No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Un-Death

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Comic Book Un-Death

We've already debated worst comic death, but the publishers couldn't leave well enough alone. Just because you can hit the "Undo" button doesn't mean you should.

Watch Video

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
The death of superman in my opinion was the worst. I was just a comic book loving kid when that comic was released. Comic fans around the neighborhood mourned his death (yes, yes very dorkish). But when rumors started floating around that he was back, in multiple iterations I just couldn't get it. They made such a huge deal about his death and suddenly he's back? It was kind of the nail in the coffin for me as a comic book reader, luckily the comic book film trend got popular and now I'm back on the train (still, I have a loathing for all things superman because of this).

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
A landslide vote by an overwhelming margin, of one person spamming that 1-900 number to get 6% of the vote. "We" didn't kill Jason. The Joker spamming the line killed Jason.

Sep 24, 2008
To answer the spider-man options that are coming in, I say his 'death' was negated because they have been trying for years to get rid of Peter. Depowered him, found out he was a clone, Gave like... ten people his powers, blah, blah, blah. They've been trying so hard to replace Peter and they always end up going back. This one just happened to last the longest because it was 'Still Peter', so most people aren't so butthurt.

And to the No Right Answer, I still give it to Captain. We're talking about a main character game changer. His death SOLVED a crisis in the Marvel Universe. Not in the way I'd like, but it still happened. People just lost hope and faith when Cap was killed and was just beaten into submission for the sheer lack of moral from one man's death. Registration was then allowed. To liken this to real world, This would be like when Martin Luther King, JR was shot, Blacks looked on and just lost their steam and said 'Ok, I'm now fine with Jim Crow. Keep us under your heel as before. We're cool with it.'

Batman being a little more angsty had little effect on the DC universe. It was just a little more of the same. Worst yet, even if Todd is still alive, Batman still failed him. And the way Todd turned out is directly related to Batman's 'failings'. So, while Todd still walks, nothing really is undone by Prime Punching. If anything, it's even worse because Batman's actions didn't just stop someone from dying, but literally created the one thing he devoted his life to stopping: One more murder hunting. Using the talents that Batman instilled in him. That should be more of a heartbreaker for Batman than anything.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Captain America T shirt....talks about Captain America.
Venom T shirt....talks about Robin.

What...?

Tombsite

Nov 17, 2012
minnull said:
The death of superman in my opinion was the worst. I was just a comic book loving kid when that comic was released. Comic fans around the neighborhood mourned his death (yes, yes very dorkish). But when rumors started floating around that he was back, in multiple iterations I just couldn't get it. They made such a huge deal about his death and suddenly he's back? It was kind of the nail in the coffin for me as a comic book reader, luckily the comic book film trend got popular and now I'm back on the train (still, I have a loathing for all things superman because of this).
Obligatory link to "The Death and Return of Superman".

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
minnull said:
Beat me to it. This took everything about the death of superman and made it...well...nothing. It was just bad.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
and yet nobody mentions Aunt May? who has had some of the absolute worst get out of death free cards. Including what is arguably the worst one in comics history. One More Day.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Huh. No Superman? Really? I mean, you talk about superheroes dying and coming back to life, that's the one everyone remembers. That's the one that practically started this whole never-staying-dead business in both DC and Marvel.

One good thing to come from Jason Todd's death: The Under the Red Hood movie. Honestly one of the best DC animated movies I've ever seen. Didn't mention any of that Superboy Prime business, and it really examines what Batman has sacrificed by allowing the Joker to live and continue his murderous rampage.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
I can forgive bringing Jason Todd back for one reason: Under the Red Hood was an amazing DCAU movie. Frankly the fact that they were able to actually make something very enjoyable to watch out of the resurrection trumps the character repercussions of undoing it from my perspective. To my mind it doesn't even reverse the character change in Batman in the 'greatest failure' sense, since now, if anything, the consequences of the movie made Batman feel even worse about his failure.

Edit: Personally, I was surprised Superman wasn't one of the choices in this debate, since his entire death arc consists of the terrible plot of
1. Superman gets overpowered
2. Superman dies
3. But not really, he was just sleeping
4. Suddenly despite no actual character growth he can beat the monster that killed him

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
The end all be all of Un-death is when they bring back Prof Xavier. I mean, it WAS him and not some clone unless the clone also had the mental powers X had. At first I thought maybe he made everyone think he's dead but in the Uncanny Avengers, someone cut out a bit of his brain and stole his powers....so it had to be him.

So I'd love to see what bit of bull they'll pull to bring him back. Kinda like what they'll probably do to revive Nightcrawler.

I'd also throw in Batman's death. Shot with omega beams which later turns out to be omega sanction or some crap and that iconic pic of Superman holding Batman's skeleton instantly means nothing. He's been sent back in time. oh ok...sure.

Sure could use a Comics are Weird to explain this....

TheRobotandtheBeast

Aug 9, 2010
Not fans of the Ultimates universe huh? If you die there that's it. Your gone.
Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Peter Parker and most of his rogues gallery, Black Widow, King Pin.
A comic universe where death is permanent.

(sniffs) It's beautiful

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
minnull said:
So much this. You can execute the un-death as skillfully as you want, but ultimately how good or bad it is reflects on how skillfully the death was done. Death of Superman was a crowning achievement of the superhero genre. Bringing him back from the dead served only to cheapen it.

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
TheRobotandtheBeast said:
Not fans of the Ultimates universe huh? If you die there that's it. Your gone.
Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Peter Parker and most of his rogues gallery, Black Widow, King Pin.
A comic universe where death is permanent.

(sniffs) It's beautiful
Hear, hear. I'm loving Ultimate Spider-man. Specially when he met Aunt May and Mary Jane.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Righteous win for Jason Todd.
Cap... was just too obvious he'd be coming back.
And when the "death" means nothing, the un-death can't be that big...

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Jason's story wasn't bad in the movie. In fact, it was actually quite good, because it was more self-contained to the Batman universe.

Comic though...Well, you involve Superboy Prime and create the Retcon Punch, you've pretty much lost it.