Not trolling but common sense and fact, Is the Xbox one dead?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
The XBone isn't dead in most of the World; it's not selling as well as the PS4, and has only started selling better then the WiiU (According to VGChartz), but I wouldn't call it "Dead". It's just inferior to the PS4 and doesn't have enough differences from it, like the WiiU, to really make it a justifiable main or secondary console. I expect that if the WiiU gets it's act together next year (AKA A Game a month), then the XBone will end up being a last place console, but it should have decent numbers (15-20 Million).

The XBone is already Dead in Japan (It's at 1K as of Last Week [http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=190756]), but that was to be expected.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I have a PS4 and honestly I don't think that the XBox One is dead.

Same thing for the WiiU. There are still 'next gen' systems. Honestly I think it is more the way the technology is.

From what I understand, the XBox One uses non-typical architecture, much like how I perceive the WiiU due to it's gamepad technology. While I maybe wrong on this, I thing it makes it harder for the developers to work within the constraints of those consoles.

That was what held the PS3 back, and I think it is holding the others back.

Would I buy an XBox One? No. The games coming out for it do not interest me. Same for the WiiU, but I do admit, should Nintendo ever develop and release Pokemon Snap 2 (I'd settle for HD remake of original) on the WiiU, I would but the console for that one thing alone.

I am happy with my PS4 and I hope the people who have the XB1 or WiiU are happy with their machines.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
krazykidd said:
Also tons of gameplay =/= tons of games.
I agree, but I'd just specified the number of games I own for it (and I'd say 9 is a reasonable amount given the system's life) so I don't see what the point in mentioning that is.

krazykidd said:
The problem is, in my opinion, the WIIU has no "worthwild" games, except MAYBE mariokart. Where is metroid? Where is kirby? Where is zelda ( no that dynasty warrior knock off is no subsitute)? Where are the games we know and love from nintendo?

Again this is my opinion, and i trully hope , the wiiu does well, and we get a lot more games.
*worthwhile. And that's fine - you're entitled to your opinion. Just maybe you should amend your statement to read "no games that appeal to me."

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
It isn't dead. In fact sales these last few weeks have been pretty damn strong and with MCC and Halo 5 you can expect that to pick up even more.

When I play games online I find full matches quite quickly. There are a lot of people out there.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
From what I understand, the XBox One uses non-typical architecture,
The PS4 and Xbox One have nearly identical hardware, the PS4 is just a bit more powerful.

OT: No.

European Uppercut

Sep 2, 2014
Mr.Mattress said:
The XBone isn't dead in most of the World; it's not selling as well as the PS4, and has only started selling better then the WiiU (According to VGChartz), but I wouldn't call it "Dead". It's just inferior to the PS4 and doesn't have enough differences from it, like the WiiU, to really make it a justifiable main or secondary console. I expect that if the WiiU gets it's act together next year (AKA A Game a month), then the XBone will end up being a last place console, but it should have decent numbers (15-20 Million).

The XBone is already Dead in Japan (It's at 1K as of Last Week [http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=190756]), but that was to be expected.
It's hardly even inferior - it's barely different enough to really mention it and have it mean anything. No one is making something only for the PS4 because the XBO can't handle it. Stuff like that is non-sense. It's all down to preference, and for some people, whichever company sank their claws into you and your friends first.

European Uppercut

Sep 2, 2014
ScrabbitRabbit said:
VoidWanderer said:
From what I understand, the XBox One uses non-typical architecture,
The PS4 and Xbox One have nearly identical hardware, the PS4 is just a bit more powerful.

OT: No.
The One does have a few quirks about it that Microsoft has needed to guide a few developers through, once it's figured out though it's a lock for future titles, etc.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
European Uppercut said:
Mr.Mattress said:

It's hardly even inferior - it's barely different enough to really mention it and have it mean anything. No one is making something only for the PS4 because the XBO can't handle it. Stuff like that is non-sense. It's all down to preference, and for some people, whichever company sank their claws into you and your friends first.
Well, I have heard a lot of rumors that Devs where having a hard time getting their games up to 1080p HD Graphics, and it is true that a lot of the first games released on the console (Including Titanfall) could only push 900p normally, but regardless, I can't believe that only Preference is at play here, when one console is at ~11 Million (PS4) while the other is at 5.5 Million (XBone). There's got to be a more concrete reason then Preference, as if that where the case, then the XBone and PS4 would be neck and neck, like the PS3 and 360 where for most of their life.

Personally, I think it's because of the reasons I stated: It's slightly inferior to the PS4, and it's not as different from it as the WiiU is, making it sort of this odd copy-cat console with no real audience of it's own. Also, it had bad Press prior to and during release, which definitely harmed first Holiday sales.

