No Right Answer: This Generation's "Star Wars"

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Spot1990 said:
canadamus_prime said:
This generations Star Wars? So in other words what's this generations most over-hyped, self-raped, fan wank, geek property.
Oh, Dragonball Z then.
Tragically enough I can't argue with that. However DragonBall Z has nothing on Star Wars.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Spot1990 said:
-That one is a catch for HP, it doesn't have it's Yoda or it's "I am your father" moment. As far as I know anyway. There's not one seriously memorable moment that I can think of, that sounds bad but what I mean is there isn't one unifying moment in Harry Potter. It's got plenty of moments but not one that makes every single fan tingle.
And what memorable moment of comparable value does Lord of the Rings have?
That's right!

That's why the LOTR movies beat all. And they will also outlast both Harry Potter and the new Twilight movies with The Hobbit coming out after both series have run their course :p

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I'm going to say the LOTR movies myself. And since we're on a gaming site, I'll pose the question this way: Which one has the better games? I know I prefer the LOTR ones personally.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
draythefingerless said:
awsome117 said:
I'll defend the star wars prequels another time, as I have something far more true and even more hateful to say.

This generations "Star Wars" is Twilight. As much as I hate and detest Twilight, I can't think of a movie/book series that has caused more of an uproar and "re(de)volution" since Star Wars. Yes Harry Potter is fantastic and I do enjoy them (even though I'm not a fantasy guy) but Twilight seems to be the more dominate presence here.

Would say more but class time.
no.

Twilight is actually a symptom of the impact of Harry Potter. Twilight exists and is famous because of the Harry Potter effect. Harry Potter has a theme park. A THEME. PARK. It is part of pop culture now IN EVERY PART OF CULTURE. Twilight is just infamously bad. It just got a following with a specific very small section of the population. Dont kid yourself, Twilights fans are actually the minority.
Regardless, Twilight has made a cultural impact greater than Harry Potter (unfortunately). Yes Harry has a theme park (which is awesome by the way, anyone who hasn't been there should go) but didn't change our culture or anything. It just told a really good story. Harry Potter didn't change anything about witches and wizards, but Twilight changed (or gave the appearance) of redefining certain mythologies (even if they were bad). It has made a (almost cult like) following much in the way of star wars (god I hate that sentence) and giving way to a new breed of audience viewers.

To me, it seems Twilight has made more of a cultural impact on this generation than anyone else.

You either have die-hard fans of it, or people who flat-out hate it. There is almost no middle ground for Twilight and Star Wars (The originals anyway).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
JaceArveduin said:
I'm going to say the LOTR movies myself. And since we're on a gaming site, I'll pose the question this way: Which one has the better games? I know I prefer the LOTR ones personally.
But Lord of the Rings = Star Wars, they were popular in the same time and have survived that time.

That game and those films would not have existed without the books.

Harry Potter was the breakout hit of _this_ generation we were the one true generation because the books aged with us. It didn't have the same fantasy world in my opinion, it was aiming at something non Star Warsy but the way people react to Harry Potter, any girl you know who has read, all the harmonians on the internet. That makes it Harry Potter

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Prequels aside, I'd say Harry potter is this generations Star wars. LotR has been around for a long time, so it would be its initial year of release's star wars (or rather, star wars was its generations LotR).

Clankenbeard said:

In reading this thread, why exactly doesn't doesn't Warner Brothers start a Harry Potter MMO? Seems like low hanging fruit.
I dont think HP sets itself up for it well. with LotR, everyone wants to an elf or dwarf, or watever, with star wars everyone wants to be a Bounty Hunter, a Jedi, a Sith, someting. With HP everyone wants to be a wizard, but once you become a wizard you want to be THE wizard. So basically everyone would have to be either good or evil, and would have to be the same three characters. Unless you do some kinda future thing after harrys kids have kids, but I dont think that would do well since you wouldnt have Harry himself as a selling point.

edit:
GaltarDude1138 said:
Spot1990 said:
-That one is a catch for HP, it doesn't have it's Yoda or it's "I am your father" moment. As far as I know anyway. There's not one seriously memorable moment that I can think of, that sounds bad but what I mean is there isn't one unifying moment in Harry Potter. It's got plenty of moments but not one that makes every single fan tingle.
And what memorable moment of comparable value does Lord of the Rings have?
That's right!

