Nolan Casting Another Inception Star in Dark Knight Rises

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Reading this reminds me how good he was in 'Brick' (Johnson 2006). Hmmm think I will go and watch it now.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Fuck. Yes. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the goddamn bomb. I was hoping it was him as soon as I read the title. He is quite possibly the most talented up and coming star to ever grace the screen of forever-ness. He is awesome. I love him. I want to be him.

[sup]I've seen 500 Days of Summer about... gee, 8 times?[/sup]

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
GiantRaven said:
It saddens me that JGL would probably make a great Dick Grayson but won't get the chance in this film at all.

I'll still be holding out hope though...
i'm actually more hoping that if they throw Robin into the mix, they completely bypass Dick and go with Tim Drake (a.k.a. Best Robin Ever). and JGL looks a TON like Tim Drake.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Jamboxdotcom said:
i'm actually more hoping that if they throw Robin into the mix, they completely bypass Dick and go with Tim Drake (a.k.a. Best Robin Ever). and JGL looks a TON like Tim Drake.
Personally, I'd skip the whole 'Robin' character and go straight to Nightwing as a Batman-inspired vigilante. I'm a huge fanboy though, so anything I come up with probably wouldn't work in a film. =P

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
...I can't say that I support this. Two villains are already enough, but three is really pushing it.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
GrammarLad said:
TERRY MCGINNIS. DO IT.
Quite possibly the most awesome idea for a Batman movie ever

After this, someone really needs to make a Batman Beyond Begins movie, or something like it.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Jamboxdotcom said:
Personally, I'd skip the whole 'Robin' character and go straight to Nightwing as a Batman-inspired vigilante. I'm a huge fanboy though, so anything I come up with probably wouldn't work in a film. =P
i guess the problem for me is that i've never really cared for Dick Grayson in any form (though surprisingly i actually like/d him as Batman recently). i've never disliked Dick Grayson, but i've never really liked him, either. maybe i just always related more to Tim Drake because he's more cerebral, whereas Dick is basically a "dumb jock" (not to say he's a jerk or anything, or that i have a problem with jocks, i've just never been one).

but, by the same token as what you suggested, i suppose they could go straight to Red Robin. errr... nevermind. the "Robin" in his name would confuse non-geek moviegoers.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Yeah, I'm thinking either Hugo Strange or Nightwing. Both seem like a good fit for the Nolanverse.
I can see that. Nightwing especially, given that at this point in the Nolanverse batman seems to have been around for a couple years, which is enough time for some other citizen of Gotham to be inspired to start fighting crime. Heck, we saw a bunch of inspired wannabe-Batmen in the beginning of The Dark Knight, so this isn't too far of a stretch. nightwing would be just like those guys, but with actual competance.

Of course, wouldn't it be awesome if it was The Question? I know he's not strictly speaking a Batman character (he's still in DC, though), but it could fit.

jkarkov

Mar 12, 2010
I'm still going with my old bet (and hope) that this means a Nolanization of Black Mask. He would fit perfectly in Nolan's version of Batman, and the fact that the mob is sort of a focal point of Nolan's Batman makes him more and more plausible.

By the way they never said Catwoman would be in the movie, Nolan specifically said Selina Kyle which I think is important to note. She might not even be a villain, just a possible love interest perhaps? I know that Selina Kyle is Catwoman, but this could be pre-catwoman or just a non Catwoman Selina Kyle?

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
That Guy Who Phails said:
CkretAznMan said:
...I can't say that I support this. Two villains are already enough, but three is really pushing it.
Uhhh...who says he's playing a villain?

Yeah, sorry, I must have missed the report that it was confirmed he's playing a bad guy..
It was just insinuated in the latter half of the article. So I guess I jumped the gun there. Apologies.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Captain Pirate said:
Johnnyallstar said:
As good as the Dark Knight was, I'm afraid that this series might be copying Spider-Man and having super-villain overload.

Movies like The Dark Knight, and Iron Man 1 are so good because the script revolves around one, or two villains. Spider-Man 3 and some of the earlier Batman movies were less than fantastic because of too many villains and not enough story to support them.
Whoever said that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would be a villain? Or that Catwoman would be a villain?
So far, DKR has only one confirmed villain, Bane.
Hell, I doubt there'll be more than two.
And, knowing Christopher Nolan's past three films, this isn't going to be a screw-up.
I never said he would be a villain but who would he be if Robin has been said a no no? Maybe just an assumption on my part.

Catwoman is going to have to at least start out as some kind of villain. I mean, she is a cat burglar. She may not be a significant, life threatening villain, but catwoman at best was walking the hero/villain fence. And jkarkov did point out that Catwoman might not be in it, but only Selina was verified. They could do a lot with just the character and have the burglar aspect scarcely hinted upon.

And Nolan has done a good job, but that doesn't mean I can't worry about the future. Shayalaman made a few really good movies, then tanked. Anybody can screw up. I think the two villain setup has worked well so far, mostly because the writing has been good enough to support it. It's when you start getting too many villains to tie in that you get too convoluted to maintain the story. I'm allowed to worry, though, aren't I?

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Oh man, don't say that... if Nolan pulls a Shayalaman(sp?)

The panic...
The chaos...

Well okay it probably wouldn't be the end of the world... but damn man... that'd be two of the greatest flame-outs -ever- I don't think my psyche could handle it.

Sach

Nov 22, 2009
Hearing this news makes me hope Nolan pulls a "Just kidding!" and DOES put the Riddler in there... He's always been my favorite Batman villain and JGL would be perfect for the role...

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
olfelix said:
Needless to say JGL has come a long way from Tommy on 3rd Rock.
My first thoughts exactly.

I only hope it works well. From another point of view, this just seems like playing it safe and not taking any risks, which is basically Hollywood's other name.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The Critic said:
snippage
Of course, wouldn't it be awesome if it was The Question? I know he's not strictly speaking a Batman character (he's still in DC, though), but it could fit.
Well that is what I was thinking, Renee Montoya as The Question is a Gotham Police Detective, so that makes him/her a possibility. I'm thinking Hitman would be cool, just strip the character of X-ray vision and telepathy and he could be a perfect fit.

Well that or Dogwelder.