Non Coventional Holiday Movies

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
So with the holidays coming up really soon everyone is taking out their old favorite holiday movies and watching them. The old favorites always get shown, Miracle of 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, etc. But do you have a movie that you break out around Christmas(or other December holidays) that others might not consider . . . Christmas-ish? Mine would probably be Cool Runnings. But that movie is good for any time of the year. Also I was thinking about Die Hard since that's sort of Christmassy right? I mean they're all at a holiday party before the poop hits the fan.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Joyeux Noël is a really, really good one. Highly recommended. It's about the 1914 Christmas ceasefires.

I mention it because lots of people think of it more as a war movie and don't classify it as a "Christmas movie." This is despite it taking place around Christmastime.

And, yes, Die Hard is another one that's not conventionally a "Christmas movie." I still consider it one. It takes place on Christmas, after all.

Serendipity, if I'm remembering correctly, also takes place around the holidays. I remember it being okay.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
The Holiday and Love Actually are some of my favorite holiday movies. Although neither of them are really ABOUT christmas, they just both take place during the holiday season. I love me my romantic comedies.

Home Alone is another good one, it can be watched at any time during the year really.

Also The Family Stone! Ahh there are so many great ones. I know what I am doing after christmas.

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
The Holiday and Love Actually are some of my favorite holiday movies. Although neither of them are really ABOUT christmas, they just both take place during the holiday season. I love me my romantic comedies.

Home Alone is another good one, it can be watched at any time during the year really.

Also The Family Stone! Ahh there are so many great ones. I know what I am doing after christmas.
Ah yes, how could I forget Home Alone!
If I recall the Family Stone was brutal. I spent most of my time cringing over the uncomfortable situations. Yikes

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I'm glad that Die Hard has already been mentioned a bunch of times. Best Christmas movie ever :D

Also Die Hard 2 isn't bad either.

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
My christmas eve tradition is pub with the homies then Die Hard when I get home.
Best christmas film ever

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
We watch Love Actually and the Home Alone movies every Christmas, although I prefer a more traditional Christmas movie; nothing beats the Polar Express. Nothing says traditional Christmas like a big stonking locomotive.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
YCRanger said:
Also I was thinking about Die Hard since that's sort of Christmassy right? I mean they're all at a holiday party before the poop hits the fan.
Lethal Weapon!
It's a christmas movie, pretty much the whole plot takes place on christmas eve...

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
anthony87 said:
Die Hard.

It's just not Christmas without Die Hard.
"Now I have a machinegun! Ho-Ho-Ho!"

Yeah, the only festive movie I've watched so far has been Die Hard...I'm not exactly the festive type. In the words of Grumpy Cat: "Dashing through the..No."

M K Ultra

Nov 27, 2012
vun said:
Nothing says traditional Christmas like a big stonking locomotive.
That sounds incredibly pervy.

Also MST3K episode 321 Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
Brazil, the terry Gilliam movie, the Christmas theme is through out the film and it is just a great film

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
My family and I almost always at least watch Home Alone around the Christmas time every year now, Love Actually as well usually. There are some others really... but I can't remember them at the moment.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Bad Santa - can't believe no one mentioned that yet.One of the best non-conventional christmas movies around
Die Hard 1&2
Gremlins

There's a ton of B-movie horror films that take place on or around christmas.Here's a list if anyone's interested.Can't vouch for the quality as I've only seen some of them

http://www.imdb.com/list/ooW_lCUs4zQ/

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Around this time of year, I usually watch Tokyo Godfathers and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Both are anime films that are somewhat Christmas-related.