Non-canon stuff you liked more than canon?

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Runescape: the entirety of Dwarven civilization and genetics.

Originally Dwarves as we knew was unable to cast magic, besides super-heating ores this would've been justified due to migrating underground to avoid the devastation of the God Wars. eventually the ability to cast magic was entirely lost. skip to near the present day and there was a quest series called Rise of the Red Axe, initially it was just an amnesia quest where you find out that the democracy of the Dwarves was at stake from the inside; it was shared among a few trading companies; called The Consortium, which was elected into power by people who was more civilian rather than Royalty. this is ok. the next bit is that the Red Axe (technically evil) has Arprosandrian Gnomes (basically exiles, that's for another story) who steals impoverished Dwarves from the poor side of town in the attempt to drum up a personal army.

The Aprosandrian Gnomes uses machinery to augment existing Dwarves into a berserk, feral state known as Chaos Dwarves and hypnotize them into following Zamorakianism. this fits into the Red Axe wanting to take over the entire ruling class. but then they somehow had a highly intelligent Ogre that they found (retcon: Kidnap) that had (forced) amnesia, he had magical memory-altering/hypnotic abilities, it's also assumed that his essence was used as a base and weaved with Chaos Dwarves to create Chaos Dwogres, presumably to give the Red Axe a highly strong fighting force that could use Magic.

Post Retcon: Dwarves were always able to cast magic, just that a god (who's kind of talked of in-universe) as an analogue of Satan curses the Dwarves thousands of years ago, they ran underground and sealed off their own magic, since their latent magical abilities were what was fuelling the curse that transformed them into Chaos Dwarves, this was eventually forgotten about and which proliferated the need for steam technology in their culture. but this came after a revamped quest that had a Dwarf using magic to move animate essence from rock monsters into regular rocks. apparantly the Aprosandrian Ambassador was also mindwiped by someone. the Ogre was mindwiped and even the head antagonist was mindwiped, however in his case it was due to bloodlust that attacked both Troll and Dwarf during a war several years ago before the quest series, the memories of that was sealed away by the Ogre.

In the actual last fight: said Dwarf, in a fit of an crazed epiphany (and guilt) about his past exploits in the war being uncovered by the player, actually forcibly unseals his magic WITHOUT MACHINERY which warped him into a Chaos Dwarf and your fellow protag into one too, just so you can kill the antagonist (essentially suicide by cop). but your dwarf sidekick could fight off the affliction without any ill effect. this just brings up more questions now. like what was the point of altering existing Dwarves with machinery, was Dragon Battlestaves really some conduit of Magic that fills anything with it, why mindwipe the Arprosandrian Ambassador, were they just covering their tracks whilst they find tune their mutant machines?

* Mindwiped, not in the state of actually having their memories erased. more like altered memories so that bad memories are either forgotten, or maybe spies who found machinery had the entire experience glanced over with the thoughts of Kebabs and Beer to make them look unbelievable. because obviously no one would believe a drunk. (finding out about the machines again must've taken like 2 quests)

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Roboshi said:
This Darth Jar-jar theory just came out of nowhere and while I find it ammusing it just seems like the classic "I hate this character therefore he's a secret villain". Just like how "I live this villain therefore he's a secret hero/anti-hero" happened to Bobba Fett, after all he when from the guy who carted han solo's body around to the last in the line of a noble warrior people.

The ME3 indoctrination theory is also another in a long liek of crap theories, onlythis time it's a retooling of the "it was all a hallucination" theory, and just he final step in the biggest case of fan bitching we have seen in years.
So, is there something non-canon out there that you like better than canon or not?
I'm not sure just HOW non-canon it is. But in Pokemon I've always like the theory that each gym auto-balances to your trainer depending on the number of badges you have. Hence Brock would have a lot more pokemon if you met him later on. Otherwise some poor kid starting in saffron city would be wiped out daily trying to get anywhere.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Kyle Katarn's storyline in Dark Forces/Jedi Knight was better written than the prequels; Kyle himself was such a great and unique character: a pragmatic mercenary who becomes a Jedi, then falls to the Sith, then abandons Force use, then has to take it up again because of a personal quest for vengeance, then becomes a trainer of new Jedi...which sounds stupid in those broad strokes, but it works because Kyle's character is well-written enough that everything he does is believable.

