No Right Answer: Show that Jumped the Shark the Most

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I am now glad, perhaps even greatly so, that I never got a chance to watch EITHER series because I was too busy playing video games.

BTW...nice Charizard Red Ranger shirt there. But, uh...I wonder if you've seen THIS [http://pokemonworlds.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Eevee-friends-as-in-power-rangers-eevee-4623954-300-358.jpg] by any chance...

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
The thing about Lost was everyone said "purgatory, they are all dead". The writers said no, its something different and original. An it turns out it was purgatory, what every one said way back in series one. Complete waste of a good show. Not so much it jumped the shark as filled the many episodes with pointless stuff that wasnt important to the overall plot and characters. Especially when you get to the ending, it makes a lot of the previous series pointless.
No. Only the alternative timeline in season 6 was purgatory. They made that pretty clear.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god... that train metaphor, it was just too epic. It should have been the natural end to Chris' whole argument!

I loved the hell out of Heroes season 1. I watched a couple of season 2's episodes and just said... meh.

I watched the first episode of Lost long after it became a thing. I was never intrigued enough to continue. Thankfully.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I remember watching Lost, getting super excited about the next episode when it ended and cursing that it would take one whole week but at some point, I kind of lost interest. The show was on hold for a few months and when it came back, I just wasn't really that interested anymore. I tried to get back to it but I couldn't. Same happened with Heroes, just quicker.

spiffleh

Jul 12, 2010
Heroes was also the first TV show I ever bought. Such a disappointment (well not the first season... it was pretty interesting).

I didn't mind most of season 4 of Lost. It was all of Season 6 that had me so confused and frustrated. I give the win to Heroes for not even making it to Season 2 >__>

I'd watch a show that was just Hurley and Sawyer. Without Kate and Jack it would have been better =D

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
List of things Heroes borrowed from Marvel:

1) Days of the Future Past (alternate reality episode)...
2) Phoenix Saga
3) *Mutant* Registration Act (later brought up again as the Superhero Registration Act)

I quit watching.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
The thing about Lost was everyone said "purgatory, they are all dead". The writers said no, its something different and original. An it turns out it was purgatory, what every one said way back in series one. Complete waste of a good show. Not so much it jumped the shark as filled the many episodes with pointless stuff that wasnt important to the overall plot and characters. Especially when you get to the ending, it makes a lot of the previous series pointless.
Nonsense. They weren't in purgatory at all. People believed they were because of the "flash-sideways" but that timeline wasn't separate at all. It didn't happen alternately or concurrently with the events on the island at all. That timeline was the future, only presented as if it was happening alternately. In a way, it was kind of funny to me; it was almost as if the writers were making fun of the "they're all dead" theorists. "Well of course they were dead at the end, everyone dies eventually."

I didn't even make it past the episode were Hayden Panetierre wakes up from her autopsy for Heroes. But Lost? At it's worst, Lost was a quirky sci-fi/fantasy series that didn't like answering most of the questions it raised (although this helpful cracked article gives you some). But at its best? At its best, Lost was one of the greatest character dramas ever. Most shows only get one or two great characters. Lost managed to have several. Ben, Jin, Sun, Charlie, Sayid, Sawyer, Desmond, Richard, and John Locke is probably one of the best characters ever; they're all powerful characters with flaws and motivations. They make mistakes. They change. They grow. Did it have weird and sometimes dumb plot twists? Absolutely, but the setting and the mysteries were never the heart of this show. Its heart was always the characters. And in that regard, the show succeeded fantastically.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Both shows have really solid first seasons. But LOST is so much better, Heroes went downhill since its unsatisfying season one finale. LOST kept getting better and better until a really divisive final season. The cast was perfect, the direction rivaled what we see on the big screen with impressive production values. Risks were taken with the plot...some paid off, other didn't. But it has such an interesting identity that even when it fails, it fails gloriously! With a gripping soundtrack and memorable episodes, it remains one of my all-time favourite tv shows, second only to Twin Peaks.

Heroes showed promise and copied what's exciting about superhero comics. The later seasons copied the parts where comics failed in the 90's.Limited character development, killing and ressurecting characters left and right, altering character's personalities for shock value and overabundance of new uninteresting characters.

LOST may jump the shark, but to me it was never boring. Heroes overstayed its welcome fast.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
purifico said:
That train metaphor was glorious.

Can't say anything about Lost since I've stopped watching after season 1. Season 1 was awesome. The first 3 episodes of season 2 were so bad and made me so angry that were it a game my reaction would have been a rage quit followed by deleting the game, snapping the disc in half and throwing your computer out of the window. So yeah. Can't really say how bad the rest of the show was as my memories of the show stay mostly unmarred.

My vote goes to Heroes. I managed to see the show to it's end and boy was it not pretty. Never seen anything start so well and end so badly. You could basically see the show detoriate before your eyes, losing rotten limbs and finally collapsing into a pile of putrid flesh. So very sad.

rembrandtqeinstein said:
If you want to see a better take on the whole "ordinary people get superpowers" thing check out Misfits:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1548850/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just finished season 1, really good so far. IMDB comments say season 2 is good and 3 dies but 2 good seasons is about all a lot of shows have.
Unfortunately it goes the way of heroes after season 2. The first 2 seasons of Misfits are outstanding. The latter 2 not so much. They loose the overarcing story and become a compilation of episodes that are mostly not connected to each other in any way. The accent on superpowers also kinda whittles. Plus

SPOILER!!!!!!!

all the leading people from the start of the show leave by the end of season 3 and are replaced by new crew that can't even hold a candle to the original misfits.
yeah it sort of seemed it was only ment to last 2 seasons, i have no idea why they decided to go on. the first 2 seasons were fantastic, and it's all you really need to watch.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
I watched Heroes. Stopped after about halfway through season 1. I just could not keep up.

Lost was a weekly things with my father. Still impossible to keep up, but good.

Question I want to see? Tim Curry vs Jeremy Irons: Who's the better villainous voice?

William Greeson

Nov 13, 2012
Lost is an experiment. Stick a bunch of interesting characters you want to play with on a blank island and then see where it goes. The writers stay as lost as you do, maybe this leads to the most dynamic television on tv?

I thought it was lazy, and should have "found" itself long before it did.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wait, you didnt like Hayden Panettiere? she was the whole dman show beside Sylar.
You guys fail at taste.

Capcha: men in suits. oh damn, their coming....