Nord Mead and You Died

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
cricket chirps said:
So what you are saying is i should send him a copy of Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, and No More Heroes? Got it :D
I've actually finished Okami twice and SOTC once. While doing older games is certainly fun, the views just aren't the same and this is, after all, my job. Still - OKami would be a very interesting one musically! Maybe on a quiet week :)
This day has consistantly been the best day of me life. Soooooooooo many things went right today, and this is super icing on the cake.

While SOTC is comepletely understandable as far as the possibly low views go, i feel that Okami would do the exact opposite. Every gamer who keeps up with things and would proudly call themselves gamers know what Okami is. As well, people like my girlfriend who are only mild gamers at best down right love Okami.

While im not entirely sure how i would relate the song's feeling to the game's if i were in your shoes-would probably just make it overly happy with slow singing about its beautiful art worthy quality- i am sure it would get a good amount of views.

^_^ One way or another, thanks for even considering an idea of mine.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
cricket chirps said:
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
cricket chirps said:
A song for Shadow of the Colossus would be very very interesting for you to do since most songs you do are of more recent games. Going back to some much older games with critical acclaim would be nice. ^_^

Okami comes to mind as well, an asian themed song would be something i don't think you've done yet.
You know, I really would love to hear his take on either one of those games. And while we're at it, how about doing something offbeat for, say, No More Heroes. Would love that as well.

In the end, it all depends on what Gavin has actually played and what he feels like doing, so let's just wait and see.
So what you are saying is i should send him a copy of Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, and No More Heroes? Got it :D
Yes! Do it! Think of all the sweet, sweet tunes we could have.

Now we just need to get Gav in on this...You get the rope, I'll get the burlap sack.
IT WORKED, didn't even need the rope :p man you got one good burlap sack huh?

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
cricket chirps said:
I've actually finished Okami twice and SOTC once. While doing older games is certainly fun, the views just aren't the same and this is, after all, my job. Still - OKami would be a very interesting one musically! Maybe on a quiet week :)
i don't know a how you would make a song based off okami but if you could i say make it(okami one of my favorite games)
i wounder what genre a song based off of okami would be?

Feb 18, 2009
cricket chirps said:
IT WORKED, didn't even need the rope :p man you got one good burlap sack huh?
Yeah, it's awesome. So soft, even though it looks coarse, and there's lots of elbow space. It also has nice lighting, so I like to my reading in there. Once you get in, you don't want to get out.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Man, that tall sister is nice to be around, but that shorter sister, man is she fun. I really wouldn't mind seeing more of her. A tall somber affair is nice, but you know you'll have fun any time the other is around.
Know among gamers as the "Catherine" syndrome :p

OT: Oh the things people can bring themselves to say. Personally i though "You Died" was a great song, i do think it was a bit short, but that could be just because it was so awesome. I do however see how an abrupt end would be appropriate.

As for Nord Mead i can relate. Scandinavians aren't necessarily shy with their love for drinking either. It's just happy funtime, which i though Nord Mead got around really well!

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I'm very curious here: if someone brings up criticism like, "You mixed jokey and serious, WTF," you just kind of snark at them and seem to ignore it on the grounds that clearly this is okay and they should like it. What if they tried to say something like, "I thought the humor and seriousness clashed, for (reasons here)"? Is it their criticism that gets you, or the fact that they just kind of snap off an unexplained comment that doesn't tell you anything? Sometimes people just won't like a piece of music for whatever reason, but sometimes knowing the reasons (even if you decide the song is fine as is) can help you figure out what your audience finds interesting or unappealing.

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
Gavin said:
The tone was all over the place. First it was jokey and then it was serious. WTF.

So ... humor and serious things must be mutually exclusive? Not in my mind.
Well no, but usually there is some kind of indicator that the tone is about to shift or the serious bits and the humor are more intertwined. I think this criticism is more that the lyrics set the mood for humor and when you then sit through the rest of the song expecting more humor the tone shift feels weird.
Since you will know this on your second listen I guess that makes this song a grower, which is different from your usual style but still sound, I suppose ;)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Aurora Firestorm said:
I'm very curious here: if someone brings up criticism like, "You mixed jokey and serious, WTF," you just kind of snark at them and seem to ignore it on the grounds that clearly this is okay and they should like it. What if they tried to say something like, "I thought the humor and seriousness clashed, for (reasons here)"? Is it their criticism that gets you, or the fact that they just kind of snap off an unexplained comment that doesn't tell you anything? Sometimes people just won't like a piece of music for whatever reason, but sometimes knowing the reasons (even if you decide the song is fine as is) can help you figure out what your audience finds interesting or unappealing.
You answered your own question - I welcome criticism as long as it is concrete, constructive and specific. If you read any of my other Encore articles you'll see I usually pick out good criticisms too and respond to them.

You are however, wrong, in the assumption that I 'ignore it on the grounds that it is okay and they should like it'. If they don't like it they are more than welcome to not like it.
Jang said:
Gavin said:
The tone was all over the place. First it was jokey and then it was serious. WTF.

Well no, but usually there is some kind of indicator that the tone is about to shift or the serious bits and the humor are more intertwined.
Dark Souls gives no indicator that you're about to shift from being trolled by the game into admiring a beautiful vista - I'm simply mirroring that. :)

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Jang said:
Gavin said:

Well no, but usually there is some kind of indicator that the tone is about to shift or the serious bits and the humor are more intertwined.
Dark Souls gives no indicator that you're about to shift from being trolled by the game into admiring a beautiful vista - I'm simply mirroring that. :)
Haven't played the game so you have me there ;)

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Jang said:
Gavin said:

Haven't played the game so you have me there ;)

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
A bit late to the party, but I wanted to let you know tyhat it would be great if you could at some point talk about "Back In Time". It's one of those songs that really grows on you I think, and one of you best.