Not having the time to listen.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Something I have caught myself doing over the past year is when someone is trying to speak to me and I either don't care about it or lose interest I tend to walk away without saying anything. Most times it happens is with people I don't know or co-workers trying to make small talk.

The most recent example would be last Saturday. A friend of mine and I went to a sports bar/restaurant to watch the Detroit Tigers. At some point in the night some random woman came up to me and started talking with me about stuff. At some point I got tired of what she was talking about and just walked off and started to speak with my friend instead.

My friend told me that the woman looked really hurt and that I should apologize but I didn't. I just didn't want to potentially cause a scene of her yelling at me and having attention drawn to myself. That was the last time I did it though mainly because I haven't been in any conversations that involved small talk or stuff I don't care about.

Does anyone here do similar stuff?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
That is extremely rude and comes off as self absorbed so no, I don't do it. I would suggest you at least use the classic trick of coming up with an excuse about why you are moving along to talk with someone else.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, I do it with people I absolutely despise, it makes for an awesome burn and it takes absolutely no interaction or effort. Just walk away with a smile and let them stew in anger.

Would never do that to anyone else because it is immensely rude.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Other than beggers or those religon people on the street, no I don't. In saying so I can be taken advantage of like some years ago some old woman outside of her house called out to me and I stupidilly stop. It was clear she was snile as she just went on and on some stuff until my brother pulled us out of it and carry on walking.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't just walk away but I do accidentally zone out and ask them "Sorry could you repeat that? I'm afraid I didn't get it" or something along the lines, if I keep not getting it because I'm that disinterested I nod and say stuff like "I see", "Oh that" or "OK", sometimes I'm just frank and say "I'm really sorry but I'm not really in the mood to talk right now", which normally works and while they do look a bit bothered by it, it' also really obvious I'm distraught with something else on my mind and I'm not kind of person that likes to talk about their problems.

However there are a couple of co-workers that I can't stand, one is a girl that has a crush on me that won't stop pestering me and asking me the same questions over and over again and I just tell her that I don't care because I'm so tired of her, it's not like I wanted to be that rude to her but I tried letting her down easy and it didn't work, I tried the direct approach and it didn't work so if it's clear that I'm not interested and she insists, I'm sorry but she must be aware that she's bothering me.

The other one is a co-worker that's ugh... a junkie he does a lot of drugs, I don't get along well with him for several reasons all of which I've made clear to him so I just tell him to shut up and go away whenever he starts talking, he's also super weird and keeps talking about fucking me or raping me which honestly makes me super uncomfortable and is one the main reasons I instinctively tell him to fuck off.

I also do it to my current boss, but that's just how we talk to each other, we don't really mean anything bad by it, you know we say hello to each other by calling each other assholes and then laughinhg about it and stuff, it also means that when he legitimately annoys me I can just tell him to shut the fuck up and it's not a reason to fire me which is kinda cool I guess, I've been fired from other jobs for doing that.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I tend to try and keep to myself mainly, but I can't say I have ever just walked away without saying anything. I at the very least feign that I have somewhere to be, or something important to do so I can walk away. If I am at work and I don't want to particularly talk to anyone (which tends to be the majority of the time) then I just act extremely absorbed in what I am doing. This helps in two ways: 1) I get my work done quicker and 2)It greatly reduces the chances of someone bothering me.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Kaleion said:
I don't just walk away but I do accidentally zone out and ask them "Sorry could you repeat that? I'm afraid I didn't get it" or something along the lines, if I keep not getting it because I'm that disinterested I nod and say stuff like "I see", "Oh that" or "OK", sometimes I'm just frank and say "I'm really sorry but I'm not really in the mood to talk right now", which normally works and while they do look a bit bothered by it, it' also really obvious I'm distraught with something else on my mind and I'm not kind of person that likes to talk about their problems.

However there are a couple of co-workers that I can't stand, one is a girl that has a crush on me that won't stop pestering me and asking me the same questions over and over again and I just tell her that I don't care because I'm so tired of her, it's not like I wanted to be that rude to her but I tried letting her down easy and it didn't work, I tried the direct approach and it didn't work so if it's clear that I'm not interested and she insists, I'm sorry but she must be aware that she's bothering me.

The other one is a co-worker that's ugh... a junkie he does a lot of drugs, I don't get along well with him for several reasons all of which I've made clear to him so I just tell him to shut up and go away whenever he starts talking, he's also super weird and keeps talking about fucking me or raping me which honestly makes me super uncomfortable and is one the main reasons I instinctively tell him to fuck off.

I also do it to my current boss, but that's just how we talk to each other, we don't really mean anything bad by it, you know we say hello to each other by calling each other assholes and then laughinhg about it and stuff, it also means that when he legitimately annoys me I can just tell him to shut the fuck up and it's not a reason to fire me which is kinda cool I guess, I've been fired from other jobs for doing that.
Have you gone to your boss or the police about the junkie co-worker? I feel like him saying that stuff is against the law.

Affordablequote said:
Jesus man that's fucking rude.

I know you didn't care for that woman but at least invent an excuse like ''Sorry me and my friends were talking about important stuff, I got to go''. If you don't want her to cause a scene at you, just don't be fucking rude in the first place.

