Non-Player Counselor: Duke Nukem Has Mommy Issues

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Firefilm said:
Brilliant! Maybe Barney can come with him and speak on his behalf?
Should be the G-Man who comes in to speak for him. You could play off the whole 'puppet/master' dynamic between the two. Fuck knows one could write an entire dissertation on the Freudian implications of their 'relationship'.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Have to agree with a lot of other posters that it's a rough start. Notably in the animation department.

That said, I see a lot of potential here, and I did genuinely laugh at a few points.

Kudos, gents. Keep at it.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Firefilm said:
Should be the G-Man who comes in to speak for him. You could play off the whole 'puppet/master' dynamic between the two. Fuck knows one could write an entire dissertation on the Freudian implications of their 'relationship'.

Have to agree with a lot of other posters that it's a rough start. Notably in the animation department.

That said, I see a lot of potential here, and I did genuinely laugh at a few points.

I mean the lack of movement is both a style chosen and a result of time limitation. We don't have the capacity to do a weekly show with mouth movement, but what if the heads moved? Would that work better?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Firefilm said:
I mean the lack of movement is birth a style chosen and a result of time limitation. We don't have the capacity to do a weekly show with mouth movement, but what if the heads moved? Would that work better?
Oh, no, don't misunderstand my criticism. I absolutely understand and appreciate the limitations you have to work within. That you'll be able to churn out an episode each week is impressive. And, I'm comfortable with a lack of mouth movement. I was actually referring to the occasional disparity between some of the frames. For example, some frames would show Duke with a lit cigar in his mouth, but the next pose would have it unlit. It was somewhat jarring.

And really, what ever issues I or others might have seen in your pilot, those issues are nothing that can't be fixed with a little time and your team 'getting into the groove' of your new format.

As I'd said, I see a lot of potential here. I'll certainly be back next week. ;)

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Shows promise. Certainly better than Game Dogs...

Like others have said, the Kratos/Candy Crush thing at the beginning was more flat than funny.

I'll give it a chance and tune in for another one.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
Pretty funny. I would recommend making the voices differentiate better, since the therapist sounded too much like Duke after that "Mom" scene.

I request Otacon from Metal Gear Solid.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
circularlogic88 said:
Shows promise. Certainly better than Game Dogs...

Like others have said, the Kratos/Candy Crush thing at the beginning was more flat than funny.

I'll give it a chance and tune in for another one.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope next week's episode rewards you for your loyalty

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Firefilm said:
TitanAura said:
Alright, rough start. I guess the previews already showed me everything I needed to know about the art looking like baby's first Flash cartoon but I won't rag on it any more than that. It will progress over time.

The writing however, was also a little shaky. That introduction with Kratos was horrifyingly unfunny and I feel like you made a huge mistake by including it as that kind of introduction gives a terrible first impression. The therapy session itself actually had a few chuckle worthy exchanges (minus the cutaways). I see potential in the future but tripping out of the gate is never a good sign. I'll keep watching to see how this series progresses as I've been watching your guys' stuff since the very first No Right Answer. Hoping to see how you improve as time goes on.
Ironically it's not even done in Flash. We do appreciate the feedback though, and your willingness to stick with us. We've got some really great "Sessions" on the horizon.
Well, I'm looking forward to hearing future sessions with Dr. Gold. Please tell me there's one in the future with Bowser and how he's like Dr Doom.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
was thinking of gordon freeman as well. i guess he will mainly reply with his gravity gun and crowbar.

certainly a ruff start and have to agree that it was confusing who was talking. heads moving could work. as long its clear who is talking. change of voice woulndt harm either. will keep watching since it does seem to have potential.

who i would like to see:
max payne.
master chief
liara tsony
kasumi
serious sam
rayne from bloodrayne

thats it for the moment.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Don't shake it baby!

That was awesome.

I thought the format was pretty good, not every animated series has to be created on supercomputer/sweatshops based in Korea.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
This is great stuff. The writing, voice acting, editing, art: I like it all. I even like the rough bits, because it's a pilot and it still made me laugh.

Keep this up, and it may actually fill the void in my heart left by NRA's passing.

Edit: re: The (lack of) animation: I like it. Animation is not necessary when you bring the funny via other avenues. The writing is strong enough to deliver the funny, and while rough around the edges, I imagine the voice acting will only get better. Someone above me aptly compared the "animation" style to Tom Goes To The Mayor (which is hilarious and has an even more limited and absurd art direction), but I'd like to make a comparison closer to home: I hear no-one saying Zero Punctuation would be better with animation.

