No Right Answer: Worst Social Network Ever

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Facebook is for narcissists and Twitter is for stalkers. I rather waste my time with games, too.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Isnt this like choosing what manner you want to be rape/murdered? The differences are so inconsequential.

I would put forth Bolt as the best one though. It preceded all of the contenders even before social networking was called social networking, and at least with Bolt it had the simple common decency to go away peacefully and die without a whimper once it was irrelevant. Myspace & Google+ should have taken notes.

Breathing Meat

Jun 7, 2013
LinkedIn. Social networking minus any kind of joy. Transparently sucking up to arseholes because you want their money. "Business gurus" posting paragraphs of goodthinkspeak of the very worst kind. Recruitment agents trying to get their commission by spamming you with ads for low-paying jobs in towns you hate.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Blitzing said:
No offense, but you are obviously wrong, you forgot about google+. definitely the worst social network ever.
I was all for saying Twitter because Twitter removes the option to actually communicate and be social (which is bad for a social network) by severely limiting how much you can actually say which leads to abbreviations (which I loathe) rather than actual words.

Then you remind me of Google+. I am technically on Google+. I haven't signed up for it, I haven't once logged in and I haven't ever had any interest in it. I have clicked no on getting a Google+ account when I have signed into my Youtube account on numerous times, but at some point I just started getting messages about my Google+ account. Which they made for me without my permission or my confirmation.

I don't like Facebook or Twitter, but those two gave me the choice to sign up. Google knew I wasn't going to sign up so they did it for me. I know nothing about how Google+ looks or functions, but I still hate it for the way they reeled me in.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I have to say Facebook because of the level of advertising going on in it. Yes, I like Doom and Just Cause 2 but that doesn't mean I may be interested in 5 other games I may or may not have played/like. At least Facebook gets next to no info next to the less important info on my page, and they definitely do not suggest crap to me due to using Adblock and other browser extensions for Chrome that keep advertisers from tracking me.

I also killed the "People you may know" window via Adblock because it was showing mostly people I don't even know, likely friends of friends or friends of friends of friends.

The only things I hate about Twitter is on the mobile app I sometimes see sponsored posts with a tweet by a big/semi-big company posting about crap I have no interest in or don't like. The other is the bots I sometimes see replying out of nowhere when I reply to someone on my feed. They don't happen often but they are reported immediately.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
All of 'em.

And am I the only one who thinks 'blog' sounds just like the noise you'd make before puking?

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Both are horrible, and I don't use either, but I'm more offended by Twitter's character limit than by the fact that Facebook is high-tech gossip.

140 characters is utterly useless when a typical paragraph weighs in at around 500 characters and it takes several paragraphs to say anything substantial.

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
Facebook and Twitter? Geeze guys at least try to make things interesting. Those are the top two social networking sites you could have at least gone with Myspace and Google+ you know the bottom two of the largest social networks to find the worst.

Bad choices, bad episode.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Worst social network is One.lt
It was facebook before facebook existed (so no, facebook was not the first one with the idea), but once facebok came out it has went with so extreme "dumbest of the dumb" audience pandering. you know a person blocks you if you dont give his picture maximum rating because "Your ruining his rating", hats how dumb the audience there is.

Grabehn said:
I don't care about any of these, but I gotta say Google+ cuz they keep trying to force it into people harder and harder every single time.
the thing i hear from people that use it (including famous bloggers) is that G+ is actually much much better than Facebook but since noone uses it it becomes kinda crap for their work. personally i apperently "use it" without even knowing because whatever i do in other google services automatically become there because fuck privacy right.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
tzimize said:
Vigormortis said:

Seriously? Why not just beg them both as banes to human decency, rationality, intelligence, and society as a whole and move on with our days?

Seems like a good idea to me.
Yep.

Fucking social networks. How people can get so caught up in SO useless information I will never know. I vote both.
Isn't Escapist a form of social network?
Granted, it is social network with certain flavor, but still ranting about social networks on social network is kinda ridiculous

P.S. If you want to rant about social networks, write an article to some magazine.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Strazdas said:
Grabehn said:
the thing i hear from people that use it (including famous bloggers) is that G+ is actually much much better than Facebook but since noone uses it it becomes kinda crap for their work. personally i apperently "use it" without even knowing because whatever i do in other google services automatically become there because fuck privacy right.
I've heard that is good, but considering that Google won't allow me to comment on Youtube without it I said fuck it, and just stopped commenting on YT instead.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
blackrave said:
tzimize said:
Vigormortis said:

Seriously? Why not just beg them both as banes to human decency, rationality, intelligence, and society as a whole and move on with our days?

Seems like a good idea to me.
Yep.

Fucking social networks. How people can get so caught up in SO useless information I will never know. I vote both.
Isn't Escapist a form of social network?
Granted, it is social network with certain flavor, but still ranting about social networks on social network is kinda ridiculous

P.S. If you want to rant about social networks, write an article to some magazine.

Well, yes and no. While I take your point, a forum has traditionally been (and still is) a place to exchange opinions on a variety of topics. Usually a topic of specific interest to you. This is a gaming forum (mostly) and the discussions I partake in is gaming related (mostly).

If you cant see the rather obvious difference between actual discussion of a topic with your peers and endless pictures of what you're having for dinner today or "got a new phone" updates...well...there are social networks and then there are social networks...

Uristqwerty

Nov 21, 2009
In my experience, Twitter is at least not as bad. I can read a short discussion on Borderlands between the creators of Minecraft and Antichamber without having to create or log in to an account. The one time I tried reading comments of facebook, all I got was a login page...

So, as Twitter at least makes it possible to read tweets from interesting people without any actual investment in the site, I think that facebook is clearly worse (though if you want meaningful discussion, Reddit would be better than either, though it sucks, too.).