And my own personal fan theory that Soap went into a coma at the end of Modern Warfare 1 making MW2 and MW3 a crazy fever dream is the only way I can avoid completely dismissing the latter two campaigns as utter rubbish.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Does Darth Jar Jar count? It's a fan theory, but it's so good, I wish it was true plus it gives purpose to his idiocy and would have been the most unexpected twist ever. I think a lot of DC's non-canon stories were better than a lot of it's official canon ones. The killing Joke was originally not Canon for instance.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
There are a handful of small Mods for Skyrim that, in various ways, allow you to tell Jensine where to shove her sweetroll when she orders you to kill Paarthurnax. I don't know why Bethesda didn't give us the ability to remind her that we are the Gods-damned Dragonborn and that cool old dragon will continue to live unharmed if we so choose.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Ihateregistering1" post="9.885474.22353097 said:
Fallout: Tactics: /quote]

I like fallout tactics a lot, for those reasons you mentioned and more. I think a lot of the flak it has received was unjustified.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Dr. Crawver said:
Indoctrination theory, and darth jarjar (unless that one turns out to be true. Fingers crossed)
Ditto, most theories are so full of holes that I do not need any familiarity with the property to figure them out but these two are pretty solid, even if they are still somewhat reaching.

Ambient_Malice said:
I prefer Vivendi FEAR timeline to the "canon" Monolith timeline.
It had some damn good atmosphere though the ending of Extraction Point felt strangely like a sequel hook even though I simultaneously get the feeling that was not intended. WHICH IS IT?!

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
Long time comic fan here, mainly the ones everyone is supposed to be ashamed of being unironic fans of nowadays, because "Mainstream"(Marvel & DC). Grew up reading them, so I've read a LOT of non-canon stuff; from Elseworlds to What-Ifs. A lot of them are shit, but at least interesting, and most of the best ones are ruined by half-assed endings. Here's a couple runners ups before I get to the big best:

Batman: Speeding Bullet
Kal-El was discovered by the Waynes and raised as Bruce Wayne, making a world with no Superman while making Batman a much more powerful figure. As often with Elseworlds, the universes are mixed, so Lois Lane has moved to Gotham and helps him find his inner hero, but mostly the story is interesting if a little too short. Cons are: a little too saccharin ending and Luthor/Joker mashup.

Age of Apocalypse
Xavier is killed before him and Magneto have their big falling out, and this changes two things: Magneto holds onto Xavier's dream to honor his friend, and no one forms the X-Men until it's too late. Apocalypse has begun culling human and mutant alike, and has taken over the majority of the Earth. Good re-imagining of iconic characters, and deals with the subject fairly well. Cons: it's technically canon, since everything in Marvel takes place in some universe, and as such they tried to force certain characters importance due to an intent to bring them to the main storyline.

Special Mention: The Teen Titans
The cartoon series (not the current one) and the Marv Wolfman run were both fantastically written with excellent world building and character study.

All of that said, the best non-Canon comic story I've read was:

X:Men Forever by Chris Claremont
The write who created most of the stories you remember about the X-Men from the 70's into the 90's left Marvel shortly after the "X-Men" (no adjective) title's first story that kills Magneto. His plans forward were not to Marvel's liking, so he decided to go and write novels (starting with a trilogy sequel to Willow co-written with George Lucas). X-Men Forever was his chance to come back, over 20 years later, and write the story he had wanted to, without fear of editor mandate.

Wolverine is killed, leading to a mystery looking for the murderer. Sabertooth is revealed to be Logan's father, the original intention of the character (as hinted at in his first attack on the X-Mansion). It's revealed Jean Grey really loves Logan, but married Cyclops because he was the safer choice. The new Sentinel threat hinted at is revealed to be the responsibility of Tony Stark (the only character in the Marvel Universe with the resources and infrastructure to do it). Rogue meets her mother, and discovers she has a brother who's also a mutant (that we've already met).

