No Right Answer: Tesla vs Edison

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Tesla vs Edison

It's the debate that the internet can't get enough of, so who are we no to grab a slice? Two scientists, one winner, No Right Answer!

Watch Video

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
I'ma gonna go with Tesla on the grounds that he wasn't a dick.

That's really where the debate begins and ends for me, rewarding someone who "won" in the end through underhanded bullshit doesn't strike me as a compelling position.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
*laughing* Terrific execution - what, for want of a better term, I'm going to classify as an apathetic frustrated rage on the part of the winner.

Also sliding the Oatmeal's terrific pro-Tesla bit here : http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

I'd rather be a stinky wizard than a dick.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Tesla - stupid, stinky wizard

Edison - dick

There has never been more apropos descriptions of these two.

Well played, Dan and Chris. Well played.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, Tesla was played by David Bowie in a movie, so he's ahead in that regard. No, wait, that means he instantly wins. And unless I missed it for a split second, I couldn't find one picture of a Tesla Tower from one of the Red Alert games in this video. Totally missed opportunity!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I was really weary of this beforehand... but then you nailed it, especially at the end, and it was a lot of fun!
Well done, Chris!!!

And technically; Neither of them *IS* the best, as they are both quite dead... one of them WAS the best. ;)
But you are right, the Internet will never ever ever agree on this. :)

BonGookKumBop

Feb 24, 2010
Thomas Edison was basically the Steve Jobs of his time. He lead an innovative team that changed the way the world interacted with technology. Many of his big patents were for sets of technology that were packaged together in ways that revolutionized the entertainment industry. I wonder how Steve Jobs will be regarded in a hundred years.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
The arguments were:
Tesla sucked at business.
Tesla was a cool dude.
expected a bit more.

also.
Tesla didn't really invented Alternating Current.
Those credits should go to Guillaume Duchenne (among others), somewhere around the time Tesla was born.
And looking back far enough, the foundation was made by Michael Faraday.

He was however (one of) the first to build an A-sync induction motor, and the AC power converter.
both a big deal in their own right.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
God if only the Oatmeal were on this episode.

If getting away with screwing over a bunch of people equals winning, I'm proud to be a loser.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Is this a debate? I had the impression that there were only two sides to this discussion. People who support Tesla, and people who haven't heard who Tesla is yet.

What constitutes victory? If Edison is being realized for the monster he is, then that's a loss in my book. There's nothing worse then infamy, except maybe obscurity.

captcha: Silver Spoon.

I agree, Edison had a large one where the sun don't shine.

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Tesla --- that is when he was alive, its just too bad after his death, Westinghouse screwed up business wise and General Electric continued onward.

Ole' Eddie even went so far as to electrocute an Elephant to death.

Sent packages to Tesla with odd items to remind him of his poor background.

Yes you are all right, a bonified Dick --- wasn't too far from Old Man Rockefeller.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Edison was a pacifist who refused to work on anything other than defensive technology for the military while Tesla begged the military to fund his "death ray" fantasies. He was part of ground breaking research in medical xray research but bitterly regretted being involved in the field because one of his friends became ill from too much radiation exposure when the safety issues were not well known.

Direct current is also much safer than alternating current but the problem with it for power transmission is that it would be less efficient and would need a lot more infrastructure. Really this is basic electrical engineering education now.

I suppose you could criticise Edison for not being willing enough to risk hurting other people stopping him from achieving all that he could and adopting obvious solutions.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Eh, basically here's how I see it.

If anyone disagrees let me know, this is just my general impression of each man.

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
They got a fact wrong here. Alternating Current (AC) created by Tesla was more dangerous than Edison's Direct Current (DC). To demonstrate the dangers of AC electricity Edison invented the electric chair used for executions. AC won in the end because it was far more efficient and required less copper to transmit electricity. Although DC makes our daily lives and this post possible and electronics exclusively use DC power.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Olas said:
Eh, basically here's how I see it.

If anyone disagrees let me know, this is just my general impression of each man.
Work Ethics? Edison? HA! That guy had people stealing "A Trip To The Moon", one of the most important movies of cinema history, to sell it himself in the US and keep the money rather than having, you know, the director and his team, who invented most of the special effects for the next forty years, getting the credit and the badly-needed cash.

It's like if someone stole copies of Star Wars in 1977 to sell them in Europe and Canada under their own name and ruined Lucas.

Durai

May 1, 2011
I was eating a bowl of Crunch Berries when I began watching this. BIGGEST goddam mistake of my life! Almost choked 3 times!