No Right Answer: Ur Right Answer Contest Winning Video

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Okay well to be honest, I personally prefer Bethesda, but I think the guy arguing Bioware did a better job... So I say BIOWARE for the win on that one.

The reason I prefer Bethesda from a role playing perspective, is that I look at role playing from the tabletop RPG perspective, and in a tabletop RPG the DM finds a way to get from the characters back stories to a place where they all meet, throws one or two encounters their way, to allow for character bonding, and then says.... okay now what do you do? and from there the characters get to move the story along through their actions JUST AS MUCH as the DM does when he/she throws various characters, items, locations your way.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Isn't the Bethesda X Bioware love child be Rockstar Studio?

I mean look at Red Dead Redemption.

foxtrot3100

Mar 8, 2010
Bethesda all the way. They go out of their way to create a massive and detailed game knowing that most players won't experience those details.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
For me, a good RPG has always been about a good story and your party, two things BioWare knows how to do. Even though I love Skyrim to death, BioWare makes better RPGs.
Also, really liked the debate, felt casual and relaxed and the accents were awesome.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Wow did not expect this to be won by people I know (albeit friends of a friend).

Regarding the actual debate; I couldn't pick I like both developers, sometimes I like being led around a well thought out story driven experience. Other times I just want to be given a sword and told to "go nuts".

N3Burgener

Feb 10, 2010
At 50 seconds into the video, Phil explains that the point of their debate is "to see who makes the best RPG games." Considering that neither BioWare nor Bethesda makes genuinely good RPGs these days, is it safe to say there's no right answer in this debate?

After all, any sensible "best RPG developer" debate should really be between the likes of Black Isle, Troika, Obsidian, CDProjekt, and Piranha Bytes (among others, no doubt) -- studios who actually do make good RPGs and not shallow, watered-down "RPG Lite" games.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
xrogaan said:
Yeah, I'm waiting for a game master to say: "Okay, you're a group of great warriors and your quest is to save the universe." instead of "You just wake up in a tavern with a hangover, you don't remember much."

That's the difference between bioware and bethesda.
You rang?

Yeah...I definitely have to agree, though more in the "specific story arc vs. open world do anything" aspect.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
TheAwesome said:
Well, as I entered the contest too, I don't know if I can form an unbiased opinion about the debate. But good on them for winning.

As for the topic, I'm gonna have to go with Bethesda. Bioware is great at building universes. You can't deny that the Mass Effect universe is amazing and the world of Baldur's Gate was rich with history. But that's sort of my problem with them. My first few hours with Mass Effect 2 (oh the pain of owning only a PS3) was spent reading a codex, trying to get up to speed with the lore they had created. I never even finished Dragon Age because the lore never grabbed my attention. Other than a plotline that tied directly to my character's history, I just didn't care.

Bethesda wins simply for FallOut New Vegas. Never have I felt so powerful in a video game. Not that the courier is a god or anything, but EVERYTHING you do has some weight on the world as a whole. When I finally beat the game and had all the characters narrate what had happened after the battle at Hoover Dam, I got chills. Such a phenomenal game.

I am a blood mage and command this thread to rise again.
Fallout New Vegas doesn't count Obsidian made it Beth published it.
Edit: Oh and While I am at it. Bioware wins. They have better Characters and betters stories. Both Bethesda and Bioware make interesting worlds though, but it is the people in the world that make you feel attached to it and Bioware is good at making great personalities(even if everyone in Mass Effect did have daddy issues).