No Xenomorphs in Prometheus 2

Ancient Mariner

Jan 8, 2014
I absolutely adored Prometheus when it came out and certainly experienced quite a bit of dissonance when I heard about the outpouring of negativity towards it. When it comes to science fiction films I am able to willingly suspend my disbelief (you must if you want to become absorbed into the story in any way). While it may be true that some of the characters act irrationally at times I honestly do not see this as a major issue. There are many instances where people fail to act in the most pragmatic and reasonable way. Just by virtue of the fact that these scientists are on an unexplored world and are staggered by the majesty of it all, I can understand why they might be disorganized. That's really beside the point though. The central pull of the film for me were the larger themes the film tackled, the allusions to Lawrence of Arabia and the rich symbolism of the film. I really like it but I also understand why some may dislike the film for subjectivity is an obviously inherent part of the arts. There's a great piece that a man by the name of John Kenneth Muir wrote on the film that reflects many of my own sentiments for anyone who is interested,http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.ca/2012/06/cult-movie-review-prometheus-2012.html

OT: I'm excited for a Prometheus sequel and think the decision to omit the deacons may aid in further distancing Prometheus from Alien. I think that only tangential connects are necessary in any further Prometheus films as they should remain distinct entities altogether.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
I'm going to agree with Scott on this one.
The Alien/s have been done enough.
I don't understand the hate for Prometheus.I thought it was really good.

Jung Frankenstein

Sep 16, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Just watched the film...and really ...i dont understand the hate. It was enjoyable and mysterious as an experience. It kept me interested...the characters werent 'bad' as people like to keep saying, but how can you flesh out that many characters with everything else in the film anyway? I only remember one interesting character from alien...what were people expecting? I mean really?
Bring on the next one, i say! I am willing to be surprised! (positivity!)
You seriously only remember one character from Alien? I assume you mean Ripley... but you know Sigourney Weaver didn't even get top billing in that movie? I just watched it the other day. And also, nothing burst out of her chest.

On the other hand, how many characters can you name from Prometheus off the top of your head? Even after just watching it?

Or, if you truly don't understand the hate directed at the movie, how many characters do you remember from Blade Runner? I've only seen that once and I remember three distinct characters. Gladiator? That's what we're comparing it to, Scott's other stuff. Prometheus was a mess. It only works if you don't think about it. Which is ok, I guess, but not really something you want people saying about your film when you're a famous auteur.

As for the Deacon not being a xenomorph, it's been established in the canon that the xenomorph species is biologically based on whatever it bursts out of. Look at the name: xenomorph. "Xeno" refers to species, "morph" indicates a change. It changes species. Just because it's called a Deacon doesn't mean it's not a xenomorph, any more than saying that scorpion isn't an arachnid.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
I totally don't understand people who say the Alien franchise died after Aliens. IMO, Alien 3 holds up better than Aliens do these days. I rewatched the entire saga on BluRay some weeks ago with a friend of mine. He's younger than me, and had only seen the first one, which he loved. Aliens, although he enjoyed it, he pointed out how typically 80s it is, and I tend to agree with him. It's filled with a lot of silly one liners and just has that particular tone a lot of action movies from that period had.

I'd argue both Alien and Alien 3 (the extended assembly cut is a flawed masterpiece) holds up way better, and are both pretty much timeless. They both have a very distinctive visual style, and I love how dark the tone of the third one is. Understandbly some people got upset by it, as they expected another gung-ho-happy aliens vs marines movie, plus they killed off Hicks and Newt. However, I think this was a wise decision as it played well with the rest of the story and heavy themes of spirituality and religion. The ending with Ripley throwing herself off the lift was beautifully shot, and the only natural end to the franchise. I mean no offense here, but I also don't think it was a coincidence that Alien 3 was generally much better received critically and by audiences in Europe than in the US.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
So...
The idea is take the iconic xenomorph species.
Remove all mystique regarding their origin and replace it with convoluted human-centric trite, because god forbid we entertain the idea that the universe might be cold and uncaring and produce beings that have no way to fear or envy or teach us and whose very existence does not revolve around us and our destiny.
Drop the concept once successfully retconned and ruined.

Just so I get it straight, the xenomorprh's aren't an independent race with their own evolutionary history, habitat, home planet etc.
They are the result of protohuman's seeding basic single celled life, waiting till that life evolves to form humans, later visiting the human's they made to leave co-ordinates to the death base from which they plan to destroy all human's with the goo they used to make human's. They then wait even longer until human's develop space flight and come to visit the death base but the goo has gotten out and killed all the protohuman's manning the base and no new one's have arrived to investigate why the supposed threat of humanity has gone un-murdered and none of them have mutated/evolved/dissolved as goo is want to make them do. Long story short a human ends up swallowing some murder goo and he ejaculates into a barren woman and his semen carries goo which makes her fertile and impregnates her with a brand new species called a 'trilobite'. The trilobite gestates within hours without her eating, is born, grows massive within hours without food attacks a protohuman and fertilizes it with an even brand newer alien, called a 'deacon'? A word defined as a member of a clerical order next below a priest. Cause attaching biblical terms to scifi isn't hack. Because this creature is a step below something else? Something iconic and influential? like this movie is to Alien?
Whoah. Mind blown Lindelov. Mind blown.

Ask me if they wanted to make the aliens universe feel a thousand times smaller and million times more contrived, which clearly was the goal in trying to tie everything to humans and earth, why not just have Weyland Yutani have biologically engineered the xenomorphs?