No Right Answer: What's Ruining Halloween?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
What's Ruining Halloween?

Hope you're enjoying Smocktober! This week we get just a little more raunchy than normal talking about what costumes are ruining Halloween.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
Chris turned the sexiness against Kyle, like some bikini-topped martial art (Boob-do?).

Personally, I'm sick of "Zombie Everything". Taking a costume, ripping it a bit and smearing some fake blood on it is getting old fast; I swear in the last few years I've seen more zombie Disney princesses than I have regular princesses. If you want to go as Tony Stark, practise your one-liners and own it, don't add Karo syrup and pretend you're super cool and above the regular plebs.

Also, for a sexy spit-take, we turn to the person who makes everything sexy:
http://vk.com/doc168328597_293070594?hash=6aec206e67c14f890c&dl=a31b210a71e2d71fdc

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
1. Halloween is not about Christ but all the other guys and girls who are canon of the Jesus Christ fan fiction.
2. You can and should buy creativity. There are a lot of talented people out there who want to make money with their craftsmanship. If you like it, support them.
3 Sexy Spit-take is my new word for kissing. Thanks a lot.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
"College students are worthless."

As someone who spends most weekends in Athens (Georgia) I cannot agree with you more.

Sep 24, 2008
Yeah, I'm going to be that guy who thinks way too deep on this... mainly because I've been having this conversation way too much.

I'm voting Sexy costumes. For Reasons and my Sanity.

For Sanity.... really, I'm tired of having this conversation. The usual comment from my female friends is that they are tired of having to feel like they have to show up somewhere in a sexy costume because that's all that's being sold or that's what is to be expected OR that's what other women are doing. I feel that's a conversation that you need to have in house, ladies. Yeah, people attracted to women can or will like you dressing up like that for the most part, but that really doesn't mean anything.

The fact is a lot of people expect me to dress up like a Black character from something. Why? Because I'm black? That's great. That doesn't sway me. I'll do what I want, even if a mountain of other black people dress up like black things.

I'll get a lot of "It's different"s because of Peer Pressure. There's Peer Pressure in everything in life. In fact, my life would be a lot simpler if I became a thug. Then I'd fulfill so many expectations of me. It's presented in my life literally every day. But I am who I am so I don't succumb, even if it gets tiring.

Women shouldn't have to be made to show off their body for acceptance. Bottom line. If you want to, that's fine. But there will always be social pressure. You need to be able to shrug it off.

Now for Reasons. And this is the little more deeper part.

I think one of the major reasons why Sexy Costumes are such a big thing is because we have a ton of Sex Shaming for women. And it's the one time a year they can wear their sexuality and desires proudly... ironically as a 'Costume'. As to say "Oh, of course I'm not like this in real life. I have morals!"

I honestly do not think there would be such a clamor or need for this holiday if we didn't have such a thing as 'slut shaming'. Or it's real meaning: Women aren't allowed to have true sexual desires because they make babies and my mom was a lady!

If we could handle ourselves. If we could just allow women not to feel judged, threatened, or like a villain for daring to express the shame urges anyone born with hormones have... Halloween could go back to making kids riddled with diabetes and tooth decay, and the world would be a much better place.

Think of the children. You Bastard.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Heh. I usually like these vids, but this one was very weird to me.

"Be creative, but don't do this!"

"This is your one time to dress like whatever you want for the entire year; don't dress like that one popular character you like, cause a lot of other people will too and it annoys me to see too many".

I know that's not exactly what they mean, but it sounds like it to me. They're starting to talk like those ol' guys sitting on the park bench and complainin' about today's youth.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Clearly feminism is destroying Halloween. Why would you want to rob men of the sexy Monopoly costume? Unless you were an evil feminist.

Now excuse me, I have a sexy Asssassin's Creed Conner Girl costume to buy at a ridiculous price. See, Ubisoft cares dearly about their female fan base.

*heavy sarcasm all over the place.*

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Didn't you listen to Weird Al's "Perform this way"? For Lady Gaga, every day is Halloween.
Kyle came dressed to wreck it, but it was he who was wrecked.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
This "Sexy Costumes" thing appears to be an American phenomenon.

