No Right Answer: Ur Right Answer Contest Winning Video

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Ur Right Answer Contest Winning Video

Behold. The winners of the Ur Right Answer fan contest get their day in the sun! Keep a look out on Monday for No Right Explanation, where we will include video links to the runner up!

Watch Video

doublenix

Jul 16, 2009
Seriously? This is the one that won? Bad debate, bad audio, skewed camera, mostly monotone voices, etc. Please tell me this was the only entry and that's why it won.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I would have to go with Bioware on this.

In Mass Effect there's a plot that gives you a sense that something needs to get done. Then they give you the side mission as icing on the cake and in some cases actually flesh the world out.

In the Skyrim I dont even remember what the fuck point of anything I was doing was. That game is competlely about the dicking around in the world at the cost of story.

xrogaan

Mar 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm waiting for a game master to say: "Okay, you're a group of great warriors and your quest is to save the universe." instead of "You just wake up in a tavern with a hangover, you don't remember much."

That's the difference between bioware and bethesda.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
doublenix said:
Seriously? This is the one that won? Bad debate, bad audio, skewed camera, mostly monotone voices, etc. Please tell me this was the only entry and that's why it won.
It was far from the only debate submitted, and not everyone has professional filming equipment or training you know.

Noxogz

Nov 7, 2011
doublenix said:
I would say this shows the overall quality of the entries if this is the best one they got.

OT: I'd have to go with Bethesda on this one, I love the older BW games and for the longest time they were my favorite company but their recent games in my opinion have been lackluster to say the least, truth is Bioware is not the same anymore and it's never gonna be the same ever again. I don't hate them or anything, I just don't like them as much as I used to.

Bethesda on the other hand has Skyrim on their recent titles, a game I very much enjoyed and still go back to from time to time. They revitalized the Fallout franchise and while I didn't like the writing on Fallout 3 I can at least appreciate them for bringing the Fallout universe back to life (plus I loved FO: NV which would have never been made without FO 3).

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
In the Skyrim I dont even remember what the fuck point of anything I was doing was. That game is competlely about the dicking around in the world at the cost of story.
Now you can choose a side without having to trash the other.
Personally I'd go with bioware too for the soul reason that in Skyrim I don't feel like I have a character, just a watching perspective. You have far more limited choices in what to say and do in set quests but there's a lot of them. I love both for their strengths, but I don't consider the open world model or the linear story model a defining characterisitc in the RPG genre, it tends to be a mix of both.

Also, Bethesda hits the nail on the head on what it would feel like to be the 'chosen one' throughout. You say it costs storyline but we hardly ever find out what happens to the conquering hero after the mighty quest. And frankly, Skyrim gets it across nicely, everyone respects you but you still need to make a living.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I used to love Bioware . . . and then they remade the same game over and over again with slightly altered characters and settings. One game you're in the Star Wars universe. The next you are in The Orient. Another you are in a futuristic world or a generic fantasy setting. Regardless of the setting though or how the characters may appear different they are all largely the same.

This chart sums it up nicely.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
xrogaan said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for a game master to say: "Okay, you're a group of great warriors and your quest is to save the universe." instead of "You just wake up in a tavern with a hangover, you don't remember much."

That's the difference between bioware and bethesda.
I agree, Bethesda is much better, eight years ago it would have been a pretty brutal argument but no more. And I don't like their games that much :(
I know this was made a while ago, but I'm kind of surprised that one side didn't pick blizzard... you heard me, that's what I think of people.

Firefilm said:
doublenix said:
It was far from the only debate submitted, and not everyone has professional filming equipment or training you know.
Those people should stay off the internet

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I really don't know the answer to this one, they both have their pros and cons. However:

"Your choices affect the outcome in a Bioware game!"
I beg to disagree.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I believe Bethesda gets disqualified for a mid-drink belch and Bioware wins be default.

Not that Bioware needed the help.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
newdarkcloud said:
I really don't know the answer to this one, they both have their pros and cons. However:

"Your choices affect the outcome in a Bioware game!"
I beg to disagree.
Ha. "Vanilla ending" joke.

