Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Squilookle said:
To be honest- whether the satellite is rotating in orbit or not- is there really any surprise that a US official is reporting to CNN that a North Korean satellite is a failure?

Besides, if even the US is saying it's tumbling 'in orbit', then that's pretty much an admittance that it's reached an orbit, isn't it?
It doesn't really matter considering the satellite was probably like sputnik, which had only one function once it reached orbit and that was to beep until the power ran down. Well, that and to prove they could do it. Which, incidentally was nearly 60 years ago, so the Nk isn't exactly leading the power curve regardless.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Silentpony said:
I had no idea Donald Trump was the head of the North Korean space agency!
That's an insult to North Korea. All Trump does is run things into the ground. At least NK got this thing up in the sky.

VirOath

Jan 16, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Squilookle said:
To be honest- whether the satellite is rotating in orbit or not- is there really any surprise that a US official is reporting to CNN that a North Korean satellite is a failure?

Besides, if even the US is saying it's tumbling 'in orbit', then that's pretty much an admittance that it's reached an orbit, isn't it?
It doesn't really matter considering the satellite was probably like sputnik, which had only one function once it reached orbit and that was to beep until the power ran down. Well, that and to prove they could do it. Which, incidentally was nearly 60 years ago, so the Nk isn't exactly leading the power curve regardless.
The point behind the launch really isn't the satellite. It could have been the "Glorious Leader's" dirty laundry for all it matters. The point that does matter is that having a rocket delivery system that is capable of reaching orbit means having the facilities and technology to expand the range of your ballistic missiles.

The reason why there is serious condemnation from the international community is that it shifts North Korea from being able to reasonably threaten their neighbors to being able to threaten pretty much anyone. Even if they don't have access to atomic weapons and even if it's inaccurate due to not being able to maintain a stable, controlled orbit it still means that they can use it as a delivery system for chemical or conventional warheads.

Not saying we should instantly be panicking but any real success in North Korea's space program means that they've upgraded from a knife to a gun. They may only ever use it to threaten but it is now having the means to back up more of their threats and it would be changing the situation in how the international community deals with North Korea. A situation that is already complicated enough due to China's involvement.

Historically speaking NASA's success was built on Germany's research into rocket technology during WWII. That process can be pushed into reverse, using the research for a space program to advance your own missile technology.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This should give you some idea how backwards and pathetic North Korea actually is. There are amateur satellite builders that can easily launch a satellite into orbit. Nothing massive, but they do it without any fuss. Yet some people still believe that NK was behind that Sony hack. It's still as absurd today as it was when it was first suspected.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
This should give you some idea how backwards and pathetic North Korea actually is. There are amateur satellite builders that can easily launch a satellite into orbit. Nothing massive, but they do it without any fuss. Yet some people still believe that NK was behind that Sony hack. It's still as absurd today as it was when it was first suspected.
Not Sony itself, that appears to be a disgruntled somebody who got away with it.
But I will point out the DPRK has a "petty cyber crimes and fraud" division which, while it's less of a threat than anon, they could have. It's soft target "we don't patch-y our Apache" Sony.

They also crash helicopters for the insurance and make meth their ambassadors are tasked with selling to other diplomats. Seriously.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Don't know if it's so funny when people are just a few steps behind delivering h-bombs to any spot of the world they please.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Love the satirical bent to the article, makes it very much fun to read. As with others, the worry is less about satellites and more about rockets. Nuclear weapons are old tech, it's the rockets and guidance systems that really make them dangerous. No one save maybe Iran wants to see NK with either of those other two pieces.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
This could have been written straight and would've been at least as funny, if not more so.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gorrath said:
Love the satirical bent to the article, makes it very much fun to read. As with others, the worry is less about satellites and more about rockets. Nuclear weapons are old tech, it's the rockets and guidance systems that really make them dangerous. No one save maybe Iran wants to see NK with either of those other two pieces.
Even if NK were to fire a rocket it would be shot out of the sky before it leaves their own airspace. People don't seem to realize how many eyes the US has on NK at all times. Just because the current focus is the Middle East mess, doesn't mean that nothing is being done about NK.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
One day there will probably be so many failed north-korean missiles in the yellow sea that a race of fish people can build a city out of them

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Gorrath said:
Even if NK were to fire a rocket it would be shot out of the sky before it leaves their own airspace. People don't seem to realize how many eyes the US has on NK at all times. Just because the current focus is the Middle East mess, doesn't mean that nothing is being done about NK.
Oh I'm quite keenly aware of the military dispositions in Korea and the surrounding areas. I was in the Army myself for some years. I would never ever assume that any attempt we make to shoot down munitions will be successful. I have been on the receiving end of guided and unguided attacks from enemy forces in three different conflicts. To put it bluntly, shit happens, countermeasures fail, backups fall apart and you "Ohshit!" your way into the nearest hole and hope you don't eat it.

