Nosgoth Hands On - This is Not Legacy of Kain

Traistio

Jun 17, 2014
Sure it's not a LoK game, but I do enjoy a game set in the universe and showing off alternate parts of it myself.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
elvor0 said:
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
RealRT said:
FalloutJack said:
Trishbot said:
Of course, that's assuming the creators aren't nudging Blood Omen 2 out of canon (I wouldn't) or that that future wasn't made redundant by one of Nosgoth's numerous changes in history. Even still, the hellishly-ridiculously-supremely pain-in-the-ass hard segment of Soul Reaver 2 where the demons - the Hylden - are fucking everywhere is probably there after Kain's time ruling during Soul Reaver. But you are right that the loss of Tony Jay is a massive hurdle in the completion of the Legacy of Kain series. Without him, it may not be possible to handle the most grimly-sophisticated-sounding eldritch abomination ever.
Blood Omen 2 is canon. Current maps in Nosgoth beta are cities that were mentioned in BO2 (Freeport, Valeholm, Provance) and a keep on the edge of Meridian. The setup takes after Soul Reaver though, with four current vampire classes belonging to SR clans.
Just checking. There was some contention on this somewhere. (Probably in the land of tropes.)

OT: Thing is, this is a terrible idea. Do you know what humans have been in Nosgoth from day one? Cannon fodder. Vae Victus, Kain's own family motto, is the plight of all humanity on Nosgoth from the very ancient times to the very bleak future. From the very first of the game, what happens? Kain is slain as a human. What does he do? Kill more humans. Alot more. Where are they from there? Relegated to the servants and slaves of vampires, Hylden, and - later revealed - the Elder God. I don't think Nosgoth has ever had a nice day in existence, and I don't think any human in it has ever received better than a raw deal upon the wheel of fate. Why, then, would they be considered equals of supernatural entities who - in this game - would be plentiful and monstrously powerful. Kain at the beginning of his unlife was more powerful than any human that was not a part of the Circle of Nine, the great Pillar Guardians, and he beat them all anyeay.
Humanity were actually more villains, than just cannon fodder - they genocided the vamps in BO, ditto SR2 (even the vampire-hating Raziel notices the atrocities of their crusade), serve Hylden in BO2 and Moebius in SR2 and Defiance. They are small potatoes compared to Hylden or The Elder, but they are still a threat.
True true, but to my rememberence, was that not while the vampires were still..more traditional? In this game the vampires are all their highly mutated versions, and it appears to include anochronistically, the vampire clans. If the vampires are the super powerful mutants, humans wouldn't stand a chance.
The game takes place after Raziel's execution in Soul Reaver intro. Kain went missing, without them the five clans wiped out most of the Razielim and waged a civil war against each other which gave humans time to regroup and start a rebellion. Try the game once it goes open beta, you'll see for yourself how capable they are. It mostly goes with the humans being ranged, while vampires are melee - a vampire in the open is a sitting duck, but due to them being able to scale walls, they can move in a variety of ways to get the jump on humans. And when it comes to fighting up close, the humans are screwed.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
FalloutJack said:
OT: Thing is, this is a terrible idea. Do you know what humans have been in Nosgoth from day one? Cannon fodder.
Wrong.

Vampires were only ever able to bring the human population into decline during Kain's reign. The Serafan almost wiped out the vampires, and Mobius' hunters actually achieved that feat, making Kain the last of his kind. During Soul Reaver we learn that despite subjugating the human population, a rebellion arose that was powerful enough to storm one of the most powerful clan leader's fortress and pin him to his throne with three gigantic stakes. It's this period that Nosgoth takes place, the human rebellion.

Psyonix obviously made some lore up, but it all fits rather snuggly in the BO1 - SR1 timeline (SR2/D and BO2 being different and/or wibbly wobbly timelines).

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
88chaz88 said:
RealRT said:
OT: Thing is, this is a terrible idea. Do you know what humans have been in Nosgoth from day one? Cannon fodder.
Wrong.

Vampires were only ever able to bring the human population into decline during Kain's reign. The Serafan almost wiped out the vampires, and Mobius' hunters actually achieved that feat, making Kain the last of his kind. During Soul Reaver we learn that despite subjugating the human population, a rebellion arose that was powerful enough to storm one of the most powerful clan leader's fortress and pin him to his throne with three gigantic stakes. It's this period that Nosgoth takes place, the human rebellion.

Psyonix obviously made some lore up, but it all fits rather snuggly in the BO1 - SR1 timeline (SR2/D and BO2 being different and/or wibbly wobbly timelines).
Umm, dude, that's what the guy before me said, not me. You got a wrong name in the "Quote" tag there.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
RealRT said:
Umm, dude, that's what the guy before me said, not me. You got a wrong name in the "Quote" tag there.
Hah, edited! Now who looks the fool eh? Eh?!

I'll show myself out.