no screen from laptop to tv

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have a hp laptop with win 10 on it and i have connected an HDMI cable to my tv. i expected that it will automatically display my stuff from my laptop on tv but nothing. tv keeps saying : no signal".
i looked it up on google and everyone says i have to go to the resolution and display settings and select the second screen. only i have no second screen. just 1. i have no other options to select a second screen.
the cable is new and it works fine with other devices but from my laptop to tv, nothing. like i didnt pug in anything.

the cable works fine with other devices and i even tried my HDMI from my computer but this didnt work either.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I suggest trying a different cable and a different screen. If that doesn't work your laptop might be faulty. It might also be worth making sure your video drivers are up to date as Nvidia at least had some issues with early Windows 10 drivers.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
did that too. nothing.
still behaves like nothing is plugged in. latest drivers are installed as well. i have an AMD radon card. and the laptop is not even 6 months old.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Did you at any point before this try it and have it work or did it never work? Sounds like the HDMI out is defective to me.
This is going to sound like a stupid question, but did you try rebooting it?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i have never tried it before. i just plugged it in and nothing worked. i expected something on my tv screen nut nothing appeared. and yes, i did reboot it.
i have tried to plug it in wile both devices were running. i have plugged it in and then started up my laptop. none of it worked.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Well then, last question:
Is it under warranty?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
it is. but i cant give it away now because i need my laptop for my studies. thats the main reason i got it. just like to connect it to my tv because my mother gave me a site (presto) were i can watch movies and its obviously better on a bigger screen.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
I think your only option then is to consider getting it looked at by someone locally if you have the money to cover it. I don't suggest this for obvious reasons though.

Sep 14, 2009
Metalrocks said:
i have a hp laptop with win 10 on it and i have connected an HDMI cable to my tv. i expected that it will automatically display my stuff from my laptop on tv but nothing. tv keeps saying : no signal".
i looked it up on google and everyone says i have to go to the resolution and display settings and select the second screen. only i have no second screen. just 1. i have no other options to select a second screen.
the cable is new and it works fine with other devices but from my laptop to tv, nothing. like i didnt pug in anything.

the cable works fine with other devices and i even tried my HDMI from my computer but this didnt work either.
one last obvious question, did you click "detect" after you plugged in the hdmi to both the laptop and tv?

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
*glances at thread* *cracks fingers*

Ok so here's what ya need to do.

1. Make sure that the TV is set to the correct input channel. If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs that it's easy to confuse one for the other one. It sounds like a "no shit sherlock" moment but you'll be surprised how often this is the culprit. Be sure to also set audio input to Digital for that channel instead of Analog or you'll have no sound; but first let's get an image.

2. What model Laptop are you using and does it have a separate graphics card aside from the onboard? If your laptop has a separate card then it effectively has 2 cards, you need to find out if the card the HDMI connection is attached to is de-activated. A card may be de-activated from the BIOS so if you can go in there and check out the devices to see if any have been disabled.

3. If everything above is in working order, go into the PC's device manager and see if Display Adapters are both fine (no warning signs), if warning signs then the drivers need updating or they are otherwise disabled either by the BIOS or maybe even an application.

4. Go to Desktop/Display Resolution and see if there are any multi-monitor options. You should also have a key on your keyboard that toggles it automatically:

(F5 in the above pic)
Hold Function + that button and it should toggle between Laptop Only, TV Only, Laptop + TV Clone (same image), and Laptop + TV stretch (double monitor) in whatever order.

Please try the above steps and let me know if you get anywhere with them. :)
If it doesn't fix it, please post PC specs (make, model, Graphics Card(s), etc) and quote me so I get the notification and I'll take a more in-depth look. Though it COULD be something is broken, it's unlikely.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
done that. clicked on detect, it did find the tv but still no screen.

and yes, i did check every HDMI input the tv has. originally i plugged it in to HDMI 1 but had no screen, so i have tried the other 2, same results.

not sure about the model. i have to check that out. but i know i have one GPU in it. i also have pressed the "fn" key and F4 (which has the display option on it). no reaction, nothing. i will try it again and let you guys know.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Metalrocks said:

and yes, i did check every HDMI input the tv has. originally i plugged it in to HDMI 1 but had no screen, so i have tried the other 2, same results.

not sure about the model. i have to check that out. but i know i have one GPU in it. i also have pressed the "fn" key and F4 (which has the display option on it). no reaction, nothing. i will try it again and let you guys know.
Only having one GPU shouldn't make a difference as I've only got one in my laptop and have been able to connect to tv's without issue. There's normally several options for sending the laptop screen to a tv or monitor. Duplicate, extend and projector only. Have you tried all of these options?