My confidence in the U.S. military to handle NK is high but that confidence should never lead to arrogance. There are four technologies I do not want my opponent to have in any engagement: NBC (Nuke, Bio, Chem), Range, Accuracy (especially guidance systems) and stealth. Three of those technologies are the cornerstones of effective nuclear tech. I'm not saying the U.S. does nothing about NK, I know what we do, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't express concern over the development of key tech like rockets and guidance.

The motto in my profile entry sums up my feelings perfectly - Pro Patria Vigilans.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
I had no idea Donald Trump was the head of the North Korean space agency!
I am now picturing Dear Leader enslaving martians and making them build/pay for our space wall.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Dalisclock said:
Squilookle said:

Yeah but.. given that their space program is in its infancy- was NK even trying to lead the world into a new age of space exploration? Seems more to me it's just as you say- a little Sputnik of their own just to show they can do it. Even if it's tumbling around on an orbit, it just looks to me like NK achieved exactly what it attempted, and this US official is just hanging crap on it because it doesn't map GPS or host facebook or whatever else US satellites can do today.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Squilookle said:
Dalisclock said:
Squilookle said:

Yeah but.. given that their space program is in its infancy- was NK even trying to lead the world into a new age of space exploration? Seems more to me it's just as you say- a little Sputnik of their own just to show they can do it. Even if it's tumbling around on an orbit, it just looks to me like NK achieved exactly what it attempted, and this US official is just hanging crap on it because it doesn't map GPS or host facebook or whatever else US satellites can do today.
Well, I guess the reason for the piss taking is because, as this article was poking fun at, they are constantly up-playing their "Advanced Democratic Republic that's totally better then everyone" while their satellites are falling down.
I mean, I remember reading another article on this website about how they sent a propaganda video to the US showing off how they planned to invade and rekt the place...while using footage from Modern Warfare 3's story mode...

On the national stage, NK is basically that one friend who keeps making shit up to make himself sound a lot more impressive then he really is, like that story about how they built an entire empty city nearby the border to SK and hired people to "Live" there in order to keep up appearances (Most likely messed up the details there, but I do remember seeing that on Cracked or something).
So even when they do get a slight success like this, their prior, and current, grandstanding just makes them look like a laughing stock.

That and no one wants to be the guy who wants to encourage the insane pricks running the place by giving them a Gold Star for effort.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
Squilookle said:
Dalisclock said:
Squilookle said:

Well, I guess the reason for the piss taking is because, as this article was poking fun at, they are constantly up-playing their "Advanced Democratic Republic that's totally better then everyone" while their satellites are falling down.
I mean, I remember reading another article on this website about how they sent a propaganda video to the US showing off how they planned to invade and rekt the place...while using footage from Modern Warfare 3's story mode...

On the national stage, NK is basically that one friend who keeps making shit up to make himself sound a lot more impressive then he really is, like that story about how they built an entire empty city nearby the border to SK and hired people to "Live" there in order to keep up appearances (Most likely messed up the details there, but I do remember seeing that on Cracked or something).
So even when they do get a slight success like this, their prior, and current, grandstanding just makes them look like a laughing stock.

That and no one wants to be the guy who wants to encourage the insane pricks running the place by giving them a Gold Star for effort.
Yeah fair point. I just can't shake the feeling that the focus is misplaced. Like they're spending more effort dissing the satellite itself rather than the over indulgent celebrating that NK is doing over it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you North Korea's very excellent satellite...

Any questions?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Meanwhile im just sitting here thinking how silly the rest of the world looks thinking they have any effect on this by "publicly condemning" it. If anything, technological progress in such a nation is a good thing, and space research has a chance to benefit the public a lot (there is a reason NASA is the most beneficial institution in US history). Even if that research is just copying from other countries.

Adam Jensen said:
Not really. What is often claimed to be "launched into orbit" is those high altitude air baloons that float to the point where its "Technically orbit" and then die. (for examples see all those "Games launched into space" things.). you can buy a pre-built one for a few thousand dollars. Launching things into actual orbit aka the altitude sattelites go around though, no amateur would even be allowed to do it even if he could.