NOT well-recieved games that you like and won't stop defending.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
With the release of Dragon Age Origins on GOG not so long ago, I once again started thinking about Dragon Age II and about how it was recieved by, at the very least, people who actively voiced their opinions here and on other platforms (Don't know about the majority of people).

I remembered how critical people were of this game and remembered my own opinions on both of those games, which I formed before actually reading reviews, comments, etc. And you know what? I like DAII more.

Now, I am not saying that DAO is a bad game, far from it. What I am saying, however, is that it was pretty generic, more so for Bioware game. It had a fairly standart plot, standart character/fantasy races roles (you know, funny guy, sweet girl, bad girl, big softie, drunk loud dwarf and effeminate elf, etc.) and (my opinion) really bad combat, which wasn't slow and tactical enough to be called turn-based, yet was slugish enough to not feel actionish (basically, a bastard of two systems).

Now to Dragon Age II. I will right of the bat say that there ARE valid criticisms concerning this game: voice-acted protagonist kind of diminished the actual ROLE PLAY experience, lack of racial options, compared to it's predecessor, was jarring and combat (while IMO better that one in DAO) could be tedious because of sheer amount of waves of enemies.

That being said, I think otherwise it was overall better. I liked how it was more personal story. How many times can one save theworld before it becomes boring? In this game, however, we had a chance to experience the story of a refugee, who over the course of years managed to become important and well-known person in the city. We experienced a story which mostly focused on Hawke and their family, friends, hardships and problems. After many games where you tried to save the world, it was nice to see a lower scale adventure.

Another good thing about the game are party members. Well they ALL interesting? Far from it. But in this game Bioware at least tried to walk a bit away from tropes created by Tolkien. I mean, we had a beardless, cunning, charming dwarf-rogue, elves who are not tree hugers and/or archers, but magical berserker and practitioner of blood magic. Oh, and a female warrior who actually LOOKS like one. And I also liked personal inner struggle of Anders with the spirit of Justice. I mean yes, his decision at the end was stupid, but about that later. Yes, Isabella isn't all that great, moving on.

Also, I actually LIKED that you can't change their armour, because IMO when you can change armour of your characters on a whim it can sometimes go against their, well, character. Do you really think that Sten would wear golden armour, even if it had tons of buffs?

The combat of the game was great. Bioware finally dropped this mixed system in favour of something that actually worked. Though I could go for lesser number of waves/encounters.

Overall, I think it was a damn good game. Not great one, maybe, but damn good one. Yes, there are other problems, like repeated dungeons, ending, Anders' decision in the end to
blow up the church
and a few others, but thats because EA a)forced Bioware to complete the game in a year and b)forced Bioware to tie the plot of the game to the sequel.

Yep, it was a solid game alright.

So, do you people have games like that?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Funny that you lead with a Bioware game, because mine is Mass Effect 3. Yes, the ending wasn't great, but I don't care. I still reckon it's the best in the series, and not just because of the refined gameplay. I feel like they did the best they could with what Mass Effect 2 left them with (that's a major caveat of my defence of Mass Effect 3- most of the problems with it can be blamed on ME2), and they gave satisfactory resolutions to most of the major plot and character arcs. I liked a lot of the new characters as well: James and Javik were both great, and Cortez and Traynor were worthy additions to the crew.

The multiplayer was great, even if it's influence on the ending was unwelcome. The DLC was great; even the weakest one Omega gave us a well-written villain, cool set-pieces and nice little touches like the class-specific interrupt. Citadel was phenomenal, blowing previous contended Lair of the Shadow Broker out of the water. It's all the little ideas the DLC had that give me hope for Andromeda.