Teepop

Sep 21, 2014
The price cut upon losing Kinect was no where near enough. I was astounded, I really don't know what they are playing at.

I have the XO and PS4 (and Wii U) and my XO is on now and all the time in fact. I use it as my media centre and Kinect is an integral part.

I really don't understand why anyone would buy a standalone XO now unless it was significantly cheaper than the PS4. The problem is that it is the same price.

Unless you are really desperate for specific XO exclusives, don't care much for the PS4's great exclusives or all your friends are on XBL, then I really can't see anyone having any justification for buying an XO.

I mean think about it. An XO with no Kinect - would you buy it if it were £50 less than a PS4?! Really? That's the price of one game. Big deal. That doesn't seem worth having inferior (granted not by much) graphics on most games?

I'd rather pay £100 more and have Kinect! I guess it would have to undercut PS4 by at least £100 for me to buy one if I could only afford one console.

I don't see it dying though, I am sure MS would come to their senses and go really aggressive on price before that happens.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Common sense? Common sense would be to remember the Dewey Defeats Truman example of not counting chickens before they hatch. Common sense would be not to count the guy on the mat out until the ref calls for the bell.
Until Microsoft closes their doors, Xbox isn't dead. Hell PS3 went through the same shit for the first few years of its life. Just because someone is ahead in the console race doesn't mean the competition is done.
Soon as a Halo is released there will be a larger resurgence of Xbox fans that may balance out the scales.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Correct me if im wrong but has the Xbox One had a pretty strong launch so far? Just its out paced by the success of the PS4. No the Xbox One is not dead by any stretch of the imagination, its not the strongest one out there but its doing well enough.

Ragnar47183

Mar 5, 2014
As much as I would love to see Microsoft taken down a peg or two, you have to remember that they just spent 2.5 BILLION on minecraft.

Microsoft has more money than god. They can just give 3 xbones to everyone in the world if they really wanted to.

Although if they keep making decisions like they have been recently I am not sure how long that pool of money will last. Not even sure why people still by crap from them when they have proven time and time again to make horrible decisions.

Personally I think consoles need a shake up and wouldn't mind seeing a few new contenders. I hope the steam OS can meet that demand unlike the Ouya. Honestly I am surprised Apple hasn't tried its hand here. Those people will by any crap they shove out.

wickedmonkey

Nov 11, 2009
I'll admit, I've done nothing but laugh at the XBOne, I laughed at its reveal (SPORTS!), I laughed at the post launch numbers and I'm still laughing. PC master race here, I don't own a PS4 but I plan to a little later on - I'm in no hurry.

Context out of the way, is it dead? No. Is it flopping a bit? I'd say so.

Microsoft went into this with little regard for their core consumer base (like they did with Windows 8), while the TV and split screen functionality is nice I guess stuff like the draconian online-checking was a big ol' finger to their gaming customers. And because they've tried to do a bit of everything with the console in an attempt to broaden its audience, what should have been its primary focus, gaming, suffered and still suffers with sub-par power/speed etc, so enthusiasts who want the best looking games to play on their consoles will, especially after reviews and comparisons come out, gravitate towards the more focussed console.

Microsoft have spread themselves too thin on the XBOne and have just wasted $2.5 billion on Minecraft because Notch and friends jumped ship not long after the deal went through. So just like the XBone riding on the coat-tails of its predecessor for a portion of its sales, any immediate success will be riding on the Minecraft brand name, which I could quite easily see Microsoft mucking up before too long without Notch and co around and Minecraft 2 selling well to begin with but then getting mashed in the reviews and struggling along like the XBOne.

If Microsoft can get their best wizards to work their magic on DX12 and help bring the XBOne gaming performance up to speed or at least improved significantly then I'd say they're still in the fight but they're definitely going to be on the back foot for a while and will need to fight very hard to stay relevant.

Incidentally Microsoft are going to be in trouble in the next few years on the PC side of things too if more and more developers move away from DirectX and over to OpenGL because then you don't even need Windows to play your games, you can use Linux or SteamOS (providing of course, the OS's have been refined a bit further and made a little more user-friendly).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Ragnar47183 said:
As much as I would love to see Microsoft taken down a peg or two, you have to remember that they just spent 2.5 BILLION on minecraft.

Microsoft has more money than god. They can just give 3 xbones to everyone in the world if they really wanted to.

Although if they keep making decisions like they have been recently I am not sure how long that pool of money will last. Not even sure why people still by crap from them when they have proven time and time again to make horrible decisions.

