Noir Games?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Suggest to me a game based in film noir.

I recently saw Sin City again, and now I'm on a bit of a noir kick. Then I started thinking: there really aren't that many film noir mystery games. Or at least none that I can think of. The best I could come up with that that fits the bill of a noir mystery (well, besides the painfully obvious) were games like the SNES Shadowrun and Grim Fandango. Two grand entries in the noir genre to be sure, but still, I've played both enough to know them backward and forward.

I'm looking for something fresh for myself while I'm still on my noir kick, and it doesn't matter what generation of gaming it comes from. Like I said, I played the hell out of the SNES Shadowrun trying to solve what happened to the baddest of asses that is Jake Armitage. There are hundreds of thousands of games that have been made over the years, there has to be something in the noir genre that's a decent play. Suggestions anyone?

EDIT: Also, don't bring up the Genesis Shadowrun.

Just... don't.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention the Deus Ex series. Already played them as well, though I found less mystery and more global conspiracy with the plots. Still, worthy titles with great noir-style atmospheres. :D

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The painfully obvious: L.A. Noire.

That's the only contribution I could make to this thread, since I don't dig through obscure indie titles or older games most of the time.

Shadowrun Returns is looking like it's shaping up to be pretty nice, but I don't know how much 'noir' would factor into it...

Yeah, I had the same kind of kick a month or two back. It's a criminally underused genre inside of gaming.

EDIT: You could give these [http://www.dorkly.com/article/16561/the-dorklyst-10-of-the-greatest-noir-games-in-videogame-history] two [http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/top5noirevideogames.html#.UXiqjcpONfs] lists a quick glance-over. They include the three already mentioned, but also bring up a few other adventure games and everyone's favorite Max Payne.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
what about the fantasmagoria serie ? they are available on gog. sure it's more a point and click adventure game, but it's a bit noir, and a bit horror...

Corinthian

Apr 7, 2013
Anxious to see what suggestions pop up. I'm a big noir fan but haven't seen many examples in gaming. Aside from the obvious, at least.

Guess I'll just have to keep reading Raymond Chandler and James Ellroy in the meantime.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Max Payne. MAX FUCKIN' PAYNE.

Seriously, that guy is ripped straight out of the classic Nior genre, and the gameplay is still pretty slick(I played the first one recently and it feels only slightly less refined than Max Payne 3, which came out last year). If you like a decent noir story, good music, fun shooting mechanics, graphic novel-style cutscenes, or all of the above, give it a shot.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
The painfully obvious: L.A. Noire.

That's the only contribution I could make to this thread, since I don't dig through obscure indie titles or older games most of the time.

Shadowrun Returns is looking like it's shaping up to be pretty nice, but I don't know how much 'noir' would factor into it...

Yeah, I had the same kind of kick a month or two back. It's a criminally underused genre inside of gaming.

EDIT: You could give these [http://www.dorkly.com/article/16561/the-dorklyst-10-of-the-greatest-noir-games-in-videogame-history] two [http://www.cheatcc.com/extra/top5noirevideogames.html#.UXiqjcpONfs] lists a quick glance-over. They include the three already mentioned, but also bring up a few other adventure games and everyone's favorite Max Payne.
Yes, I'm quite excited for Shadowrun Returns since it reminds me so much of the original SNES title, and the developers seem to have a great respect for it.

I was under the impression that much of Max Payne's storyline mystery was a basic linear progression with no input from the player. That's not really what I'm looking for to be honest.

However, you have given me something interesting to look at with the lists. I wasn't even aware there was a Bladerunner game... I am intrigued now...

cathou said:
what about the fantasmagoria serie ? they are available on gog. sure it's more a point and click adventure game, but it's a bit noir, and a bit horror...
I know of Phantasmagoria. I recall Noah Antwiler's playthrough of the second game of the series. If the first game isn't as laughably awful as the second one, then that might be an option.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Discworld Noir. You get funny and noir at the same time, what more can you want?

I found LA Noire pretty boring but if you just want the same feel as Sin City and aren't too fussed about the game then it's not a bad choice. And I know plenty of people loved it.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
an annoyed writer said:
Max Payne. MAX FUCKIN' PAYNE.

Seriously, that guy is ripped straight out of the classic Nior genre, and the gameplay is still pretty slick(I played the first one recently and it feels only slightly less refined than Max Payne 3, which came out last year). If you like a decent noir story, good music, fun shooting mechanics, graphic novel-style cutscenes, or all of the above, give it a shot.
Ah, I've been meaning to play Max Payne at some point, but like I said, I was hoping for something with a little more input from the player in terms of a mystery storyline. Unless I'm mistaken in thinking that Max Payne is more about gunplay.

Blood Brain Barrier said:
Discworld Noir. You get funny and noir at the same time, what more can you want?

I found LA Noire pretty boring but if you just want the same feel as Sin City and aren't too fussed about the game then it's not a bad choice. And I know plenty of people loved it.
I just looked it up. From the gameplay video I just saw, this just might be the ticket. I don't mind too over-stylization or parody in a noir game (Grim Fandango). To be honest, I've never gotten into the Discworld series, though I've heard good things about it. I'll check to see if it's on Steam or something. Thanks for the input.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Richard Jarke said:
Full throttle had it's moments.
Heh, Full Throttle was good fun, but it's very clearly in that sort of classic hardcore biker genre. I love all adventure games, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks anyway.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
TheDrunkNinja said:
cathou said:
I know of Phantasmagoria. I recall Noah Antwiler's playthrough of the second game of the series. If the first game isn't as laughably awful as the second one, then that might be an option.
It is not! It is a nice story but the graphics is a bit dated ... still one of my favorites. It gave me alot of nightmares when I was a child...
Don't know how the second game became so bad...

OT: Well La Noire, Max Payne and .. I thought i had one more ....

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Definitely Max Payne.

Also, I guess Heavy Rain would probably qualify as Noir, though it's not a very good game. Some people like it, many people (myself included) think that the story is laughably stupid.