(NOT TO DO WITH GAMES)Why do most bands suck when they sell out?

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Lets think of a few examples here:
>Linkin park - I saw these guys loads, but since minutes to midnight, I wasn't impressed.
>GreenDay - Warning wasn't THAT bad, but all albums before it made it look abysmal.
>Drowning pool - Well, not really there fault, the first singer died and the second left.

Post some examples here, and before you critise my music, I like rock, metal and nu-metal as the linkin park example shows.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
How exactly has Drowning Pool sold out?

And it would seem that your idea of selling out are bands trying different things...good one.

Nov 28, 2007
I disagree about Green Day. I like several of their new songs as much as I like their old songs. You want to talk about sell-outs, you're talking Metallica.

agerdemon

Feb 14, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I disagree. Crazy Taxi was made epic by Offspring's soundtrack.
I actually started listening to The Offspring because of playing Crazy Taxi, good game and great band.

DownOnTheUpside

Jan 5, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
I do have to disagree about Green Day, they've always sucked. Selling out didn't help them.
I agree 100%.

Drowning Pool started sucking right after the first singer died.

Linkin Park, I think, didn't have much of Mike Shinoda around for Minutes To Midnight so that's why I think the album wasn't that great. If I'm wrong though... They just didn't make a good album.

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
It's because when they finally sell out they have lost what they started singing for in the first place. The enjoyment it brought themselves and those around them. When you stop playing for all the right reasons you tend to lose talent and popularity. People don't want to see someone who's arrogant and money hungry. They want someone they can at least relate to on some level or another.

^_^

jim_doki

Mar 29, 2008
you people cannot possibly understand how much i hate the word "Sellout" when it's substituted for "success".

Linkin Park had two very successful albums that were interchangable. from their debut they were a rap/rock act with synth overtones. Minutes is an example of NOT selling out as they are trying different elements on their record to make it more interesting

The Green Day argument always amuses me, it's KINDA like they forgot how popular they were BEFORE Warning, with just enough time to ***** about how much they've changed. Warning wasn;t that much different to some of the other GD albums, it was just calmer because they weren't angry. enter American idiot

Don't talk about Drowning Pool. that band suffered a huge tragedy when that guy choked in the back of a bus and now they're trying to continue doing what they love, with help from an outside party

AnGeL.SLayer

Oct 8, 2007
..choked...I heard he had a drug over dose...Would have been funnier if he had drowned...I'm cruel >.<'

^_^

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Most great bands don't sell out, they just continue to make great music that changes over time. However, a lot of bands that make it big are usually good for their first album because they've spent years writing songs and those songs subsequently make up the first album. Their second albums usually suck because they've been forced to produce more music that will earn money whilst they're still popular.

Truly great bands, on the other hand will manage to consistently make great music even if they do change their style. System Of A Down, Rage Against The Machine, The Living End, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Sublime, Nirvana... All of these bands have been able to create consistently great albums despite creative changes (well maybe not RATM, but they've got too many classics to be disregarded...), unlike today's music industry that consistently pumps out mediocre Arctic Monkeys and My Chemical Romance wannabes.

Most of this applies to Britain, I don't know what music anywhere else is like just now...

qbert4ever

Dec 14, 2007
jim_doki said:
you people cannot possibly understand how much i hate the word "Sellout" when it's substituted for "success".

Linkin Park had two very successful albums that were interchangable. from their debut they were a rap/rock act with synth overtones. Minutes is an example of NOT selling out as they are trying different elements on their record to make it more interesting

The Green Day argument always amuses me, it's KINDA like they forgot how popular they were BEFORE Warning, with just enough time to ***** about how much they've changed. Warning wasn;t that much different to some of the other GD albums, it was just calmer because they weren't angry. enter American idiot

Don't talk about Drowning Pool. that band suffered a huge tragedy when that guy choked in the back of a bus and now they're trying to continue doing what they love, with help from an outside party
It's so true it needs to be on here twice.

Anyways, the thing that gets me is when people say something "sucks". All I seem to hear is "Green Day/Linkin Park/Metallica sucks!". Well, if that's true, why have they sold so many albums? Same thing with Family Guy. If it sucks so hard, why do so many people love it? After all, Fox didn't bring it back from the dead just for shits and giggles.

If you want to say you don't like something, that's fine with me, freedom of speech and all that. But as soon as you say something is shit/awesome without at the very least adding "IMO", well, that is about the time I stop caring what you have to say and start thinking of you as a common troll.

Akatsuki_slave

Apr 7, 2008
jim_doki said:

Agreed. Minutes in my favorite LP album b/c it's different than the first two. I love where they went with it.

Do you think Radiohead 'sold out' when they made Kid A just b/c it was different? Come on.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
thebobmaster said:
I disagree about Green Day. I like several of their new songs as much as I like their old songs. You want to talk about sell-outs, you're talking Metallica.
Come get your Metallica Laundry bags everyone. I shit you not, they exist! But its is not anyones right to say a band sucks because they make money.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well simply bands suck when they sellout because they start making the same song over and over and don't change things creatively. this is mostly due to the producer and record label wanting the same sound.

ratm and metallica are two great examples of sellouts, ratm kept making the same song over and over and metallica changed their sound to be popular like all the other bands out there. the irony about ratm was they were all anticapitalism and yet that's what they became

the hard part about being a sellout is the actual definition of what a sellout is, everyone has a different one

May 17, 2007
thebobmaster said:
You want to talk about sell-outs, you're talking Metallica.
Argh, everyone says that and it's bullshit! Metallica changed their sound, yes, but they changed it from something popular to something unpopular. They stopped doing what they'd been doing for years and tried something new and weird. Which nearly everybody hated. And which only sold a bunch of albums because, hey, it's Metallica, their three billion fans will buy the albums if only to burn them on a pyre. They would have sold more copies if they'd released The Black Album II.

The Offspring are the definitive sell-out band. Go back and listen to their self-titled album and Ignition and see if it don't just make you cry.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Better sell-outs than like, not selling at all.

FFS, I mean, I've been a huge fan of OK Go for the past four years or so. They've made a grand total of two albums in that time, and the rest of it is just touring over and over again! At least your guys are getting new stuff written, heh.