No Violence needed

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StorytellingIsAMust said:
I think you guys are confusing "violent" with "gory". Violence just means that you are physically attacking someone, which both Mario and Sonic do all the time. Gory is the bloody gruesome stuff from God of War, Ninja Gaiden, etc. etc.

That being said, if you want great, nonviolent gameplay, check out Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney series (though Ace Attorney is about a bunch of murders, so whether or not it's violent is still up for debate in my head).
Really, a legal game isn't violent. The results of violence are involved, but the gameplay isn't violent, you take no part in violence, etc.

Now, the FPS based on the AA series...>.>

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JPArbiter said:
HassEsser said:
I agree with you, but then again, I am a firm believer that any type of game can be fun and interesting. Mario Galaxy, I think, is the perfect example of a non-violent game, that is also extremely good.
even in Mario you commit acts of violence, stomping Mario's 200+ pound frame onto a living creature, or feeding a creature to your dinosaur buddy.
Even eating the mushrooms is kind of dodgy, all things considered.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Risingblade said:
I honestly can not think of a game where I haven't committed even one act of violence.
Hmmm, well there are plenty of management sims, flight/vehicle simulators, and similar things that don't have any violence at all, not to mention old games like Lunar Lander.

You've probably played them, but they didn't stick in your mind.

Oct 30, 2010
Since I haven't tried to cut someone with a playing card for about a decade, I think there's a bunch of games that pass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
4173 said:
Since I haven't tried to cut someone with a playing card for about a decade, I think there's a bunch of games that pass.
I don't try to cut people with playing cards. I do cut people with playing cards.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Treblaine said:
Let me try to think of games I have enjoyed where you are not violent:

-Portal
-Portal 2 (Unless if you include shoving over machine gun turrets as "violent")
-Air Control iOS (there is violence if you fail - mid air collision - but that's not the intention)
-VVVVVV
-Dirt 3
-Super Meat Boy

Borderline:
-LA Noire (isn't it possible to play through the game never drawing your gun?)
-Batman: Arkham City (never use any lethal force)
-Think you can also play through Deus Ex HR with no kills
This depends on you definition of violence . Is violence merely the act of killing someone? Is it the act of someone dying? Is it phisucally harming someone?

I personally say batman is a violent game because you beat the snot out of people ( like if a person were to punch you and cause you physical harm )
LA Noir also ( you know the fist fights)
Deus ex also

Now super meat boy ( you die in horrible ways)
VVVVV also
Portal and portal 2, various ways to die

Again it depends on the definition of violence and what people consider to be violent.