.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
nayrbarr said:
LOST should never have won this, it just isn't a very good show. Moreover no one really talks about it anymore, so most of these points didn't make sense to me. Also, do you guys deliberately drink slowly to give each other time to speak? I can sort of respect that, but it rather defeats the purpose.
Few behind the scenes secrets on the drinking rounds:

We usually shoot 8-10 episodes back to back, so after a few, a full glass of water pounded at full tilt sounds horrible. Chris actually threw up once. It was nice.

We also drink slower than full speed to give the other time to talk, whether it be to try to get a spit take (of which we have a few coming up!) or to get their point out.

I can see how if there is no spit-take, the slow drinking can feel like a lack of payoff, but I assure you; Unless you want to see Chris throw up, 3/4th speed is necessary.

I kinda feel the response to this is that people want to see Chris throw up. What is this, Tosh.O?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol I'll always pick Firefly

obviously I wish there was more of it, but it holds a lot more than it seems in its brevity

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Wait wait...I got it! NOW I know why Lost is a show you must watch before you die...

Because whomever you told to watch it would kill you, thereby absolving you of the guilt of suicide.

As much as I love Firefly, I can see how the lack of an understated overarching plot may have led to a tragically quick cancellation.

However, with LOST, not a single proponent of the series had a leg to stand on after the show was done. Honestly, if I watched LOST before I died, I'd want the time back plus interest.

The time I'd have wasted on LOST would have been more tragic than the cancellation of Firefly...

On the other hand, if I was GOING to die after watching the show, I suppose a case could be made for LOST, in that you'd live longer before it finished...but can such a tortured end to your days REALLY be called living?

EDIT: aww...poor Chris! Don't kill yourselves over these videos guys! We want you to stay healthy, esp so you can keep making more!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Your Expo advertisements are still the best, guys.

Personally I don't get the hype of LOST. Once you know that it just goes around in circles forever, it loses its appeal. Firefly, on the other hand, can be quite entertaining even though we know it didn't even get one full season, and have a general idea of the show.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
Required viewing before you die? you guys went with lost after the first two seasons it just becomes a filler production.I had completely forgot about lost since then until today so i can not see how that has effected human culture.