In other words: don't shake it, baby mama.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Off to a... start. I had higher expectations than were reasonable, as I've come to expect better from this team, but they were always "playing" themselves. That's why my expectations were higher than they should have been. Now that they're trying to be voice actors and not themselves, it's going to take a while to get experienced with it. That was the majority of my criticism over this episode/new series, and right now it's not entirely reasonable criticism. The writing was okay - not great, not terrible, sort of what I expect for a pilot episode, the idea is interesting, the artwork is entirely subjective (I generally don't care about artwork one way or another, though I have made some exceptions), so it was just the voice work that was throwing me off.

I'll give it a good 20 episodes before I actually come to an opinion on the voice acting. That's basically a "full season", so to speak, which is where I'd say a good point would be to make a judgement.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Tono Makt said:
Off to a... start. I had higher expectations than were reasonable, as I've come to expect better from this team, but they were always "playing" themselves. That's why my expectations were higher than they should have been. Now that they're trying to be voice actors and not themselves, it's going to take a while to get experienced with it. That was the majority of my criticism over this episode/new series, and right now it's not entirely reasonable criticism. The writing was okay - not great, not terrible, sort of what I expect for a pilot episode, the idea is interesting, the artwork is entirely subjective (I generally don't care about artwork one way or another, though I have made some exceptions), so it was just the voice work that was throwing me off.

I'll give it a good 20 episodes before I actually come to an opinion on the voice acting. That's basically a "full season", so to speak, which is where I'd say a good point would be to make a judgement.
That's a very reasonable response, thank you. It was easier to goof off as ourselves than it will be to do this every week, but we wanted to try something new. I'm so glad everyone has pretty much universally said they'd stick around due to the potential they see.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Well... it has potential I guess. I'll have to agree with some of the other posters, the art could do with a bit of propping up in places (the scene after the Mum was revealed seemed to have the expressions backwards?) or perhaps by adding more in the way of visual puns? I mean Zero Punctuation is pretty basic but most of those scenes seem to have stuff in them, while for this I was fighting the impression that some frames were being re-used. The Kratos bit was flat as others said but I enjoyed most of the actual session.
Seems to be a bit unfair to criticise you at the moment though seeing as I'm no expert and considering that you seem to have things working a bit better already in the upcoming episodes (based on what you've said in the thread). At it's current state I can't see myself watching more but I have faith you'll pull it off, and at least I have more faith in it than FFN at the moment.
Croft seems like the obvious choice, but I do like the idea mentioned earlier in the thread about maybe a Reboot Support Group?

Dollabillyall

Jul 18, 2012
I'm sorry but I don't really see the humor... The only real joke I could find was the titular mommy issues of Duke Nukem and it was sort of funny but it seemed too little too late. The art style... just feels like a 12 year old kid who made his first flash animation. I don't think I've seen something like this since newgrounds was big... and it might be best if it stayed there.
That said lets see what you have coming for next time... maybe it will pick up steam... I'm rooting for you guys.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
I kind of want to see one of those blank protagonists from Western RPGS come into there with multiple personality disorder.
"It's almost like whenever I look in the mirror I'm a completely different character. There was one time that I walked into somewhere, and I just stole all their liquor, and drank it... And I don't know why though!"

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Firefilm said:
Vigormortis said:
Firefilm said:

I mean the lack of movement is both a style chosen and a result of time limitation. We don't have the capacity to do a weekly show with mouth movement, but what if the heads moved? Would that work better?
Honestly, I would rather wait a month for the show with lip-synching, than watch it every week without it.
Hell, live-action with some basic cosplay would probably be a lot better visually.

I quite enjoyed it just listening to it, though

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
How about the chosen undead from Dark Souls. It's got to be rough living in a game that wants to kill you.

Can you do Nintendo characters? or does Chris' job make that a no-go?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Endocrom said:
How about the chosen undead from Dark Souls. It's got to be rough living in a game that wants to kill you.

Can you do Nintendo characters? or does Chris' job make that a no-go?
We can do anyone. And the dark souls idea sounds great. Probably super emo guy who shops exclusively at Hot Topic

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
This is probably too obscure for an episode, but I would love to see Kain and Raziel taking therapy together. Instead of "couple's therapy" have "Rival's therapy". Sephiroth and Cloud, Liquid and Solid.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
I really like the concept for this as long as the writing continues to be as entertaining as the actual Duke session. Looking forward to see where this goes.