Not your average recommendation thread.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Mass Effect Series

Dragon Age: Origins

Fallout 3 (New Vegas to a lesser extent)

Minecraft

Just my opinions, make of this what you will.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Why do you care about the opinion of someone trying to hate everything to deliberately prove you wrong, because his opinion somehow matters more?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
This seems to be a case of "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink." It doesn't matter what game you show him, it could be the greatest thing since sliced bread and he would still look down on it.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I feel like Red Dead Redemption and Fallout New Vegas belong on that list. Redemption for it's open world, amazing physics, great plot, and absurdly well done multiplayer, not to mention the beautiful setting, New Vegas because of the plot, which is not only extremely well written, it's ABSURDLY interactive: Every group in it's sprawling landscape has a way they view you, and based on your actions in relation to them every group also has a final cut-scene solution for how they turned out: epic. As for last generation: Shadow of the Colossus, Killer7? I mean there are a ton last generation, and I really could keep going this generation I just thought up two more while I was sitting here (Minecraft, Amnesia).

Straight up: I've played a lot of great games this generation, your friend just sounds like a snob, however I do get super nostalgic about the SNES and PSX as well, but still games march on and for the MASSIVE SEA OF CRAP that is being pumped out there are always a handful of titles every year that do something worth seeing.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Have there been great and amazing games in the last two console generations? Of course, I can't see that there's much of an argument otherwise. Your friend is wearing his rose-tinted glasses, he's so in love with the games he played when he was a kid he can't accept that any current games are able to compete. People like this won't capitulate to reasoned, well-thought argument, they only see what they choose. I love games from my youth, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is my favorite game of all time. Can I accept that games in this generation are better objectively? Yes, but it doesn't matter because what I love in my games is subjective. Just let it drop, your friend won't budge.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I agree with the other people saying he sounds hipster-ish...

But I can't recommend ANY games, because I don't know what he likes in games. Even in the SNES there was a very diverse set of titles, there are definately amazing games in this gen and last gen, even if he doesn't like those games.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Veldt Falsetto said:
Right, me and my friend have been having long discussions about the current state of gaming. My friend believes that there isn't even one game in the last two console generations that can be called great or amazing. I disagree but he won't take my games into account because the only games I can name that I think are amazing are either Ps3 or DS exclusive.

What I'm asking is I want to know as many amazing and technically interesting or mindblowing story games as possible. My rules are they have to be first released on either the Xbox 360 or the PsP. Any genre is fine, please don't mention Catherine because that's not been released where I am yet.

So help me please?

EDIT: I'm tired of proving him wrong about last gen and him just saying, yeah those games are good but they don't beat any SNES game ever.

We've decided to both try and find a special 360 or PsP game and aside from Deadly Premonition he's brushed it all aside saying meh.

EDIT AGAIN:

Right so I've gotten a bit of feedback

Skyrim: Fuck no!
Lost Odyssey: Not really
Loco Roco: A little bit
Portal: Yes
Portal 2: No
Bioshock: A bit
Crackdown: No
Halo: Yes for narrative in shooters.

"Don't get me wrong, the only bad game there is CrapDown, they're all good and decent, but "amazing?" hardly. Fun? Possibly very depending on your stance but not amazing."
tales of symphonia. it has that old school rpg feeling with the tales flare and a new school feeling with the 3D battles and enviroments. oh and if he keeps saying stuff on the snes was better just smack him and tell him to go replay them....hell find his memeries arnt what he thinks they are.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
4RM3D said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
mireko said:
Tales of Vesperia - It's your avatar. This should be an obvious suggestion.
He doesn't like Tales games at all, he's more of a Star Ocean fan which is fair enough
Tales of Vesperia is this generation's Final Fantasy VII (no, it ain't as good, but there is nothing better this gen).

And regardless of whether you are a Star Ocean fan or Tales fan. Star Ocean The Last Hope was mediocre at best. The PS2 one (Till the End of Time) was much better.

Also, I really like Resonance of Fate; an underdog RPG on the Xbox360 and PS3.
If his friend already says not really to lost odyssey I do not think Tales of vesperia (much much better the star ocean The last hope) and Resonance will get the friend to say they are really good.

Specially since resonance of fate is a bit different then most jRPG's out there. Also i wonder how many games he dismisses he really played.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
If your friend held SNES games up to the same standards he is holding modern games up to, he would think the SNES is shit and would be promoting the NES.

You can't argue with someone else's nostalgia. SNES is my favorite system of all time but it isn't hard to see that the quality of games was severely limited by hardware capabilities of the time. What we have here is someone who got the most enjoyment out of gaming in his younger years. Every retro gamer I know has a current gen system and spends more time on it than on their older gen systems. I am referring to real retro gamers there too. Not just some people who play older games but people who claim retro gaming is 'where it's at'. As well, gaming is entertaining a much broader audience than the SNES could ever have hoped to.

Being a huge SNES fan myself and knowing a few retro gamers, I can't think of any game but maybe Super Mario World as "great" compared to recent generations. Most SNES games didn't age well.

As well, he isn't really explaining himself. What he is doing is actually a punchline in a comedy about mentally challenged people.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
He's being a nostalgia-blinded idiot. If he's incapable of seeing your point of view, then I don't know why you're still friends. Still, if you really have to try and convince him, even though he's just going to keep pushing back no matter what, why don't you tell him to change the argument from "360 and PSP" to "entire sixth and seventh generations", like he said it was for in the first place?

From there, you should have plenty of games to knock his block out from under him. Since I never owned a sixth-gen console, though, I'll refrain from making any suggestions.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
D Moness said:
If his friend already says not really to lost odyssey I do not think Tales of vesperia (much much better the star ocean The last hope) and Resonance will get the friend to say they are really good.

Specially since resonance of fate is a bit different then most jRPG's out there. Also i wonder how many games he dismisses he really played.
I don't really expect any game to get his attention. But Resonance of Fate is often overlooked. And, as you have said, is quite different from the usual JRPGs. So, Resonance of Fate might actually still hold a glimmer of hope.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
After reading through this thread, it's obvious your friend is just plain dumb, doesn't know anything bout video games, and if he's so quick to brush aside every thing you say then he clearly can't admit he's wrong and you're wasting your time trying to make him see truth.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
I've never been amazed by a video game, but then, I'm pretty difficult to amaze. Closest you can get out of me is "Oh, that's pretty cool."

That said, you're barking up the wrong tree here; "amazing" is only as amazing as the last person to say so. No matter what's suggested, if you don't like it, it's not amazing. You're a lot better off doing your own research and drawing your own conclusions than relying on bias.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Issurru said:
Your friend is an odd one. Thinking that nothing beats a SNES game, since there were some pretty shitty SNES games. But I digress. I personally recommend the Suikoden series (at least 1-3, as I didnt think the others were as good as the first three albeit technically only Suikoden 3 fits your timeline)

I would also recommend Morrowind more so than either Oblivion or Skyrim (not sure if he would care about the plethora of mods for it)

I doubt he would like the .Hack or .Hack GU games but i'll throw them out there anyways since I found them to be amazing after playing all 7 of them back to back.

Arc the Lad, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. Also motherfucking Dark Cloud 1 & 2. Grandia 2 and the Disgaea series (Yeah he'll probably hate Disgaea but he seems like an elitist/troll so oh well :p)
Just updated to be better

Also he loves Suikoden, enjoyed Oblivion, had fun with .Hack but we didn't get GU over here...(cause I have all 4 released in this country). Not played Arc the Lad (I've also never heard of it), Enjoys Baldur's Gate, liked Dark Cloud (one of my favourites), dunno about Grandia but actually he really likes Disgaea.