Non-American gamers

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
It's no secret that, outside of Nintendo (and a couple of mildly successful developers in the UK and elsewhere) most video games are made by American companies, with --primarily-- American gamers in mind. Many of them feature American settings and/or themes.

Now, this doesn't bother me, nor do I necessarily wish it were different. But it makes me wonder if I'm missing out on certain types of reactions/emotional attachments in somegames. I love Fallout 3, and I intellectually appreciate what a destroyed Washington, D.C. symbolizes, but I don't have a visceral response to it. I love World in Conflict, but I don't feel any sort of patriotic wish to beat back "the commies" when they invade Seattle. So, in a way, I feel like I'm not fully "enjoying" those aspects of it.

So, I'm wondering how other "international" gamers feel about this. And, to the American ones, if I'm overestimating the effects I describe above. And, to both, would you rather have a game be set in a real country even if it's not your own, or one set it an imaginary country created for the purposes of the game?

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
there are more Japanese and asian game companies than nintendo you know.
Also i dont think i would like a game set in New Zealand, our patriotism really consists of "Fuck you, ye cheetin Aussies!" Yeah its not really game material

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Also i dont think i would like a game set in New Zealand, our patriotism really consists of "Fuck you, ye cheetin Aussies!" Yeah its not really game material
I just mention Nintendo because it's the behemoth of the bunch; I know there are successful game companies everywhere.

And while New Zealand might not make the best setting for a war RTS, I could think of a ton of other fun games that could use it as a setting. Really, I'd love to see games from and about anywhere and everywhere.

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
I'm Canadian, and I don't think my not being American matters much when I play games. Most of them aren't even set in the real world anyway, and the ones that are aren't in the USA.

Daniel_Rosamilia

Jan 17, 2008
The_Blue_Rider said:
Actually, that gives me an idea.
The Kiwis invade Australia!
Although apparently, you don't have much of an Army so I;m not sure exactly how that would go... No offense to you guys

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Russia is seeing the beginnings of a developer boom at the moment. I read an article on all these small dev teams over there coming up with original and creative games that could rival the big corporate publishers in the US and Japan, which might give all gamers something fresh soon.

...however the article also mentioned that EA is "keeping an eye" on promising developers and considering large offices being build for the future, so orginality and creativity my get squashed before the Russians really establish themselves if they allow themselves to be purchased.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
You assuming all non-US gamers play on just consoles? Seriously though, most worldwide games aren't based in this world at all. To that last question in your post: Definitely a new world. The point of games is an escape from this version of reality.

Oh, and one other thing: Unlike in the US, most international games have virtually zero censorship. (Australia excluded.) So we do have a different perspective/attachment/gameplay experience.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
The only thing that bothers me is when game developers refuse to release games outside their home country.

Especially japan :mad:

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I know that. All those plots to defend the american soil is actually getting kind of annoying. The game itself is still fun, but you're right when you say we're missing out on certain things.

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
Earthmonger said:
You assuming all non-US gamers play on just consoles? Seriously though, most worldwide games aren't based in this world at all. To that last question in your post: Definitely a new world. The point of games is an escape from this version of reality.

Oh, and one other thing: Unlike in the US, most international games have virtually zero censorship. (Australia excluded.) So we do have a different perspective/attachment/gameplay experience.
I'm actually primarily a PC gamer myself, so it's those games (like the ones I mention in my post) that made me think of this.

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
I am not sure about it, but didyou hear of DRAKENSANG? Basicly it's a German D&D-type brand (The Black Eye) put into a videogame and a very nice one to that, really featuring a pretty classicly medival European style of the game world. I haven't played it myself and dunno if it's been exported anywhere, but if it is, apologies.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Master_Spartan117666 said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
Actually, that gives me an idea.
The Kiwis invade Australia!
Although apparently, you don't have much of an Army so I;m not sure exactly how that would go... No offense to you guys
Well we have , uhh, Polynesians? And, uhh, some beautiful scenery, and David Tua?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
America's the only country in the world remember? The rest of us don't matter.

Optimus Hagrid

Feb 14, 2009
Dark knifer said:
The only thing that bothers me is when game developers refuse to release games outside their home country.

Especially japan :mad:
Agreed. Reminds me of the PAL SNES era, in which we were denied loads of great RPGs, which was a massive shame.

iPatrick

Jan 12, 2010
I am sick of seeing American settings in games, but it's the price you've got to pay if you want the games, I guess.

phar

Jan 29, 2009
Yeah well we pay more for games and we get the worst service, XBL or PSN for example or any matchmaking. Plus developers treating say PC and PS3 audiences like rubbish because xbawx is popular in the US.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
phar said:
Yeah well we pay more for games and we get the worst service, XBL or PSN for example or any matchmaking. Plus developers treating say PC and PS3 audiences like rubbish because xbawx is popular in the US.
Yeah that whole 1 USD = 1 Euro thing bugs me sometimes, but then there's good old Steam to help a european out :)

For example I pay 87.1054 USD (or 59.99 ?) for my yearly XBL Gold membership. I don't complain, but I would also like Americans to STFU about their high prices.