It ran once a week for a while, giving it a good pace, and letting Claremont tell a fairly contained and constructed story where he closed up plot threads and character insights he'd hinted at in his tenure as head writer. There are some inconsistencies (super-hero comic, after all), but it's a good read and an interesting view into the ideas behind a lot of the most iconic characters in the X-corner of the Marvel Universe, by the guy who created the story for those characters.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Ihateregistering1 said:
Fallout: Tactics:
Another great thing was a new enemy. Fallout 1 had the master and his supermutants. Fallout 2 had the Enclave. Tactics had the threat of the Calculater and an unthinking wave of machines.

Compared to Fallout 3 that just reused the Enclave. I like a new threat to sink my teeth into.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
For Mass Effect 3 - you guessed it - Indoctrination Theory. I stayed away from the hype and didn't have the internet for a bit so I wasn't aware of the furore and theories and when I did get the internet back I just assumed it was hype backlash. After playing the game though I went from "OMG WTF is this!?" to "Ooooh, we've been messed up!" in the space of five minutes. Then I found out the idea was already out there but far worse was that it was non-canon. I just assumed Shepard was indoctrinated due to longer term exposure than most of the other characters and the last part of the game was clearly a rush-job anyway. Actually most of the game felt that way...

I like the idea of Darth Binks. I really like the idea. Even if he's a not a Sith he could always be force sensitive, hence why his hijinks and accidents end up working out. Then again, I'm pretty indifferent towards the character.

In Sailor Moon, I like the idea that the Silver Millenium is not as wonderful as it seems. Not to say that the villains are heroes in disguise or even anti-heroes (Diamond/Demande does kill a helpless child who looks like the crown princess in the manga...) but Neo Queen Serenity seems like a sugary unintentional dictator with brainwashing powers. This interpretation is one of the many reasons I love this franchise.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
that in the fallout universe the war hasnt actually happened yet and what the player characters are actually experiencing is a VR simulation/test run by vault-tec

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Doujin/Hentai comics which have actually an interesting story behind it.
I would LOVE to post some examples, But I can't

However.......please google "MaruMaru Arumajiro"

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
When I finished ME3 I actually thought that the indoctrination ending was correct. I thought with TIM controlling Shepard, Shepard basically destroying everything and everyone then waking up under rubble that that was the only explanation and I was more annoyed that it seemed that the trilogy wasn't finished at 3 and would be getting a 4th to finish the story.

I was rather disappointed that what I had thought had happened turned out to just be a crackpot theory and that the ending was something far worse then just dragging the story out to another installment.

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (Full game removed from canon.)

Hands down one of the best metroidvania games on the GBA. Brilliant amount of attacks and weaponry to use, beautiful music, the Clock Tower is still one of my favorite game backgrounds to this day.

Undertale

(Fan theory) Gaster from Undertale is Papyrus and Sans' father.
(Fan theory) Frisk, like Gaster, doesn't necessarily 'exist' and only continues to persist thanks to DETERMINATION.

Patrick from Spongebob Squarepants is actually a genius, playing with the characters for his own amusement.
Same goes with Blockhead, from the internet series of the same name

Hide either got eaten by Kaneki or Kaneki is keeping him safe (Note, possibly not ALIVE but 'safe') without mentally realizing it. (Tokyo Ghoul)

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
What immediately comes to mind for me is a youtube Warhammer 40k parody series 'If the Emperor had a Text-To-Speech Device'. As the name implies, it's about if the Emperor was capable of speaking again, and primarily his conversations with his caretaker about just how screwed up the Imperium has become (with a lot of it sticking to canon events, such as the World Engine incident and the Tyranic Wars). To paraphrase one comment I read: "If (or more likely when) GW bollocks up the w40k ending I choose to believe this series is what really happened instead"

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
I'll throw another one on the pile and nominate Knights of the Old Republic, specifically EVERYTHING in 2.

For fuck's sake, how the hell did a game where the Force was deconstructed to the goddamn core as well as redefining what a Jedi is in the finale not overthrow the established canon up until that point? I will forever hold it up as the quintessential example where the original creators should have said "Damn, they did a better job than we ever could, they can take it from here."