Nolan to reboot Superman?

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/106/1067850p1.html

If you want more detail follow the link above. But if you're lazy here is a brief summary.

Christopher Nolan (of Batman fame) has apparently been asked to oversee the next Superman film, this does not mean he is directing.

I think this good news for the Superman franchise, it could mean a breath of fresh air.

What do you lot think about this?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Well the two batman films were pretty good, so it's certainly not a bad thing. Not sure how dark and gloomy would suit superman though...

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I've never liked Superman, but Nolan is one of my favorite directors, so it might be good.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
Well, this could mean anything. Steven Spielberg has executive producer credit on both of the Transformers movies, and it certainly didn't help them at all.

HotPocket

Jan 5, 2010
That said:
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/106/1067850p1.html

If you want more detail follow the link above. But if you're lazy here is a brief summary.

Christopher Nolan (of Batman fame) has apparently been asked to oversee the next Superman film, this does not mean he is directing.

I think this good news for the Superman franchise, it could mean a breath of fresh air.

What do you lot think about this?
Not hard to top the last Superman movie.

Aug 25, 2009
I don't think Superman is appropriate for the same sort of Batman reboot. Superman is a very different character (duh) and would need a highly different treatment.

If Nolan is being chosen because they think he can reboot the Superman mythos well, staying true to the character, go for it. If he's being chosen to do a 'gritty' reboot then God no. The last characters who needs a gritty reboot are Superman and Spiderman.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Good morning blues said:
Well, this could mean anything. Steven Spielberg has executive producer credit on both of the Transformers movies, and it certainly didn't help them at all.
Executive producer usually just means "I'm getting paid for doing nothing" or "I'm funding this!". The exec. Producer job has nothing do with the content of movie itself.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
Well DC's only money maker is Batman so they're trying to get the same sucess with Superman or else Disney could buy them and then we'll see Batman singing and all that

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Is it wrong that "Nolan North will be playing Superman in the next movie?!" was the first thing that popped into my head?

At any rate, Nolan did an amazing job on the Batman movies so I'm looking forward to what he can do with Superman.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, I would appreciate it if Brandon Routh played Superman again. The last film may have been pretty boring, but he was quite good.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
It could potentially be good, it all depends on how good it is. Wait, What?

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
I don't think Superman is appropriate for the same sort of Batman reboot. Superman is a very different character (duh) and would need a highly different treatment.

If Nolan is being chosen because they think he can reboot the Superman mythos well, staying true to the character, go for it. If he's being chosen to do a 'gritty' reboot then God no. The last characters who needs a gritty reboot are Superman and Spiderman.
This, so much. Superman is so powerful that he can just rise above any angst thrown at him, and Spider-man just jokes and laughs his way through it. Taking what they did with Batman and doing it with Superman just won't work.

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
I'm glad Nolan is finally getting the recognition he deserves, but i want to see more of the kind of movies he directed pre-Batman. The Following, Memento. Although i do have high hopes for Inception.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Batman as a character fits a modern reboot. Look at some of the villains (the Joker, Scarecrow, Two Face) and they are dark characters that can be given (somewhat) credible backstories. I think that's why the Nolan reboots of Batman worked so well.
Superman, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Even his origins distance the character from a more realistic approach. I can't see how Nolan could do the same for Superman whilst remaining faithful to the character, even if he's just the executive producer or whatever...

RussetRanger

Jan 31, 2010
Superman should not be made dark. He is a symbolic beacon of hope for humanity and optimism. However, Nolan could make it like that - not every director stays in their distinct style.

I will not make judgement yet.