No Right Answer: Worst Videogame Sidekick Ever

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Dan should look up information on things he's going to debate because he got a lot of things wrong....

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Dan should've mentioned tails in sonic 2 and 3, also known as THE F***ING BUBBLE STEALER

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Yea Tails was actually a fun character in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Slippy is just... gah.
Words can not describe what Slippy is.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Rakor said:
Ok, who is the hero, videogames or comic, that has the greatest number of sidekicks simultaneously?

Minions, hired hands, and military units not counting. Has to be people that you can look at and say, yeah thats a sidekick.
That's easy: Batman. That's why I never got his "grumpy, paranoid loner" schtick when he had enough proteges to fill every seat in a VW mini-bus. All his former and current Robins and Batgirls (except Stephanie Brown, don't know what happened to her since the new52 began) work together with similar costumed heroes around the world in Batman, Incorporated. It's awesome!

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Obligatory.

That said, I think we all know Slippy was just there for moral support.

Personally, I have a hard time labasting any sidekicks when we've got games like Ico where the secondary characters exist wholly to be obstacles for puzzles.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
This is not even close. Like comparing Jar Jar Binks to Bucky in Captain America for Movies. One is clearly useful and helps alot, and the other you just wish would die sooner than later.

Just because Sonic has fewer powers doesn't make Tails a bad sidekick. He's not the only video game character to have a supporting character have a more interesting and varied skill set steal their thunder due to the main character having cemented themselves into a narrowly defined set of abilities.

- The Belmonts have been playing Second fiddle to whomever is the main star of the game on that day since they're pigeon holed into their classic whip, dagger, cross, axe, holy war strike package for over 20 years with very little variation. if they appear in the game, they are a bonus character in some games. In harmony of despair I play as Shanoa over those whip users any day...Why because her move set is awesome. (especially in her own game.) Alucard went from bozo in castlevania 3 that even Dracula was ashamed to call his son to a showstopper in Symphony of the night. Which was the beginning of the end for the belmonts, as konami decided to branch out the series alot more.

- Zero and Axl both have a bit more going on under the hood than X. Capcom start tossing more armors to Megaman X turning him into the video game world's ironman to keep his classic buster everything to death style a bit more varied. Zero seemed to be everyone's favorite, to point his death was reversed...twice! They even at one point gave X zero's saber to make him more like him. (actually two of the game's he has it.)It wasn't till X 8 that we saw X go back to his more tradiational style, and let Zero be Zero. (X 7 , Megaman X wasn't even playable at the beginning heh.)

- Classic Megaman has been neutered down to what purist would class the Megaman 2 experience in Megaman 9 and 10. (I hate they stole his iconic slide.I can live without the charge.)Making Protoman the version of Megaman who has the charge and slide. (At the cost of extra damage and only 2 shots at a time.) The anti-hero Bass however is completely superior to Megaman for most part as he can fire in every direction but straight down and has a dash, and a cooler dog/jet mode. I'm sure that was intentional since he's a DLC bonus you pay for...He's gotta be worth your money.

- Mario in super mario rpg was limited mostly to his classic fighting style from the 2D platformers. Everyone else was either brand new(such as Mallow and Geno), or never had a signature style (Peach and Bowser.)that they could adapt whatever the heck they wanted to them without conflicting canon. While mario still useful, the other characters movesets felt much more natural to that world than his did.

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
Tenmar said:
Also ya just asked for Bunnie Rabbot to be Sonic's sidekick.
My first thought as well. You have to admit, that would be more interesting...

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Man, the score was being kind to Dan this week. I mean, half his "objections" could be answered in a two-minute perusal of any given Wiki article on the kid. Slippy on the other hand is just inexcusable.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
InugamiTheHound said:
Tails was useless in Sonic 06 with that stupid throwing fake rings move.

Slippy can't do shit in any of the star fox games.

I rather have Tails over Slippy any day of the week.
[HEADING=2]SONIC '06 IS USELESS IN GENERAL[/HEADING]

Sorry. But seriously that game was a trainwreck and is not real.

Tail is by far better then Slippy. I love that little Fox. He was essentuall the Easy mode in Sonic 2/3&K and any other game you can play as him over Sonic.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Have none of you read the Sonic comics? Tails is a goddamn chosen one who frees his parents from an alien prison and then helps establish a democracy.
He's BADASS!

And let us not forget him in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2!

<youtube=1sgpq4ArjhQ>
<youtube=EmtOUxQdfQ4>
<youtube=OrWIpWgvLC4>

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I always seem to agree with Kyle. I actually like Tails he is a little annoying but he is whimsical, and he helps Sonic in his adventures with inventions and he also chips in in the fights.

Although I kind of disagree with this person's image of Tails, Tails is more of a four year old prodigy rather than a badass, but then again I haven't read any Sonic comics.

saintdane05 said:

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Companion Cube is worse than Slippy, you need to kill it in order to progress.
But you feel bad about it. Meaning you love a cube more than Slippy, because he's a jackass who deserves to die.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
verdant monkai said:
I always seem to agree with Kyle. I actually like Tails he is a little annoying but he is whimsical, and he helps Sonic in his adventures with inventions and he also chips in in the fights.

Although I kind of disagree with this person's image of Tails, Tails is more of a four year old prodigy rather than a badass, but then again I haven't read any Sonic comics.
He still invents. He is their pilot, but Rotor is more of their tech guy. And Tails saved the universe at age ten.
Think about that.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
As many have pointed out, Dan is no authority on the animal kingdom as echidnas are real animals. And Knuckles not only is a cool and capable character on his own but also had a perfectly valid reason to exist. He was the guardian of the floating island and the master emerald.

Back on topic: Tails is certainly not the best sidekick but in no way is he the worst. If you just want to talk Soinic characters then how about Chip from Sonic Unleashed? If Tails can get on your nerves then even a minute of Chip is enough to make a person fellatio a gunbarrel.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
saintdane05 said:
He still invents. He is their pilot, but Rotor is more of their tech guy. And Tails saved the universe at age ten.
Think about that.
I think we are looking at it from different perspectives.

I just know the games and I watched Sonic underground when I was a kid, I don't know about any of the comics or cartoons or any of that shit. I have played quite a few Sonic games and in them Tails hasn't saved the world at all he just helps Sonic.

I understand you have taken the time out to read up on Sonic's backstory, but I am just apporaching Tails from a video game perspective, where compared to Sonic he is rather crap.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
verdant monkai said:
saintdane05 said:
Think about that.
I think we are looking at it from different perspectives.

I just know the games and I watched Sonic underground when I was a kid, I don't know about any of the comics or cartoons or any of that shit. I have played quite a few Sonic games and in them Tails hasn't saved the world at all he just helps Sonic.

I understand you have taken the time out to read up on Sonic's backstory, but I am just apporaching Tails from a video game perspective, where compared to Sonic he is rather crap.
According to Sonic Adventure 2, he practically formulated the plan to destroy the ark, then saved Sonic's life and beat up Eggman. He stopped a nuke from hitting Station Square. Mostly. Kinda. He can also beat up Sonic pretty badly, at least in Sonic Battle.