All Mass Effect 3 really needed was more time, a bucketload of extra polish for the third act and for someone to have actually planned out a conclusion in advance. Cast the blame wherever you like, but I was satisfied with the product as a whole, and for all the rough patches I still think it's my favourite of the trilogy.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Kingjackl said:
All Mass Effect 3 really needed was more time, a bucketload of extra polish for the third act and for someone to have actually planned out a conclusion in advance.
And not to tie ending to multiplayer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
This is a bit hard, because there's certainly games that I will defend, but distinguishing between consensus and vitriol is difficult at times. For instance, I've courted my share of controversy by claiming that SC2>SC1, but that seems mostly limited to the fanbase rather than something held as writ. But that said, I guess I can nominate the following:

-Diablo III (favorite Diablo game)
-Command and Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight (not a good game by any means, but I do cut it some slack due to the behind the scenes issues it was plagued with)
-Doom 3 (favorite Doom game)
-Resident Evil 5 (while it lost a lot of the RE 'essence', I do think it's still a good game when taken on its own terms, and certainly better than some other main series entries)
-Sonic Adventure 1/2 & Heroes (I'm sorry, but I've never got behind the idea that 3D Sonic games are inherently bad - I certainly liked these games more than Shadow, '06, and Unleashed for instance)
-Star Fox Adventures (seriously, THIS is somehow worse than Command?)
-Aliens: Colonial Marines (I'm quite happy for people to dislike this, but I actually quite enjoy this game)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
ZombiU. It's a zombie survival horror. In a time where zombies in games weren't much of a threat, zombies in ZombiU killed with one bite. The ambiance was creepy, looking at your inventory or interacting with objects didn't pause the game, the death mechanic reminiscent to Dark Souls (all your stuff is left where you died, and you may try to recover it), and the local multiplayer pretty fun (one player fights zombies in an arena, and the other spawns the with the touchpad). Even with its problems, I liked it a lot.

Jan 27, 2011
Hawki said:
-Star Fox Adventures (seriously, THIS is somehow worse than Command?)
Oh goody, someone speaks my language!

Adventures was a mediocre zelda clone, but Command was just a tremdously tedious and repetitive game with some poor balance in the characters and the most abysmal story in a star fox game EVER.

Seriously, the "canon" path that you're forced to take the first time through is just plain AWFUL. Terrible writing, terrible ending, just all around awful. x_x

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Batman: Arkham Origins (I honestly don't know why people look down on that game)

Mass Effect 3

Sonic Adventure 1/2 & Heroes

Shadow The Hedgehog (you read that right, I think that game is good, if abit repetitive in some areas.)

Star Fox Adventures

Super Mario Sunshine

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 1 and 2 (Yes, I like those games, and I like the show too.)

Hitman: Absolution

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Star Fox Zero. It mostly comes down to people bitching about motion controls cause they are boring people who are boring.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is another. Since it came out on Steam, it came up again. Waiting for a sale though, cause I never buy full price on Steam, but a lot of people didn't give it a shot back in the day, and that game is amazingly fun and awesome and I want a MUA3.

Technically Morrowind, when it comes to people who started with Oblivion or Skyrim and cannot get past the combat. I wish I could just sit with each one of those people and help them so they can see the rest of what made a great game so great.

Its only come up when I try to convince my friends to play it with me, but Viva Pinata (mainly the second cause it has online multiplayer). I was a nay sayer until I played it part of the Rare Replay...wow those games are amazing! I want a new one!

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'll actually defend DA2 too, yeah the environment were super recycle and the fight were repetitive. But the conversation system was far better than the usual "good, neutral, asshole" and I love the idea of following someone has they try to make there new life in a city over multiple years (my only problem is the time skip were to large, I'd have rather multiple smaller chapter). And the story were interesting stuff, love the qunari part (wish I could have supported them in the end). The mage vs templar was interesting too but badly handle (not has bad as DAI). I find it funny people complain about the lack the equipment for party member but are totally okay with the very diminish equipment list in DAI.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Dragon Age II
Mass Effect 3
Final Fantasy 8
Titanfall (although with it getting a sequel maybe I was just listening to the wrong people)

There are probably more, but those are what I can think of the top of my head.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I liked Dead Space 3.

The microtransaction issue was pretty much a non issue that got a crazy out of proportion response.
The weapon crafting system was fun. Could it make overpowered weapons? Yes. If that bothered you...you could always not use them since you crafted your own weapons.
Co-op. Playing with friends makes things more fun. And the co-op was really interesting. One player would be having visions while the other was sane and it made for some fantastic co-op interactions.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Misterian said:
Batman: Arkham Origins (I honestly don't know why people look down on that game)
For missing out on doing anything new or interesting, gameplay-wise, with "early day" Batman. Game plays like Arkham City 2.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Misterian said:
In addition to what you've already been told, the developers flat out said they were too busy working on DLC to work on the bugs.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
Deus Ex: Invisible War. I seem to be one of the very few who liked that game, though in my defense I was on drugs at the time. I'd messed up my foot pretty badly (spiked heels, wooden steps, and a sudden early-Fall ice storm makes for an unfortunate combo) and even with pain meds just the weight of a sheet on my foot was agonizing. Couldn't sleep, so I stayed up and played Invisible War pretty much from start to finish in one very long and semi drug addled sitting. Wasn't the best game I've ever played or anything, but it was a fun distraction when I needed one and I have fond memories of it. Never have really understood why it gets slagged so badly by most.