Also this may sound stupid but did you make sure your tv is set to the correct input channel?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
The Enquirer said:
Metalrocks said:

Only having one GPU shouldn't make a difference as I've only got one in my laptop and have been able to connect to tv's without issue. There's normally several options for sending the laptop screen to a tv or monitor. Duplicate, extend and projector only. Have you tried all of these options?

Also this may sound stupid but did you make sure your tv is set to the correct input channel?
its even in my comment you have quoted: that i have selected different inputs to be sure and none of them have worked.

but where would i find this duplicate, extend and project? cant remember seeing that in the display option.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Metalrocks said:
The Enquirer said:
Metalrocks said:

its even in my comment you have quoted: that i have selected different inputs to be sure and none of them have worked.

but where would i find this duplicate, extend and project? cant remember seeing that in the display option.
I wasn't sure if you had your monitor set to an HDMI input though. Like I said, it's stupid, but then again sometimes we can't find our phones when we're holding them. I was under the impression you plugged the cable into different inputs, not changed anything on the monitor.

With mine it's simply when you hit the function key and f4, whatever the change screen option is on yours.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
on my laptop now. before i was on a different pc.

i have plugged in now, went to display, clicked on "detect" and i get instantly a message saying that it didnt detect another display.

it also appears i have 2 gpu.
1. amd radeon r5 m330
2. intel HD graphic 550

on both i have clicked on properties but none of them have anything about HDMI or anything to change the display. unless im looking at the wrong place since im not too familiar with win 10.

i see now what you mean with F4. i have always pressed FN and F4 together. this time i only pressed F4. now these have come up but didnt matter what i chose. still no screen on tv. tv still happily displays "no signal".

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Deshin said:
*glances at thread* *cracks fingers*

Ok so here's what ya need to do.

1. Make sure that the TV is set to the correct input channel. If your TV has multiple HDMI inputs that it's easy to confuse one for the other one. It sounds like a "no shit sherlock" moment but you'll be surprised how often this is the culprit. Be sure to also set audio input to Digital for that channel instead of Analog or you'll have no sound; but first let's get an image.

2. What model Laptop are you using and does it have a separate graphics card aside from the onboard? If your laptop has a separate card then it effectively has 2 cards, you need to find out if the card the HDMI connection is attached to is de-activated. A card may be de-activated from the BIOS so if you can go in there and check out the devices to see if any have been disabled.

3. If everything above is in working order, go into the PC's device manager and see if Display Adapters are both fine (no warning signs), if warning signs then the drivers need updating or they are otherwise disabled either by the BIOS or maybe even an application.

4. Go to Desktop/Display Resolution and see if there are any multi-monitor options. You should also have a key on your keyboard that toggles it automatically:

(F5 in the above pic)
Hold Function + that button and it should toggle between Laptop Only, TV Only, Laptop + TV Clone (same image), and Laptop + TV stretch (double monitor) in whatever order.

Please try the above steps and let me know if you get anywhere with them. :)
If it doesn't fix it, please post PC specs (make, model, Graphics Card(s), etc) and quote me so I get the notification and I'll take a more in-depth look. Though it COULD be something is broken, it's unlikely.
well, still not working. so here are my specs:
brand: hp 15-ac046tx
5th generation intel core i5 5200U
4096mb ddr3 sdram
radeon graphics (you may have noticed that i have posted them already

hope this helps.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Is this a fresh install? Might be missing some crucial drivers or Windows Updates.

Try turning off the laptop, connecting the HDMI, and switching it back on. Sometimes for whatever reason it fails to connect properly so see if this works.

Go to the display properties as follows:

Open Display Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, clicking Personalization, and then clicking Display Settings.

You should be able to click on a small monitor which is your TV.

Do note that unless the TV is connected and on the correct input your laptop won't detect it. It also might be a setting from your TV itself. Play around with the settings and see if there's some sort of setting to enable PC connections etc.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
well i'll be damned.
i have tried a different HDMI cable and suddenly it worked. so looks like this one i was given must be broken. i just plugged in the new one and suddenly it recognized it and had my pc being displayed on my tv.
weird that my HDMI from my didnt work.

well, thanks anyway to everyone. at least you were way more helpful than the other forum i have asked for help.