Halloween sucks anyway

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Symbio Joe said:
1. Halloween is not about Christ but all the other guys and girls who are canon of the Jesus Christ fan fiction.
Thank you, I'm so tired of people trying to make this about christianity because they're too lazy to do even a minute of background research into Hallowe'en.

Though I will say, in America,
, I think it's just turned into another "capitalism day" like christmas, you know, "SPEND ALL YOUR MONEY ON OUR STUFF!" just this time around it's candy. I mean, there's been no documented cases of people actually putting razors and needles in homemade candy, and yet we've been trained to shun and avoid anyone that makes their own candy for the day. If it doesn't come in a plastic wrapper, it's dangerous. Right? Dangit I just want to make popcorn balls and candy apples again... v.v

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
zombies. zombies ruinin' Halloween, because more than store bought costumes which, let's say there's two costumes that are going to be popular with the boys, your iron mans and your wolvereens, and maybe that one creepy kid who does a doom 2099. They've got a choice, which popular thing do I want to identify with? It's like politics, sure there's an arbitrary choice, but it's a choice. In more and more parts of the country they're having zombie parades/zombie walks which sure is pretty good, getting the kids out there and excercising them, but even more than choosing which popular image do you want to be, it's saying "this is the popular image that you need to conform to for this event"

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
America does Halloween costumes completely wrong anyway. Halloween is about skeletons, witches, ghosts and shit. Not Harry Potter, Sailor Moon, Captain America or whatever random cosplay you feel like.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
INeedAName said:
Heh. I usually like these vids, but this one was very weird to me.

"Be creative, but don't do this!"

"This is your one time to dress like whatever you want for the entire year; don't dress like that one popular character you like, cause a lot of other people will too and it annoys me to see too many".

I know that's not exactly what they mean, but it sounds like it to me. They're starting to talk like those ol' guys sitting on the park bench and complainin' about today's youth.
The hope is to put creativity into a costume, otherwise you're dressing up out of obligation rather than enjoyment.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Verlander said:
This "Sexy Costumes" thing appears to be an American phenomenon.

Halloween sucks anyway
I'm from norway and sexy customers are freaking everywhere. Its extremely boring. I dare say that in our contry its not because of repressed sexuality. We're pretty liberal in most respects. Its just that....well...girls like it. They like the attention. They dont necessarily want the attention of guys, but they DO want attention.

I wish people dressed up as horrible stuff more. Sexy is boring. Also, lots of skin might not be as sexy as a little skin. Meh. Halloween. Boring.

Great episode though, you're at your best when you're enjoying yourself guys. Fun is catching.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
I can think of other reasons besides costume:

Pedophiles ruin halloween, well for children and later in life... Because nobody else is going to say it.

The cosplay option to dress up any day of the year as whatever you want whenever you want.

The after halloween candy sale where rather than fork out $20-$100s to wear a costume and bug the neighbors you can take that $20 and get candy that could last you till the next halloween ...because preservatives

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Halloween may be highly commercialized, but dammit it's still fun. I don't normally dress up for Halloween, but if I do, it's because I was inspired to be that thing from a movie or game that others might not take the extra effort for. I'm not a cosplayer in the normal sense, in that I don't have that creative streak (or sewing ability) that so many that are seem to have so I really have to love something to put in the effort. Beyond that, if there's money to be spent, I'm using as much as I can to ghoul up my house with animatronic jumpscares, spiders, webbing, skulls, clowns - especially zombie clowns, ghosts - some homemade, some not, and pumpkins to carve.....so many stencils. The Halloween Spirit shop knows me well. This year I have a captive audience with my nieces and nephews, if only they could leave the decorations alone once I put them out.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Halloween just reminds me of how much people let social pressures influence them and it really makes it hard to really respect other people for letting it matter to them as much as it does. I have never understood why people who clearly want to dress or look like something else don't just do it, except on this one day of the year. They only let themselves be whatever they want on this one day. I just find it horribly depressing and sad.

I understand if you work in a place with a dress code, but not everyone does and even those that do have days off and yet it seems like very few people are willing to look how they really want. I constantly have people telling me that they aren't brave enough to wear certain things and it just dumbfounds me. Its not even because they think they would look bad in it. People are just way to afraid to be judged by others over trivial things that do not matter.