In contrast I never have been able to get into Human Revolution, in large measure because I just don't like Adam Jensen, who strikes me as more than a bit of a pseudo-hipster dink, much.

Rise of the Tomb Raider. While it was generally well received and reviewed, it gets slagged a lot on these forums for some odd reason. Possibly GG collateral damage, I dunno. Either way, I held off on playing it for a long time, in part because I mostly play co-op and multiplayer games with friends these days and in part because of all of the comparisons to the Uncharted series, which, while admittedly they have their good points, I found to be piss poor overall and got bored with about halfway through each one to the point where I had to force myself to finish the first two and never bothered finishing the third. Still, I was curious to see how Rhianna Pratchett's writing the character would go and I had it on multiple systems, so a few weeks back I played it through. Overall I really enjoyed it. There were some issues, granted. The oft mentioned, and rightly so, transition of Laura from "Oh my god, I just killed someone!" to cold blooded killer is rather quick, the supernatural elements could have been left out or at least better explained (if the Oni or undead soldiers got any real explanation, I missed it), and the secondary crew characters were straight out of central casting (granted, not sure how else you could handle it, given how little time they get). But overall it was a fun and well done game. While I can see why it gets compared to Uncharted, to me it was far superior both in story and, especially, gameplay.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Alpha protocol. That was one of the best 3rd person games of last gen. It's the only game i played back to back upon completion, so i can see what my other choices do ( as well as change my gameplay style). Definitely needs a sequel.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Final fantasy 8 for sure. I acknowledge its many faults, of course, but this game holds a special place in my heart, all the same, and I like that it attempted to shake up the formula of the franchise, even if all its experiments didn't pay off.

Bio shock infinite, too. I don't love it, but it was decent. Had a lot of hype when it came out, which lead to a bit of a Hatedom, and it's the hate group that only ever seems to bring it up in the present tense. O the point where if you only knew of the game based on what was said about it these days, you'd think it had been crafted by the devil himself

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Saelune said:
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is another. Since it came out on Steam, it came up again. Waiting for a sale though, cause I never buy full price on Steam, but a lot of people didn't give it a shot back in the day, and that game is amazingly fun and awesome and I want a MUA3.
Wait, I have been out of the loop probably. What are the reasons people criticize MAU for? I played it when it got released and to this day I think that it is a solid, fun button masher with tons of Marvel characters. Heck, you could create your own team, which was in itself cool (Team Storm, Luke Cage, Wolverine and Deadpool for the win). Heck, this is the game thanks to which I even know who Deadpool is and thanks to which he became one of my favourites (Yeah, yeah, Deadpool is too mainstream now, yadda yadda, shush now).

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Splatterhouse remake. A decent God of War 'em up with some problems and annoying load times, but I've played through it multiple times and found it legitimately fun and functional. Also, Jim Cumming's best performance ever, IMO.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Mister K said:
Saelune said:
Wait, I have been out of the loop probably. What are the reasons people criticize MAU for? I played it when it got released and to this day I think that it is a solid, fun button masher with tons of Marvel characters. Heck, you could create your own team, which was in itself cool (Team Storm, Luke Cage, Wolverine and Deadpool for the win). Heck, this is the game thanks to which I even know who Deadpool is and thanks to which he became one of my favourites (Yeah, yeah, Deadpool is too mainstream now, yadda yadda, shush now).
Well, it was a gen hopper on literally every console, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Wii, PSP...

And it visually is very dated for that. And its buggy. A lot of people just didn't even want to give it a shot though. I remember begging my friends in school to play it with me, since its 4 player, cause switching off in Gears of War isn't as fun. Whatever, my friend's dog probably loved me more than him after a point.