Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

The third movie in the modern Christopher Nolan Batman franchise has been titled, and a prominent villain ruled out of it.

Since Christopher Nolan has been at the helm of the Batman movies, his Batman has already begun and successfully returned as a dark knight. In the upcoming third Nolan Batman film, the dark knight is going to rise.

Nolan revealed to the LA Times that his next movie will be called The Dark Knight Rises. He and his brother Jonah have written a script which is based on a story conceptualized by Nolan and David Goyer.

The Riddler has been thrown around as the logical next choice for a villain after the Joker, who definitely won't be back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101135-Joker-Wont-Return-in-Nolans-Batman-Films], but Nolan also shot down the hopes of green, question-mark adorned clothing fans. He confirmed that the Riddler won't be in The Dark Knight Rises, but gave absolutely no hint about any deviants that would.

It's rumored that Catwoman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104753-Rumor-Dark-Knight-Director-Looking-for-a-Catwoman] will make an appearance, but this is unconfirmed. The Joker was what made The Dark Knight stand head and shoulders above Batman Begins for me, so I'm wondering what kind of antagonist can reach the same level, or even close to it, in Rises.

Nolan did say: "We'll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we'll be introducing some new ones." Really, if it's not going to be the Riddler, it has to be the Penguin. He might have a cute name, but Nolan could easily take the character to a dark place as Tim Burton did in Batman Returns. Edit: I've been reminded that the Penguin has already been ruled out. Woe is me.

Thanks for the tip Frank_Sinatra_ [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Frank_Sinatra_]!

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/27/christopher-nolan-reveals-title-of-third-batman-film-and-that-it-wont-be-the-riddler/]

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
Surely it must be the Penguin. Yes! :D

I wonder if I will prefer Nolan's Penguin or Burgess Meredith's.
Tough choice...

OriginalityImpaired

Oct 19, 2010
Note how this thread says "it has to be the Penguin" yet the "won't be back" link has Nolan expressly stating the Penguin will NOT be the villian

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
The title sounds about right.

And the penguin could certainly be.. interesting. I really don't want another Catwoman for this one, she just really isn't all that interesting storywise save her looks.

Iglock

Mar 23, 2009
OriginalityImpaired said:
Note how this thread says "it has to be the Penguin" yet the "won't be back" link has Nolan expressly stating the Penguin will NOT be the villian
Wait- what!?

*checks*

Oh noes! :O

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The Dark Knight Rises?

Not bad, but not great, either. I would love to see The Penguin, The Riddler, Bane, Mr. Freeze or Clock King.

Now, I should probably clarify what I mean by "I'd love to see Clock King." I'm talking about the Clock King that knows that he'll have beaten you unconscious two seconds after you finish reading this sentence. The Clock King who knows that the burglar alarm will go off four seconds after he enters the vault at 3:28 PM, that it will take nine minutes for the police to arrive on the scene, the train's doors will open at 3:37, boarding will begin at 3:40, and has the route planned out so that he's on the train at exactly 3:43:25 PM and comfortably sipping tea when the train leaves the station at 3:45. THAT is what I consider the incarnation of the Clock King; a master strategist who can formulate where to be and what he should be doing at a given time down to the millisecond, the genius who knows that you had dinner at 6:44 PM last Tuesday, that you took a 12-minute thirty-nine-second shower and went to bed at 9:17:22 and that exactly 24 minutes after you go to bed the cyanide pill that he slipped into the steak your wife bought and you ate for dinner will take effect. Now doesn't that sound like an intellect to stack up against Batman?

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Good, I couldn't really see the Penguin working, anyway, to be honest. I dunno who else Nolan could use now he's ruled out the Riddler, though.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
the dark knight rises...

batman begins 2?

can't complain, I'll be camping the cinema more than a 12 yrs old in MW2

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
What a terrible goddamn title choice. I guess that, with the allure of another billion-dollar box office take, they just had to make sure that the brand connection between this and the Dark Knight punched you in the dick.

Can't say I blame them, but it's a terrible goddamn title.

-m

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
So Batman falls? And rises? Black Mask would be cool as a villain.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I was hoping for Caped Crusader. Just keep going on down all the names of Batman until things get inevitably silly again and then they can use all the names Joker and Penguin have come up with.
Well with Chris Nolan still on board for this I has my hopes still.
FargoDog said:
So does this mean no Leonardo DiCaprio? Because I want mah Leonardo DiCaprio!
Leo can pull off a lot of different Batman villains. Mad Hatter, Penguin, Riddler, the list goes on. So don't lose hope that he won't be in this next.
As for Catwoman it would be cool if we were to get introduced to Selina Kyle as a love interest, and at the end find out she has been running a double life to bring up in the next movie.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Twoface, clearly. The setup for his appearance was so blatantly obvious in Dark Knight, that i'm surprised there is such speculation at all. It also fits with the claim, that some characters will return.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
aww, shame can't be Riddler, loved it when Jim Carrey was the riddler he was awesome.

Hmm, I'll be totally honest, I don't know many Batman villains, but Killer Croc would be a interesting choice.

Maybe show some of his childhood and how it started, I read his Bio in Arkham Asylum, but would be awesome on film.