No Videogames for Trapped Chilean Miners

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Tips_of_Fingers said:
they should let them watch The Descent...or The Hole... or any number of "trapped in holes" style disaster/horror movies. Surely they'd see the funny side???
What about giving them a preview of Buried.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Well, at least give them a Playstation 2 and some party games for the Eyetoy. Also an Eyetoy. They'll have a blast and it won't isolate them.

If not, let them watch the entire Back to The Future series. That is entertainment.

Calumon: Why not give them some music? Dancing makes you happy!
Yeah, what's wrong with music? Btw, love the new look Calumon, you little cute, rascal!

OT: But there's never anything good on TV! This is inhumane!

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I can understand the psychologist's reasoning with the PSP, or any other portable console, but maybe he is a little behind on the times.

How about giving them an XBOX360 or a PS3 with a sizeable collection of multiplayer only games? I mean, they already are over there standing, or sitting, in front of a tv, relaxing and doing absolutely jack but watching appropriately handpicked movies. How about giving them games where they can compete, cooperate, and bond with each other?

How about them playing FPS's on system link, or sports games, or racing games, or building crazy shit in Little Big Planet? If they could send them tv's they could have sent them consoles, right? Videogames can be an engaging, social experience.

I'm not negatively criticizing the decision since videogames aren't a need, at all, just merely pointing out that they could've served a useful purpose given the situation.

Anyways, they'll be allright.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
So they have a bunch of PSPs down there but they're not 'allowed' to play them? Ha. Doesn't work with Minors, won't work with Miners.

See what I did there?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Shit, I feel even worse for the miners now. Those support bastards basically have the option to torture the miners with anything they choose.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Kross said:
Why don't they hook up a console to the TV? Play some Rock Band or any co-op game.
first thing that comes to mind is that they don't want to create any sort of division, games like Rock Band or any co-op game can and will tempt (destructive) competition thus removing the "working together" aspect the psychologists are trying to keep intact.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...THat is so stupid! Let them have some itneractive fun!

...give them a Wii at least...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Instead of games or music, the trapped men spend their relaxation time in front of the television, watching a mix of news programs and movies for up to 13 hours a day. The support team picks what the miners watch, sticking with action movies or comedies and avoiding anything that it thinks might depress the men.
They're trapped in a fucking hole! How much more depressed can you get? Also, send a few Wiis down there with some Mario Party games, They can atleast have some fun.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I wouldn't terribly mind being trapped in a mine if I could play video games all day. I think I would be much more likely to get depressed/ go insane without them.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
I say they should get some games or entertainment they pick at least, but one thing, isn't the hole/pipe thingy that connects them to the outside nowhere near big enough to send something like an xbox down? I may be mistaken since they have a tv but I'm sure I heard that it wasn't too big (the hole).

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
"no option but to survive,"
without gaming? [dismissive grunt] good luck with that. I wouldnt even bother trying!
seriously though its a shame to hear theyre not out yet and i wish them all the best

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
I noticed a lot of boo to this but I actually think it is a good idea I mean they basically are basically in solitary confinement with other people and probably the only thing keeping them sane would be their interaction with other miners and a single player video game system would be a bad idea, although sending down a few more tvs and having reach tournaments and such might be much better then tv.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
When it comes to psychology, you need data: experiments, case studies- numbers. There is not a great correlation between sounding right and being right. Or sounding wrong and being wrong. If the psychologists are relying on the data, I think they will make the best possible recommendation.

I wish those poor miners all the luck in the world!

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
I must have missed the part where they got trapped :/ but if they can hand them psps can't they get out?