OT: I'm to go more with Bethesda on this one though both studios do have their own merits.

Bioware makes immersing stories that pull you in and let you experiment with how things go in it. Their characters are interesting and the decisions you make can not only affect how the you story goes (most of the time. Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 really did not show that in their endings) but how the party reacts to you.

Bethesda on the other hand make immersing worlds that can pull you in for 100+ hours and let you experiment with how you want to play. You can make characters that are really skilled with their weapons or somebody with a silver tongue that can talk their way in or out of anything they want. Though the main quests are linear in them, they're more geared towards just moving the player through the world to see the sites and encourage them to explore. To me, that's what role playing is about.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
It was good but i was expecting something more casual, like Froot loops or Trix, butts or boobies... damn, that would have been a good debate.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
"What if Bioware and Bethesda had a love child, a game with a wide open world and a cohesive story?"

Yeah. That was Fallout before Bethesda got their hands on it...

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I'm a bit torn on this one. My biggest issue with Bethesda, aside from bugs, is that the writing tends to feel uninspired and the dialogue forced/faked. The one exception to this rule was New Vegas, but New Vegas wasn't written by Bethesda, it was written by Obsidian. Bioware writing isn't the best, and it is often cliche(as if Bethesda's writing isn't), but I still find it better than Bethesda. However, gameplaywise, I would almost always side with Bethesda. The freedom is what gets me every time. I just don't feel Bioware has anything even comparable to the levels of freedom you feel in a Bethesda title.

As I said, I'm torn.

Creatural

Nov 19, 2009
I'm going to have to say Bethesda won for me. Strict class designation is one of the biggest killers in a game for me as it limits my ways to have fun and games are supposed to be all about entertainment.

It also, funnily enough, makes me believe in the game less when you have to stick to one class. In the real world I can meet someone who loves reading poetry, who's good at math, and who's an awesome rugby player all at once, yet the way some games are designed this kind of heavily differing skill sets is just not "realistic." Though that's not to say I need a game to be truly realistic either, it's just one pet peeve that can make an otherwise great game not as fun for me.

Count_A'ight

Dec 29, 2010
Good job to Reese and Phil. Also good debate over an issue that has no right answer. Personally I like having TOO many options, and yet I have only blown up Megaton once in the many times I've played Fallout 3. I just can't be the bad guy in a video game.

However, coherent plot at the cost of options is a good thing as well. I am still playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution over and over because I love the story and the setting/characters.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
The Deadpool said:
"What if Bioware and Bethesda had a love child, a game with a wide open world and a cohesive story?"

Yeah. That was Fallout before Bethesda got their hands on it...
I'll be honest and just come out and say it: I saw nothing special or great about the writing in Fallout 1.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Interesting question, but mechanically this didn't feel much like a debate. Rather we got two guys who are firmly entrenched in their opinions, neither of whom making any ground with the other. If you care about story, your choices making any impact in that story whatsoever or deep character arcs you go with Bioware. If you want to be able to go off the rails, do whatever you want and roleplay whatever you want in a pretty sandbox but don't care so much about the story then you go with Bethesda.

Ultimately I think this all points to how necessary Dan (or whoever they have as the referee of the week) is to the NRA debates as well as the idea of actually trying to undermine each other's points for the sake of some overall goal.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Aureliano said:
Interesting question, but mechanically this didn't feel much like a debate. Rather we got two guys who are firmly entrenched in their opinions, neither of whom making any ground with the other. If you care about story, your choices making any impact in that story whatsoever or deep character arcs you go with Bioware. If you want to be able to go off the rails, do whatever you want and roleplay whatever you want in a pretty sandbox but don't care so much about the story then you go with Bethesda.

Ultimately I think this all points to how necessary Dan (or whoever they have as the referee of the week) is to the NRA debates as well as the idea of actually trying to undermine each other's points for the sake of some overall goal.
Yay, I am necessary!