Norway Massacre: Anders Breivik sentenced 21 years

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
SOURCE: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/14659962/breivik-gets-21-year-prison-term-in-norway/

An Oslo court has found Anders Behring Breivik guilty of "acts of terror" and sentenced him to 21 years in prison for his killing spree last year that left 77 people dead.

The five judges unanimously found Breivik sane, a verdict in line with what the far-right extremist wanted, bringing to an end a spectacular trial for the attacks that traumatised Norway and shocked the world.

Breivik killed eight people in an Oslo blast and took 69 more lives, mostly teenagers, in a shooting frenzy at an island summer camp on July 22, 2011.

"The ruling is unanimous," presiding judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen told the court.

"He is sentenced to prison for 21 years, with a minimum of 10 years," she added. Under Norwegian law the sentence could be extended.

Breivik, wearing a dark suit with a white shirt and a grey tie, smiled as the verdict was read out.

Survivors of the Utoeya island massacre took to Twitter immediately to comment on the sentencing, with Emma Martinovic tweeting: "YEEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!"

And Viljar Hansse, who took a bullet to the head in the massacre, tweeted: "Finished. Period."

Breivik has previously said he would not appeal a prison sentence, as he wanted to be found sane so his Islamophobic ideology would not be considered the rantings of a lunatic.

Norway's penal code does not have the death penalty or life in prison, and the maximum prison term for Breivik's charges is 21 years. However, inmates who are still considered a threat to society after their sentence is up can be held indefinitely.

The 33-year-old loner, who made a right-wing salute in court after his handcuffs were taken off, had confessed to the attacks, seeing himself as a Nordic warrior against Europe's "Muslim invasion" and all those who promote multiculturalism.

The main question the court had to determine was whether he was sane and could be held responsible for his actions.

The prison sentence is what Breivik wanted, what most of the families of the victims had wanted, and what the Norwegian public wanted.

But prosecutor Svein Holden had called for Breivik to be sentenced to closed psychiatric care, arguing that "it would be worse to sentence someone who is psychotic to prison than to send someone who is not psychotic to psychiatric care".

Breivik, who laid out his hateful world view in a rambling 1500-page online manifesto, was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and declared criminally insane after his bloody rampage on July 22, 2011.

However, a public outcry led to a second assessment which found him legally sane - a view shared by most Norwegians in polls, and by Breivik. He has said he would accept prison but appeal against closed psychiatric treatment.

Breivik hopes to speak again on the final day of his trial.

In previous testimony during the 10-week trial that ran until June, Breivik laid out in chilling detail what motivated him to plan meticulously for years and execute Norway's worst massacre since World War II.

Breivik has called himself a "foot soldier" for the "Knights Templar", allegedly a clandestine ultra-right group named after an order of Christian Crusaders of the Middle Ages. Police doubt the group's existence.

He has also railed against "cultural Marxists" whose support for immigration he blames for the emergence of a "Eurabia", the reason why he targeted the centre-left government and a summer youth camp run by the Labour Party.

The court heard how Breivik spent years planning the bloodbath, using a farm as cover for purchasing the chemical fertiliser he used for the bomb he set off in a rented van outside Oslo's main government building.

In his years of seclusion, Breivik said he practised meditation, worked out and used steroids to steel his mind and body, while playing video shooting and role-playing games for relaxation.

He joined a pistol club and obtained a hunting licence to get the 9mm Glock handgun and Ruger semi-automatic rifle which he used to mow down terrified young people, the youngest just 14, trapped on the tiny lake island of Utoeya.

Dressed in a police uniform, he methodically shot dead 67 people, many at point-blank range, and two more died as they fell to their deaths or drowned while trying to escape the shooting spree, which continued for more than an hour.

During his trial Breivik showed little emotion and no remorse and once described his mass slaughter as "cruel but necessary" to protect Norway from multiculturalism.

At one stage he told the court: "I would do it again."
--------

This is hardly enough time, it should be life. 21 years jesus, that seems like such a weak sentence. shouldn't it be the life sentence or the death penelty?

he killed 77 people for christ sake. i know its there max sentence but come on he killed so many people and for what?

what do you guys/gals think about this? not enough time? and in regards to his punishment?

sorry if someone made a thread about this topic all ready, i saw it on my News site a couple of mins ago and didn't see one in Off topic discussion

communist dwarf

Oct 17, 2011
Well, I would prefer that the families get to kill him, cause I'm old fashioned like that. However I could settle for life in prison with no human contact or day light ever again...

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
communist dwarf said:
Well, I would prefer that the families get to kill him, cause I'm old fashioned like that. However I could settle for life in prison with no human contact or day light ever again...
& only bread and water to sustain him?

Yes - I'm on board for that.

