Non-combat games

Dizzy_Desu

Jan 29, 2011
Extra Credit's episode got me thinking about non-combat games, and after looking through my library, found a few that aren't combat based or combat centric. Several assorted visual novels, point and click Telltale games, indie puzzle based games like The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, and Recettear, which I know has combat elements, but they're entirely optional and the game isn't based around that aspect.

Does anyone else have any other non-combat games or ideas of such?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
There are always sports games. Or crazy stuff like Katamari. But yeah, non-combat games are few and far between.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Flower is the ultimate non-combat game, you play as the wind making flowers bloom.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Don't forget the Ace Attorney games - brilliant storytelling and characterization combined with intriguing puzzle-solving gameplay, in its own way.

If you're looking for more traditional puzzles with similar story and characterization, there's always Professor Layton, too. I prefer Ace Attorney, but they're both really good.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I'm playing the city-building classic Pharaoh and its expansion Cleopatra at the moment, and for the most part, it isn't a combat game at all.

It's also great fun, in a mild and steady relaxing kind of way.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Harvest Moon has no combat, just farming. Also Metropolismania has only building towns and talking to people, though you are working for a person who looks like Hitler.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
There are of course the Sim series and Tycoon. Rollercoaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Transport Tycoon, Simcity, The Sims, etc.

Then there's Theme Park, Theme Hospital, all kinds of games in that genre.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Pararaptor said:
There's really quite a lot.
The Extra Credits bloke doesn't know what he's talking about.
Agreed.

And really, there are a lot. Tycoon games (like Roller Coaster and Zoo), Animal Crossing, The Sims, Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Trace Memory, Professor Layton...it's really just a matter of knowing where to look.

0kami

Jan 30, 2011
The first game that comes to mind and probably my favorite in this category is Portal.

Also, most games in the point and click advanture genre are non-combat games. I just reacently played Machinarium, which is an absolutely beautiful game artistically (and hard as hell without a walkthrough).

Doktor Sleepless

Jan 4, 2011
He didn't say there weren't quite a lot, he said that compared to combat games there's not a lot. One of the things that made Mass Effect for me was the talking. The combat was ok, but if it had just been that it would have been a bit crap. If they used the "persuasion bar" idea in 3, it'd be great.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
You know: Halo, Metroid Prime, Zelda and of course the Star War Games...
On Topic
Harvest Moon is fun, some sports/car games, chess ^^ (or is chess a violent game? I mean you kill your opponents...)

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Pararaptor said:
There's really quite a lot.
The Extra Credits bloke doesn't know what he's talking about.
Dizzy_Desu said:
To be fair, Floyd did exclude Simulacra. He meant games that focus on telling a story, and creating a narrative experience, being Non-combat. So, Prof Layton, and the old Lucasarts games are acceptable, whereas FIFA, and NBA and racing games are not, because in spite of being non-violent, they do not create a narrative.

OT: Portal counts, since yes, there are turrets and you have to kill GladOS, but you don't "fight". You solve puzzles to kill her.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Sports games, Amnesia: Dark Descent, and tons of indie games that I've played that I'm too lazy to list.