Not much ammo left now. Need to save bullets. Need to be careful. Every shot must count.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Killing Floor doesn't necessarily give you a lack of ammo, but your max ammo is low enough that the line between "wasteful" and "proper" is very, very thin. Especially if you get the more powerful weapons like the LAW (missile launcher) that only have around 10-25 rounds (depending on your perk's level) for waves of several hundred. You really have to carefully judge when to let your teammates take care of something and when to take a shot.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
C95J said:
Binnsyboy said:
Metro 2033. That is all.
Agreed, especially
After the library I always have low ammo from the librarians going through the section with the Amoebas
Ohman.

The Librarians were real bullet sponges.

I think you can just sneak past them though.

The ameobas were hell.

Dukenstein

Jul 14, 2010
DayZ...holy hell running out of ammo is bad. I however got to the point where I have enough to spare now. Finding a saw with 400 rounds is great for everyone.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Medal of Honor 2010 had a scene where this was supposed to happen as an intentional part of the game. It was a really tense and well done scene.

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
Resident Evil 4 in the very first major section where you had to fend off villagers until the bell tower sounded. I must have nearly pissed myself on multiple occasions trying to outrun those fuckers with the chainsaws, not the way I want to go out.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
Ohman.

The Librarians were real bullet sponges.

I think you can just sneak past them though.

The ameobas were hell.
Yeah when I played through on a harder difficulty I learnt how to sneak past them, I couldn't avoid fighting one or two though :p

And yes the Amoebas section is my least favourite part of the game.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
erttheking said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:
In both modern Fallout games, I have what I call my 'Lack of Inventory' playthrough. What I do then is only have:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm
All the ammo I have for that firearm

I can replace anything I have but I must throw the previous item away, including all ammo if it's a firearm.

So you can tell I'm desperate when it comes to conserving bullets, especially when my melee weapon breaks.
...that settles it, I am so doing that.

I take it I can't keep the other stuff to sell at the store or stimpacks?
When it comes to food/healing you can only use it on the spot where you found it or leave it for later (if it's still there).

You can only sell the items that you are limited to, but you can then replace them by finding or buying. There are no restrictions to bottlecaps.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033, at least for the first half of S.T.AL.K.E.R. as I had a ton of ammo stashes by the end of the game. You have to aim, every shot, make sure each one hits right where you need it to. Yeah, Ukrainian horror games, despite me hating horror, are some of my favourite games of all time, because of the atmosphere. Also, the fact that I'm Ukrainian, and I speak Russian. I know what EVERYONE is saying, not just the people who have been translated into English. Good games.

SEXTON HALE

Apr 12, 2012
I would usually just take out my melee weapon and start taking names from there.
Though if I don't have one to hand I usually run away like a ***** and hide.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
imahobbit4062 said:
In Uncharted 2 I came across a fair few of those moments during crushing.

No ammo, 3 guys with RPG's, a shotgunner and 2 Armored Minigun guys. I had no ammo on the hardest difficulty.

The events that followed were so fucking nerve wrecking, but I still made it through.
Right you are!

I can remember the playing the first Uncharted where you go underground where there is water and scaffolding and there were at least five enemies PLUS ones that come from behind AND at the sides midway into the gunfight and I couldn't afford to stay in the open since all the enemies get head-shots in Crushing difficulty and was very low on ammo and have left grenade launcher (already used one shot of two) in the previous area before dropping down and almost being completely surrounded from all angles!

After about 15 attempts I toughed it out and killed the first five along with the bastard with the shotgun, then another two then took their ammo and ran for a pillar after my rock cover crumbled under gunfire then took out the other three and the rest that jumped down were I was a moment ago and took out two and had to leave most of the ammo because another asshole with a shotgun was flanking me from the right so I made a mad dash to the first spot I started and killed the renaming gunner (my health was EXTREMELY LOW at this point and had no time to recover!) only to barely have enough ammo to kill one more dude which would be the 2nd last that was unfortunately NOT the guy that had the shotgun and when I realized where he was he was right NEXT to me ready to blow me away to the last continue point!

...but he didn't, he had to RELOAD!

Can you believe how relived I was!? I tackled him from behind and broke his freaking neck, took his gun and was on my merry way, what a RUSH!

The earlier area with the plane crash was hell on earth on Crushing difficulty too

In the other Uncharted games I remember rushing multiple guys FIRING on me at the same time cause I'm out of ammo to beat to death one of them for their gun to kill the others and it WORKED!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jynthor said:
I never run out of ammo thanks to EA! I just pay a few bucks, and bam, full magazine.
Really? Which game? Also, you exclusively play EA titles? Or are they providing that awesome service to other games as well now? :D

OT: Yep, Spec Ops: The Line, constantly. You run out of bullets fast and it's not always easy to get out of cover and pick a new weapon/more ammo up. Plus, often I'll just have shotguns lying near while there's a pile of long range assholes to pick off still. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge issue most of the time, certainly not survival horror kind of issue, but it does happen quite a bit.

Also happens to me in BF3 from time to time. Don't always have an Assault guy nearby and when I'm taking up a supporting position, I can get into some ammo trouble (not just main weapon, I use an automatic pistol, so it's not rare to run out of ammo for it as well). Makes for some fun mandatory knifing practice :p

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
In both modern Fallout games, I have what I call my 'Lack of Inventory' playthrough. What I do then is only have:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

I can replace anything I have but I must throw the previous item away, including all ammo if it's a firearm.

So you can tell I'm desperate when it comes to conserving bullets, especially when my melee weapon breaks.
Hmm, I'm going to find a mod that forces that, or maybe make it myself, in any case that's an awesome idea

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
metro 2033, with the fucking glowy suicide slime balls, every FUCKING TIME i ran out of ammo

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
During the Dead Money DLC of Fallout New Vegas.

I was at the bit where you have to climb a bell tower and set off some fireworks (or something similar, if memory serves me). When you enter the tower, it counts as a new area, so it autosaves. It wasn't until I'd sent the flares of fireworks or whatever it was, and exited the tower, that I released something - I was extremely low and ammo and health. There was nothing that I could do, as the game had auto saved, and, to make matters worse, I was on Hardcore mode.

I had about 2 stimpacks, and 5 or so shots with a magnum - that was it. And I had to get through this entire area, with enemies everywhere. Needless to say it took a fair few attempts, and I had to turn the difficulty down to very easy as I was near enough on 1-hit-dead level of HP. Not my finest hour...

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I always enjoy playing that way. I almost never upgrade ammo in Borderlands, because I'd rather switch out weapons. Whenever I play Horde in Gears of War 2/3 I see how long I can go with using just a pistol and grenades (if I find them, never buy). Going down to just a Snub Pistol and empty Lancer/Retro Lancer is such a blast, especially being the last survivor on the team.
Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is so surprisingly awesome to me with all the options to make your own layout for each character. I usually go with just one weapon so I can boost my cooldown on all my skills. Using a Claymore shotgun or similar low-payload/heavy-hitter weapon just feels fun when you're fighting off heavy waves and getting low, knowing after two more shots you need to GET RUNNING!!!

Thanks OP for letting me get that out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Aerosteam 1908 said:
erttheking said:
Aerosteam 1908 said:

1 headgear
1 body armour
1 melee weapon
1 firearm

...that settles it, I am so doing that.

I take it I can't keep the other stuff to sell at the store or stimpacks?
When it comes to food/healing you can only use it on the spot where you found it or leave it for later (if it's still there).

You can only sell the items that you are limited to, but you can then replace them by finding or buying. There are no restrictions to bottlecaps.
What about repairing, how does that work?