No Right Answer: Worst Third Movie of a Series Ever

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Worst Third Movie of a Series Ever

Filmed live in front of the Escapist Movie Night line, the gang take on the dreaded third movie of a series. Why do so many of them fall so flat, and which one fell the hardest?

Watch Video

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
When I click on the video I get an error:

Code:
200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''

Jan 12, 2012
That was good, but why don't you have a table? PAX lets you set up in the middle of a hall, but you can't use a lousy card table for 15 minutes?

Also, listing great actors in Pirates of the Carribean and not mentioning Geoffrey Rush?

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
Godfather Part III. Spidey 3 was bad. Star Wars prequels were bad. But it seems like Francis Ford Coppola showed how to screw up a perfectly movie with one simple choice. Sofia Coppola can't act. Every time she isn't on screen, the movie is good (sometimes great). Whenever she shows up, you can almost feel the movie's quality drop. Today, she's been replaced by Rosie Huntington-Whitely. At least she can direct.

Jan 12, 2012
portal_cat said:
it may have 8 movies to it but we're just going on the worse 3rd movie of a series then I'd say the third Harry Potter movie. There was no shrunken heads in the book and anything electronic doesn't function in Hogwarts. Not to mention the fading to black transitions was over done.
Aye, there were a few liberties with the script and the direction wasn't great (Alfonso Cuarón hadn't read any of the books or seen the previous films previously, and he had to take it across the gap between 'reasonably lighthearted magical childhood romp' to 'hero's journey complete with soul-eating creatures'), but it wasn't BAD. It was not great, but it was still serviceable.

Pirates of the Carribean III and Matrix III, on the other hand, were just bad. They had some decent moments, but they retconned so much, and the scripts were so poorly written, that they retroactively damaged their respective series.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
The Matrix Revolution.
Really?
I mean, it did suffer from being the worst in the series, but there's no way in hell that it matches X-Men:The Last Stand's level of bad, or Spiderman 3's, well...Spiderman 3 syndrome.

I could just be overreacting, as I consider myself a fan of the setting/lore etc.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Do we get to consider Crow 3, or was Crow 2 the franchise-killer there?

Barring that and the good points made in the vid, I'll second the motion to include Spiderman 3 in this argument. It's a legitimate contender.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Am I really in that much of a minority for liking the third PotC movie?

I mean, that over Spiderman 3? Really?

Apparently I have bad taste in movies.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
When I click on the video I get an error:

Code:
200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/766d9ea2d7d02d7e2dec3a7c47146f9d/mp4_hq/escapist/no-right-answer/32d898279e6b94179b03592f6d732ca0.mp4''
it's a ping error, refresh the page and try again till it works (can take up to 6 tries on some days)

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
I am really surprised that Spiderman 3 wasn't mentioned, so many problems with few or no redeeming factors.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Maybe it's just me but I actually liked all of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It might be because I never thought of the movies as partly realistic, and I liked how the the 3rd movie was whimsical.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
The7Sins said:
portal_cat said:
What hurt that movie even more was the fact that the third Harry Potter book was the only one that was bad. Not really a good sign for a movie to be good if the book it is based on is bad.

As for my answer the Matrix 3 not a single redeeming quality of the movie. I'm surprised Pirates 3 was a part of the debate I actually liked it.
I thought both Pirates 2 and 3 had scenes that were just drug out too long for their own good.

There were so many choices for this, I'm surprised that Pirates 3 was even taken, given so many options like Spider Man, X-Men, Terminator, and probably quite a few more.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Ah, X-Men: The Last Stand. I'd say it trumps both of those. Also, Batman Forever (although, I absolutely love Jim Carrey screaming, "YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP!" at Tommy Lee Jones).

Also, Toy Story 4 won't be the fourth movie of a trilogy, since Toy Story was never a "trilogy" so much as they made a movie, then another, then another (I mean, Toy Story 2 was originally going to be direct to video, but then the original cast returned and the story was "too good" to be direct to video).

Also, while we seem to be focusing on bad geek third movies, there are certainly others to choose from: Jaws 3D, Saw 3, American Pie 3, Rush Hour 3, Godfather III, etc. etc. etc..

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Matrix: Revolutions is unequivocally a worse movie than Pirates of The Caribbean: At World's End.

Just don't ask me to choose between M:R and On Stranger Tides. That movie made my brain want to vomit.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
That was good, but why don't you have a table? PAX lets you set up in the middle of a hall, but you can't use a lousy card table for 15 minutes?

Also, listing great actors in Pirates of the Carribean and not mentioning Geoffrey Rush?
I think if we would have used a table, it would have had to be paid for. Kinda like no parking zones that you don't get a ticket for if your car is still running. The moment you turn your car off it becomes a "park" and you get a ticket. As long as we were standing, it wasn't a booth and we didn't have to pay.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
I don't know 4th movies can be ok. POC4 did what it set out to do. Make a movie that ends with more actors then it started with so that no matter who agreed to do a straight to TV video 5th one it would be cannon and they would have backstories out of the way.