Personally I think consoles need a shake up and wouldn't mind seeing a few new contenders. I hope the steam OS can meet that demand unlike the Ouya. Honestly I am surprised Apple hasn't tried its hand here. Those people will by any crap they shove out.
It's not so much how much money Microsoft will have before it's gone. It's how much are the investors are willing to put up with it. The Xbox was already seen in bad light when it was first revealed, and the past 3 generations of the console "wars" have not improved that image in the slightest. If the Xbox is gone next gen it's going to be because investors finally said "fuck it. Pull the plug on this thing." Not because they are in any real financial woes.

Gamerpalooza

Sep 26, 2014
Is it dead? No

From my point of view the Xbox console, ever since the introduction of the Xbox 360, has distanced itself and became it's own unique platform that in a sense is why it struggles to be relevant in this industry.

The biggest problem that I see is that Microsoft doesn't seem to understand the power behind exclusivity. They spend so much trying to be Sony's imitation that their console tends to not have much of an image outside the "multiplatform" machine with "better network". Which is all well and good if it wasn't for those games ending up in PC which kills that image and identity altogether.

For having such great studios like Rare it's a shame than they would rather spend their resources forming 3rd party alliances where they don't really get much of a benefit. Losing Bungie and the way Microsoft has handled PR for nearly a decade now just ends up showing me that their priorities are somewhere that doesn't make me comfortable as a gamer and consumer.

Jaegerbombastic

Sep 20, 2014
No, its not "dead." Not even close. The XboxOne has been selling fairly well, just not the gangbusters sales that the PS4 is doing. Its a lot like the situation between the original Xbox and the PS2 except the difference isn't as huge.

However, the XbOne is in a pretty bad disadvantage that can come back to haunt them later on. Because Microsoft decided to focus on everything other than gaming, the console is now stuck being the "inferior" one of the big two (Nintendo, being Nintendo, is off doing its own thing and not really caring about console war dick measuring). Even with the Kinect-less version, the XbOne still comes across as the worst value for your money. Why would anyone buy it if the PS4 is at the same price and has better hardware specs? That's going to hurt them when it comes to multiplatforms.

So that leaves Microsoft having to bank on brand loyalty and their exclusive IPs. Brand loyalty can only get you so far if your console isn't providing anything to satiate the fanboys that aren't the dogged extremists. So what the XbOne has to rely on is exclusives like Halo. I think Microsoft is aware of this, which is why they're focused more on pushing out new IPs like Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound compared to Sony just relying on their old IPs with established fanbases. All it takes is for one of these to be massively popular for the console to start hitting its stride; thats what happened to the PS3 with the Uncharted series. On the flip side, if those games fail and all Microsoft has going for it is Halo, they could be in big trouble.

Ragnar47183

Mar 5, 2014
Dragonbums said:
Ragnar47183 said:

It's not so much how much money Microsoft will have before it's gone. It's how much are the investors are willing to put up with it. The Xbox was already seen in bad light when it was first revealed, and the past 3 generations of the console "wars" have not improved that image in the slightest. If the Xbox is gone next gen it's going to be because investors finally said "fuck it. Pull the plug on this thing." Not because they are in any real financial woes.
The investors have been around through Vista and Windows 8 so i'm sure the Xbone (which is still selling millions) will be just fine with them.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Dead? No. If you want to see dead, look at the Xbox One's three weeks of sales in Japan. Twenty five thousand, then three thousand, then thirteen hundred units moved week by week. THAT'S dead.

Globally, the sales aren't doing badly, although a large part of that is due to the North American numbers, and a big, big boost at launch.

By what little information we have, the Xbox One looks to be doing worse in mainland Europe than its predecessor did, (last generation, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 in Germany by about 2:1, whereas the PS4's outsold the Xbox One there by 3:1, keeping in mind Germany is a tier 1 country) due likely in part to their lack of a head start in tier one countries, and significant timing disadvantage in the other regions. So, while the Xbox 360 was marginally a global brand, the Xbox One looks like it might be even more centered around its last-gen strongholds this time around, with less presence beyond those borders than it used to have.

Even if it never catches up to the PS4 in those strongholds, however- North America, U.K., etc- it should still gather enough sales from those regions to have solid global numbers. Likely still get their butt kicked in Worldwide numbers by the PS4- even if they do catch up to the PS4 in North America, they'll still get their butt kicked worldwide- but not catching up to the PS4 doesn't equate failure. ^_^

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
Fonejackerjon said:
In two years the Xbone one will be dead. Mark my words. This isnt trolling this is common sense and fact.
It's not really common sense if you think a company will discontinue a product they sunk millions into, just because its first year of sales wasn't as good as its competitors. You probably should consider taking some Finance courses, but I doubt your incredibly busy schedule will allow for that.