If we sentenced this guy to death then we're only making him, in his eyes, a martyr.

communist dwarf

Oct 17, 2011
Nantucket said:
communist dwarf said:
& only bread and water to sustain him?

Yes - I'm on board for that.
I was thinking something more cruel than that.... I was thinking he could enjoy the wondrous joys of bland gruel and flat warm water.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
So these parts:

Under Norwegian law the sentence could be extended.
However, inmates who are still considered a threat to society after their sentence is up can be held indefinitely.
can just be ignored then?

Bear in mind the prison system in Norway is about rehabilitation and protection(of the public and the convicted), not revenge.

And I absolutely abhor the death penalty. It's pointless vengeance and has no place in today's society. Obligatory IMO.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I think a minimum of 10 years is very lenient... this man is obviously criminally insane. There are (twisted) but real motivations to go on a mass killing. For example if a group of people VERY badly wronged you and you killed them all the motivation, while slightly petty, is still real and human. You would slaughter those you hated and had reason to hate SO MUCH but obviously have the same human qualms about an innocent child or anyone else, the crime has purpose and an intended target. The motivation here was not like that. It was aimless. It was pointless and hinting of insanity. As such i dont think rehabilitation is an option for the safety of those around him. He should be locked away for life. Not for "revenge" or to "Make him suffer because im weird like that" but because its only safe. He has ZERO regard for human life and hes a dangerous man.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I agree that his sentence for 10-21 years seen rather small but hey I would gone nut for staying that long in prison!

So I guess in 2022-2033 we will be there when he is release from prison unless his prison sentence had been extended.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Well no, when 21 years have passed he will be evaluated, then that will happen every five years, and seeing how messed up he is the sessions are going to be rubber stamp sessions.

captcha: french phrases

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Mr Cwtchy said:
So these parts:

Under Norwegian law the sentence could be extended.
However, inmates who are still considered a threat to society after their sentence is up can be held indefinitely.
can just be ignored then?

Bear in mind the prison system in Norway is about rehabilitation and protection(of the public and the convicted), not revenge.

And I absolutely abhor the death penalty. It's pointless vengeance and has no place in today's society. Obligatory IMO.
I'd have mentioned the same thing ,bbut you ninjaed me. He likely won't get free any time soon, if at all.

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
communist dwarf said:
The link below shows the kind of cell he'll be staying in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19354906

He will intially be kept away from other prisoners, but not for long I guess. Seems like a pretty cosy room for someone who killed 77 people in cold blood.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Revenge is for pussies.

Anders has been dragged into the light and shown for what he is; a cruel, nasty and deluded little man who did a terrible thing.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
See here [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate].

Norway: 0.6 murders per 100,000 inhabitants per year.
United States: 4.2 murders per 100,000 inhabitants per year.

With your rates being seven times higher, I don't think Americans have any right to critique the Norwegian justice system. In fact, you should probably be taking notes.

OT: Probably for the best. The only other outcome would have been him being declared legally insane. While calling him sane was exactly what Breivik wanted, it was also probably the correct decision. I mean he's clearly crazy in an informal sense, as you have to be to kill that many people for such nonsense reasons. But he was in control of his actions, like he wasn't hallucinating or anything, so he's not insane from a legal standpoint I don't think.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Well, the man is obviously pretty mentally disturbed. There's no need to immediately sentence him to death or life in prison.
Let him do is 21 years, be evaluated routinely after that and be kept in confinement for as long as he is a potential danger. Who knows, if he's not too far gone, maybe treatment will help him realise the horror of his actions. That's being optimistic though.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Very good.

Now turn the cameras off, forget his name and his actions, and let him and his twisted beliefs rot and die in that jail cell forever. Let us never mention him again, and as he watches the world continue without him, his stand and acts forgotten, that will be a torture to his mind more potent than anything we could consciously subject him to.

Because what is the worst fate a human being can have? For their life to be impactless on this universe, and their person forgotten.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I hope they make a law that if they feel like it they can re-sentence him after his first penalty is through.
And then re-sentence him again, again and again.. Untill he dies.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
I find these kinds of threads fascinating. Indeed, I think this whole forum shows the duality of this forum incredibly well.

For what it's worth, from what I've seen the Norweigan system is one of the best in the world at actually dealing with criminals - i.e. They go in to prison as criminals and, by and large, come out as productive members of society.

In Britain, we do it wrong, they go in as criminals, and come out as highly experienced criminals with plenty of contacts in the criminal community.

As for the death penalty. I'm against it, I make no exceptions for Breivik - Let him do his 21 years without a forum to express his bile.

I know from experience that the families, friends and other loved ones of those who were killed by Breivik would not sleep any better no matter what would have happened to Breivik, his death, his life imprisonment... Nothing would make it better. Believe me.