That's why the LOTR movies beat all. And they will also outlast both Harry Potter and the new Twilight movies with The Hobbit coming out after both series have run their course :p
So... when the hobbit comes out and LotR does exhaust its source material its going to be just like Harry Potter.

Cause the only reason the hobbit is coming out is because it didt come out and people were looking for something to get that LotR money again in a failing economy. there's a very real possibility we'll see anther twilight movie based on that off shoot book she wrote about some vapire that I think ended up dying in one of the movies.

Or like the Narnia movies. They're only doing the ones the kids are in, so thats... thats something like I think three books that they're completely missing out on (I know theyre missing out on the first one, and a boy and his horse. tey may allude to the seventh one in the last movie they make as a way of tying things up, but I dont think you'll see a whole movie about the last battle).

and actually, you could say that HP is better than LotR, simply cause they DID make all the movies in a realtive close time of release, while the Hobbit they had to sit on and say "eh... I dont know if this is really worth it".

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
1990, I was born in the midst of this generation Y. Do I think Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Prequel Star Wars are my generation's Star Wars? NO! The Prequels are the horrid offspring of what the previous generation created. There are way better candidates. Besides, I don't want to think of my idea as This Generations "Star Wars" but more of This Generation's "Cultural Phenomenon." And Prequels doesn't qualify.
Harry Potter could work but I argue Lord of the Rings works better. Why? Yes, the books predate Star Wars, but you damned yourself Chris with a point you made. Dungeons & Dragons was based off of Lord of the Rings and it's world. D&D was created in the 80's (ish) and continues to have a strong following. We also have the movies as well. But I argue there are better examples of Cultural Phenomenons for my generation. here are some of them with brief reasons why:

Alien (series)... and by extension, Predator - This is probably my number one choice because it was released in the early 80's. It had comics and crossover comics with DC and Marvel (i think). It spawned videogames with Alien vs. Predator. It made more movies with Alien vs. Predator. Not only that, but you will hear numerous references to Aliens in a number of games and other movies. And if anything other than a film series can be used as our cultural phenomenon, it'd be games.

Toy Story (series) - A little closer to my agegroup, but we'll see what the masses think. The human character, Andy, and I grew up at pretty much the same rate. When he was a kid playing with his toys, so was I. When he went off to college, so did I. This was Pixar's premier film, essentially, and it allowed them to make many more amazing films. The story is amazing. It's the best trilogy ever (or one of the best ever). I'd say this is another excellent candidate.

Back to the Future - Speaking of amazing trilogies! BttF is another great trilogy that was released in the mid-late 80's that many people still go back and watch because of how great it was. Arguably, not as big a boom as Star Wars or the other two I mentioned, but another noteworthy candidate.

Terminator - Released in the 80's and 90's the Terminator series is another big one that people loved. It is referenced and parodied quite often. Not to mention it is probably one of the few things in Schwarzenegger's career he can look back on without feeling any guilt.

If you have to choose a Generation Y Cultural Phenomenon, please make it one of these. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are so far off target.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
1990, I was born in the midst of this generation Y. Do I think Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Prequel Star Wars are my generation's Star Wars? NO! The Prequels are the horrid offspring of what the previous generation created. There are way better candidates. Besides, I don't want to think of my idea as This Generations "Star Wars" but more of This Generation's "Cultural Phenomenon." And Prequels doesn't qualify.
Harry Potter could work but I argue Lord of the Rings works better. Why? Yes, the books predate Star Wars, but you damned yourself Chris with a point you made. Dungeons & Dragons was based off of Lord of the Rings and it's world. D&D was created in the 80's (ish) and continues to have a strong following. We also have the movies as well. But I argue there are better examples of Cultural Phenomenons for my generation. here are some of them with brief reasons why:

Alien (series)... and by extension, Predator - This is probably my number one choice because it was released in the early 80's. It had comics and crossover comics with DC and Marvel (i think). It spawned videogames with Alien vs. Predator. It made more movies with Alien vs. Predator. Not only that, but you will hear numerous references to Aliens in a number of games and other movies. And if anything other than a film series can be used as our cultural phenomenon, it'd be games.

Toy Story (series) - A little closer to my agegroup, but we'll see what the masses think. The human character, Andy, and I grew up at pretty much the same rate. When he was a kid playing with his toys, so was I. When he went off to college, so did I. This was Pixar's premier film, essentially, and it allowed them to make many more amazing films. The story is amazing. It's the best trilogy ever (or one of the best ever). I'd say this is another excellent candidate.

Back to the Future - Speaking of amazing trilogies! BttF is another great trilogy that was released in the mid-late 80's that many people still go back and watch because of how great it was. Arguably, not as big a boom as Star Wars or the other two I mentioned, but another noteworthy candidate.

Terminator - Released in the 80's and 90's the Terminator series is another big one that people loved. It is referenced and parodied quite often. Not to mention it is probably one of the few things in Schwarzenegger's career he can look back on without feeling any guilt.

If you have to choose a Generation Y Cultural Phenomenon, please make it one of these. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are so far off target.
all the franchises you said excluding toy story, are an 80s moment. star wars was released in the late 70s, early 80s. Generation Y is the generation that is born in the 90s and lives to this day. 1990-present. basically, all your options were born like a couple years after star wars. except toy story. and while memorable movies, toy story didnt impact the culture of the world. maybe your world, but not the world at general. i cant think of a thing they changed. HP changed a lot. it reinvented hollywood, reinvented book reading, reinvented teenager and kid idols. and it did it now, not when star wars came out.

DnD was invented in the early 70s and has ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, been around. it didnt appear out of nowhere in the mid 90s and revolutionize anything. the biggest cultural phenomenon of GENERATION Y cant be LOTR, as good as it is, thats not what matters here. it matters the impact it had in our world in the last 20 years.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Firefilm said:
This Generation's "Star Wars"
CULTURALLY speaking:

Lord of the Rings is more like this generation's Star Trek. There are plenty of people who enjoy the movies if they happen to be on... but the ones who seek it out are a particularly rabid, but relatively small fan base. Those who love it do so fiercely, and most others give it a polite nod.

Harry Potter had the mainstream appeal of Star Wars. But above all else, it had the sense of, "I grew up with those stories." The merchandise was everywhere, the costumes, the conventions, the huge lines for midnight openings.

STRUCTURALLY speaking:

Lord of the Rings is more like Star Wars. It's one long story told in three parts. They're following with a prequel. Heroes and villains rise and fall. It gives us more memorable moments and quotable characters specifically because of its more compact and concentrated presentation.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
darknight910 said:
Avatar: The Last Airbender anyone?
I thought M. Night Shamalamadingdong killed that forever.

Oh and, the generation after Gen Y -- might be Gen i, because I don't think they can keep up the X, Y, Z progression, because obviously Gen Z is teenage zombies. (At least I hope they can't.)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Personally, my "Star Wars" was Ghostbusters.

The proton pack was my lightsaber, and ECTO-1 was my Millenium Falcon.

Feb 13, 2008
This Generation X'er says "Bad Luck" ;)

Oh, and the Baby Boomers put forward Bullitt, The Italian Job and Breakfast at Tiffany's. Don't really think they had trilogies back then.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Quote of the week of the YEAR.

Pretty sure Kyle is gonna take this one home. What encapsulates our generation better than an unimaginative murder of what looked good only through the lenses of nostalgia?