No Right Answer: The Simpsons vs Futurama

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
The Simpsons vs Futurama

Dan actually went to the same high school that Matt Groening went. In fact, he had the same teacher for economics that Matt based Mr. Burns on. Dan is afraid of that teacher. Matt, however, has gone on to bigger and better things, but which is bigger and better, the Simpsons or Futurama?

Watch Video

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good episode since the arguments were quite valid. I wasn't bother that the Simpsons won since they are both good series despite the recent seasons (I do got to give an applause the Simpsons for the stuff they did in the 90's).

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Treehouse of Horrors = Anthologies of Interest. I don't know why he compared it to the Futurama Christmas episodes. Both shows do Christmas specials that still follow basically the normal storyline. Treehouse of Horrors and Anthologies of Interest are where they can explore random ideas that may not make up a whole episode.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
I love both shows a lot. But I would have to say that Futurama was the best. It has a bigger cult following than the Simpsons. And every time I watch Jurassic Bark, I do tear up, just a little.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I'm honestly split by this one. The Simpsons have some truly great moments, but it's a show that should have ended a long time ago. Yet even then, I just can't quite compare the best of the Simpsons to Futurama. Consider me neutral.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Kyle drinks SO much faster than Chris. Chris is way too slow. Personally I prefer Futurama.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
Matt Groening owns the merchandising rights for the Simpsons, how much money do you think that has made him? :)

Goldhawk777

Jun 3, 2010
Futurama for the win. The Simpsons has gone on long enough and now is losing steam. Here's another vs match, Seth Mcfarland's The Cleveland Show, vs Family Guy, Vs American Dad. 3 WAY! Go!

The Simpsons was quite good in the beginning, but now they are remaking many of the episodes that they already did. Last Sunday, What happens when the Simpsons grow up in 15-20 years? They already did that with a fortune teller telling Lisa that she will marry Millhouse. Now they just want to continue it?

Hmmm, you know, just do an Old Simpsons series similar to Rugrats All growed up. That'll break the stranglehold of Seth Mcfarland on Fox....

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I'm going to have to go with Futurama here.
It may not have had as much influence on pop-culture, but it also didn't get run straight into the ground by Fox. Maybe it was for the best that they cancelled it - because Fox seems to destroy everything they touch - Futurama by cancelling while it was still a great show. The Simpsons by running it straight into the ground so that my memory of the great parts of it will be forever tainted by the utter crap it has been turned into.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Personally, I like Futurama more for the main cast and it's consistently better for me, but when Simpsons had it's moments, it was (and still occasionally is) more awesome.

With The Simpsons I kinda preferred some of the sidecast over the main ones, mainly Mr.Burns (and Smithers). As a kid I watched it almost solely for those two...

I think for the Simpsons Season 7 was the best. Probably about 5th-9th is where it peaked for me. But that's higly subjective, and even then there were episodes where I didn't give a crap. Not because it was bad, as such, but I wasn't personally invested.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It really goes down to quality/imagination or quantity/longevity. There are only about 10 main-ish characters in Futurama including the Planet Express gang, that alien blob guy, and the alien who is the king of his planet. Because there aren't hundreds of characters, they can all have multiple storylines, like the alien king having the "popcorn" offspring and having trouble satisfying his wife.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Father Time said:
Now we just need an opponent for South Park and we're set.
Other comedic cartoons of note are King Of The Hill, The Boondocks, and Beavis & Butthead. The first two are best comedic cartoons ever imo, but I'm not sure any of the three really are comparable to South Park. Just too different.