You know, maybe that woman just wanted to be nice or was even trying to flirt with you.
Whether you're interested or not isn't an excuse to be rude like that.
I understand that it's rude I just can't bring myself to care that it's rude until someone I know points it out. Plus I don't understand why complete strangers have to approach me in the first place. Unless it's their job or it's someone I know I can't stand talking with people I don't know.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Bat Vader said:
Have you gone to your boss or the police about the junkie co-worker? I feel like him saying that stuff is against the law.
I live in México, I'm afraid that's just typical Mexican humour if it makes me uncomfortable it's my fault for being awkward everyone else is cool with that here, plus I do realize that it's more because of my personal experiences that I'd rather keep to myself than anything else, and well while I think he's annoying and I want to kick his ass I don't want to send him to jail, that seems excessive, he has redeeming qualities I think... Well maybe not but he could develop some, I mean I've been trying my best to turn him into a better person but it's not working, he's so stupid, one day he's just going OD and I'm going to feel really bad for failing to convince him to stop.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
People don't generally randomly talk to me out of the sheer blue. There's a premeditated interation going on there. A cashier adding up my purchases might make small talk because he or she is bored. Other patrons don't just walk up to me and say stuff. Not at stores, movie theater, various streets in town, etc. I guess I don't have a 'Botherable' face.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Bat Vader said:
I understand that it's rude I just can't bring myself to care that it's rude until someone I know points it out. Plus I don't understand why complete strangers have to approach me in the first place. Unless it's their job or it's someone I know I can't stand talking with people I don't know.
That's some anti-social behavior right there. Not caring is not a good excuse, honestly that sounds very childish.

Not sure what else to say about it. It's shitty behavior, don't do it. Be reasonable about it and learn to care.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Bat Vader said:
That's some anti-social behavior right there. Not caring is not a good excuse, honestly that sounds very childish.

Not sure what else to say about it. It's shitty behavior, don't do it. Be reasonable about it and learn to care.
Pretty much this.

You're from the United States, correct? I've been to a lot of other countries where social customs differ, and I'd take that into consideration before talking to you about your behavior. Given that you are American and Americans are some of the most forwardly inviting people towards strangers I've ever met, to completely blow someone off and walk away in mid-sentence doesn't simply convey that you are uninterested and wish to be left alone, it loudly exclaims to everyone present that that person is not worth respect or acknowledgement. This is especially offensive given that these people are taking the initiative and risk that comes with introducing the engagement in the first place.

Simply put, in American culture, your behavior is absolutely vile, and if you keep it up, everyone, even your current friends, will see you as a trite shithead. By your own admittance that you don't care enough to even avoid burning people by effortlessly giving a polite excuse, no one will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I generally don't care either if it's small talk or something that doesn't specifically interest me, but I try to be respectful in the very least. And a woman coming up to you to start a conversation? Be glad, in all my 32 years on this earth that has never happened to me.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I don't just walk away from people, no. I'm not really talkative unless I know the person and I don't usually pursue conversations with strangers. Still, I can hold a conversation with randoms if the situation calls for it. I've also been accused of being too nice, not unable to ignore somebody I despise if they start talking to me. I'll drop heavy hints that I don't want to talk with them but I can't tell someone to just fuck off. So yeah, I'll even listen to somebody I despise prattle on... mostly.

Plus not being talkative often gives off the vibe that I'm mentally handicapped, so people don't usually approach me for a conversation unless they see me talking. Pretty useful if I don't want to be bothered while out.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Jesus, dude.

No.

God, no.

I'm far too polite in person for anything like that to happen. Hell, at work, I likely say "pardon me" and "excuse me" more times than I breathe. I always default to responding to attempts at conversation, even if it's awkward, as a matter of course. And when you leave? Say something. Basic etiquette. No, not even that! Basic decency. You just don't do that sort of crap, m8.

Golden Rule. Always the Golden Rule. I wouldn't appreciate someone doing that to me so I'm not going to do it to someone else.

Bah, even without that guiding principle, I still think that's just a dick thing to do.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
No strangers really talk to me in the first place these days, so I guess I'm one step ahead on the anti-social ladder. If people do talk to me, I will usually assume it is with malicious intent of the vein "Hey, lets go make fun of the weird quiet guy in the corner.", if they don't just skip straight to shouting insults at me as I walk past on the street (which I wouldn't really count as talking anyway).
Given the assumption of malice I will probably come across as hostile and defensive until I have reason to believe that they are not talking to me at my expense, and if I'm feeling particularly impatient with them, I will probably just leave at some point so I don't give them the satisfaction of being their entertainment.

Not that I put myself in a situation where this is at all likely to occur any more. I only leave the house to walk to work and back, about 15 minutes each way, which is still apparently enough time for a regular supply of random insults shouted in my direction...

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
So you just walked away rudely.

Well then, were people right to say there is no such thing as manners and respect anymore?

Time for me to leave the internet again.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
No?

I mean, I've done it to people who were being rude or aggressive, but doing it to someone who is trying to be friendly is just a massive dick move.

EDIT: Oh, as an aside I remember this one time when a woman came up and tried talking to me and I thought she was talking to my friend who was standing next to me. (She had this oddly indirect way of looking at you.) Figured I'd leave them to it, so I just sat and sipped my drink. She quickly gave up and moved on. Whereupon my friend promptly elbowed my in the ribs, hard, and goes, "Mate, what the fuck is wrong with you today?!"

That was over ten years ago. Still makes me cringe a bit to remember it.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Hmm, I would do that to people who I think are not worth talking to, and I want them to know that they are not worth talking to.

So, yes. Extremely offensive move in my book.