NOOOOO! 40 hours down the drain in mass effect 2 ps3

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
stefman said:
About 100% of the time when Fallout:New vegas came out. They added steamcloud and it reaaaaaaaaally screwed up everything. But that really sucks, maybe just wait for ME3? Guess it's the right time to switch up your specializations.

expwnit

Mar 22, 2010
That really sucks. I lost all of my ME2 saves on the 360 when the HDD died. Unfortunately on console the files are protected so you cannot back them up. Now I don't even want to play the game anymore after three playthroughs that vanished.

By the way, this isn't the first time I've heard this happen. A couple of other people have had the random crashing-and-save-game-destroying bug. I hope it's not happening to a lot of people, anyway.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
stefman said:
holy funking shizz i just was playing mass effect 2 in the overlord mission. up until that point i had done literally everything possible in terms of side quests, dialogue actions, weapon upgrades etc and was almost done the story. then bam game freezes on a loading screen and i reset the system. next thing i know new game is the only option available. maybe i should turn off autosaving or something to prevent this from happening further?? DAMMIT! has this happened to anyone else?
Were you only using Autosave?

I keep three save files that I cycle though, so if I lose one, I'm not out more than a few hours. I save all the time - I just started Mass Effect 2 (for ps3) and I'm still out recruiting my team, but I've already saved 40+ times. I save on the ship, I save on missions, and I always switch slots after every mission.

According to Psycho Mantis back in MGS1, I am a very cautious person.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
I had spent hundereds of hours playing games on my PS3, mostly in Fallout 3. Then my hard drive decided to shoot itself, and it had to be restored. And I lost everything. Trust me, I understand.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
stefman said:
Grey_Focks said:
On my way home from US base in Afghanistan , bringing my 360 with me. Save files for roughly 20 different games on it. Never hooked up to live. It got damaged on the plane ride, hard drive couldn't be removed. Lost everything......made me a very sad panda. Files for everything from oblivion to halo to mass effect.....it was traggic.
i respect you for being in afganistan. the military should pay for someone to replay all the games just the way you did and get all your data back lol
hehe, don't go respecting me so fast, I was only there for a month before a back injury took me out of service. I was actually in Mannheim, Germany for about a year and a half before that, which is where most of those games were played (fun fact! also where I first played Warhammer 40K tabletop game), and the xbox survived the plane ride from there into Afghanistan just fine. Agreed the military should give me money to play games, though.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
stefman said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
this happened to me in oblivion, lost over 100 hours through all my saves corrupting ='(
also while not losing time, earlier today i lost all my items in dragon age awakening thanks to a bug that means you cant get your items back after you lose them in a scirpted event...
that almost happened to me in mothership zeta fallout 3. i walked right past my gear and almost left the ship before i realized o shit there it is lmao. hated that dlc for some reason.
haha, the funny thing was, i thought i had been stupid and just walked past a box with my stuff in it aswell, so i checked the DA wikia, and found out there's a bug where an enemy is supposed to be wearing your stuff, but if the enemy doesnt meet the requirements to wear it, you just dont get it back. :(

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
stefman said:
holy funking shizz i just was playing mass effect 2 in the overlord mission. up until that point i had done literally everything possible in terms of side quests, dialogue actions, weapon upgrades etc and was almost done the story. then bam game freezes on a loading screen and i reset the system. next thing i know new game is the only option available. maybe i should turn off autosaving or something to prevent this from happening further?? DAMMIT! has this happened to anyone else?
Were you only using Autosave?

I keep three save files that I cycle though, so if I lose one, I'm not out more than a few hours. I save all the time - I just started Mass Effect 2 (for ps3) and I'm still out recruiting my team, but I've already saved 40+ times. I save on the ship, I save on missions, and I always switch slots after every mission.

According to Psycho Mantis back in MGS1, I am a very cautious person.
no i had 4 saves but i think on the ps3 harddrive it records them all under one "profile" so to speak and when one piece of data is corrupted it funks the hole file up :(

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
Gahars said:
Ouch, I know your pain.

Same thing has happened to me several times over the years, like in Soul Calibur 3 for the PS2 (3/4's of the characters, most of the campaign, items, collectibles, etc. down the drain).

For ME2 though, that has to suck even more.

You have my sympathies.
the soul calibur 3 thing happened to me too. im pretty sure its whenever you remove the memory card and put it back in at any time, even when the system is off it corrupts the memory. its a big issue and ive seen a few accounts of this problem, me and my buddy included. great game tho.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
Thedayrecker said:
Similar thing happened with Far Cry 2. Accidently saved over my usual slot (nearly done with the game), with a new character I made for kicks. The thing is, I hate Far Cry 2. I just felt I had to beat it, but once I did that, I said screw it, and never picked it up again.

EDIT: And then there was the time where I successfully ambushed Gaul's last family member, in Rome: Total War, with a numerically inferior army.

But with some careful tactics, and superb commanding (if I do say so myself) I managed to defeat the Gauls, destroy their nation, and take the day..... Until a tree decided to fall on a nearby transformer causing a neighborhood blackout...
fuckin trees eh? it was the rival army. they have the ents in servitude.

niege

Aug 16, 2009
stefman said:
rokkolpo said:
Well I lost over 300 hours on Pokemon Blue.

It felt more of a ''GOD I AM FREEEEEEE'' to me.
I HADNT EVEN FINISHED THE GAME!! :'(
It almost happened to me to but i just got sent back 4-5 missions after that i began saving manually and even if the game freezed it was still there and i am sorry for you but the overlord mission isn't that long or hard it is just heart breaking.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Annoyance, but nothing all that bad...

One time in college I lost a 50 page research paper save somehow.. I had to retype it overnight the day before it was due. Nothing beats the grief that shit caused me! haha

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
stefman said:
Levski7 said:
easy for you to lol. you didnt lose 40hours of your life. FFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Can I ask why it took you 40 hours just to get through all that stuff? I realise you were doing side quest but the 360 version doesn't take that long.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
ForensicYOYO said:
stefman said:
Levski7 said:
easy for you to lol. you didnt lose 40hours of your life. FFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Can I ask why it took you 40 hours just to get through all that stuff? I realise you were doing side quest but the 360 version doesn't take that long.
all side quests all loyalty missions too time to search every level thoroughly , planet scanning (oh god the scanning) deaths, and basically not rushing and taking it slow. and dlc. also thanks for asking politely. im used to youtube where every question is either a judgemental one or an attack.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/292/index so yeah apparently many people got their save file corrupted and it happened most of the times in middle of Shadow Broker DLC and for many more game freezes and sounds are out of sync. so yeh....ps3 port is a bloody mess and i'm afraid of playing it coz it will most likely corrupt my save...good job Bioware testers.