North Carolina Politician David Waddell Resigns - in Klingon

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
North Carolina Politician David Waddell Resigns - in Klingon

David Waddell recently resigned from his Indian Trail town council seat with a letter written in Klingon.

As memorable as the phasers, transporters, starships and "Khaaaaaaaaan!" in Star Trek were, it can sometimes be easy to forget that the various crews of the Enterprise occasionally also served as diplomats on missions that were a bit less flashy. That in mind, a politician from the town of Indian Trail, North Carolina recently decided to tap into a bit of Star Trek in his own life by submitting a letter of resignation penned in Klingon.

David Waddell, who was departing from the Indian Trail Town Council, apparently wrote the letter as a bit of an inside joke. "Folks don't know what to think of me half the time," he said. "So I might as well have one last laugh [while on the Council.]" Waddell was kind of enough to include an English translation with the letter but his act has still left some a bit miffed. Mayor Michael Alvaraz, for instance, was less than impressed. "It's an embarrassment for Indian Trail, and it's an embarrassment for North Carolina," he said.

Waddell is resigning from his seat on the council in part as a response to his frustrations with what he viewed as excessive development in Indian Trail, as well as perceived issues with the handling of requests for public information. He intends to continue attending board meetings as a private citizen while also initiating a write-in campaign for the Constitution Party.

Source: <a href=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/02/4582880/indian-trail-councilman-resigns.html#.UsqRt7TrKSq>Charlotte Observer

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah...if he's the sort of person that would put anything remotely official in Klingon, doesn't sound like a great loss.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Well, it's better then wiping your backside across the office carpet like a dog to write "I quite!" In your own crap.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Good to see politicians with an abnormal sense of humor yet have a distinct message they want to get across. Granted some people (read: probably most) won't get it or care or think its distasteful or something (like that Mayor). But there's no accounting for taste.
Also it could have been much worse considering he picked Klingon to write it in since generally the language is a bit more combative and less-than diplomatic.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
luvd1 said:
Well, it's better then wiping your backside across the office carpet like a dog to write "I quite!" In your own crap.
Oh man, you're spot on. Surely the only thing worse than finding someone's resignation letter smeared in shit across the carpet, would be for it to contain a spelling error!

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Wait, Klingons resign from office? I thought the only way to replace the boss is to kill the boss in that culture.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Yeah...if he's the sort of person that would put anything remotely official in Klingon, doesn't sound like a great loss.
Frankly, the only politicians I can seem to find any respect for are the ones who resign due to their principles(as that's the only clear way of telling that a politician has any).

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
There is only one thing I can say in response to this.
Qapla'!

Also, a little respect to the guy who gave no fucks enough to go through with this.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Teoes said:
luvd1 said:
Oh man, you're spot on. Surely the only thing worse than finding someone's resignation letter smeared in shit across the carpet, would be for it to contain a spelling error!
I think that depends entirely on the type of spelling error.

"I qit" would be quite an improvement I'd say, by about 20%.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, there are worse ways to resign, as Patrick McGoohan can attest to.

This, at least, holds the benefit of thoroughly confusing your peers and anyone else who happens to read it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm really kind of surprised that I seem to be in the minority for respecting this guy. I guess people apparently want their politicians to be humorless, soulless, stuffed-shirts who speak only in guarded meaningless non-statements. Personally I like it when our leaders act like human beings, I think the only time I ever had any significant amount of respect for Obama was when he was caught on tape calling Kanye West and ass.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Really guys? The people that frequent a site about videogames don't think this is funny and awesome?

The dude basically came out and said "I'm a huge nerd and fuck your political games" how can you not respect him? Is this because some people still think politicians should be serious people?

News flash. Politicians are clowns. Puppets. If you are unlucky they are corrupt puppets. At least this guy had the balls to say fuck it to all the bullshit going on in that town and went out in a way he thought would raise some eyebrows.

If I ever quit my job I'll do it whilst reciting Khamlet, the Klingon (and original) version of Hamlet.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
StewShearer said:
Mayor Michael Alvaraz, for instance, was less than impressed. "It's an embarrassment for Indian Trail, and it's an embarrassment for North Carolina," he said.
As a native North Carolinian, I have to say I think what Mr. Waddell did was AWESOME! I mean, it would be like the newly elected president delivering his first speech to the nation in Tolkien Elvish! As someone who struggles to learn organic languages (ones that are used by massive groups of people and have existed and evolved over the centuries), I am forever impressed by people who are able to speak and write in a language other than their native one, even if that language is inorganic in nature (ones that were created by a person or group of people to be spoken by only a select group, like a secret society, or fictional species).

Just be greatful he didn't write it in binary or leet-speak. If he had, the NSA would have been involved in the story. "Oh my god! He's a politician who understands computers! Arrest him!"