Notch Pondering Achievements for Minecraft

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Achievements have their set place in games these days, which I don't mind them myself really, and thankfully they can be ignored in the best ones out there. I, myself, have been hoping for a boss monster to be put in. Simple enough to just make it a bit more rare than the slimes as they are now (a mythical creature if you ask me, as I haven't seen one yet).
It would give the work to assembling a diamond armor and sword more worthwhile as I find an iron armor and sword set works well enough against the mobs as they are.
Irridium said:
Eh, whatever floats his boat. His game and all.

I just hope there aren't any of those damn grind-heavy achievements. Like "Mine 1000 stone" and crap like that.
1000 Stone? Hah! I do that much on a lunch break.
TerranReaper said:
Inb4 needless citations from Extra Credits. Because I know it will happen.

Anyways, Notch can put in the most useless achievements, such as kill x spiders or swim for x amount of seconds or whatever. You can just ignore if you don't care about them, and frankly, I don't care that much myself. Although I wish Notch would stop going at a snail's pace with updates and bug fixes.
Keep in mind that Mojang is about 5 people working on an additional game concept in addition to getting Minecraft to official release. It really isn't a fair comparison to devs like Treyarch or Bethesda. As things are now, Minecraft is a solid build which could be "released" as it is, and people would find it much better over the buggy messes that bigger devs rush out their doors in longer times.
josemlopes said:
I think that they are becoming a bit sloppy. I watched the documentary about them at Gametrailers and I didnt liked the fact that they only put stuff the they think up. I thought that Minecraft was supposed to be around the endless possibylities of the game and now they are limiting the content because of some ideology.
Be aware that the documentary as it has been shown so far isn't even complete. 2PP wants to make it feature length which will allow a lot more behind the scenes to be visible. If you want to see more of Mojang, go to 2PP's site and donate to allow them back for more footage.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
achievements would require Mojang to run its own servers to prevent cheating.
So wait...
We would have to play online to get the achivements? Really?

Uggghhhh...........

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I don't like achievements, I think they would work in Minecraft. At least then I would be motivated to play the game properly.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
taking a page from his competition i see? *cough cough* FORTRESSCRAFT *cough cough*
looks like people shouldn't be pissed about that game since it forced Notch and Mojang to step up their game

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
TheGhostOfSin said:
TerranReaper said:

Anyways, Notch can put in the most useless achievements, such as kill x spiders or swim for x amount of seconds or whatever. You can just ignore if you don't care about them, and frankly, I don't care that much myself. Although I wish Notch would stop going at a snail's pace with updates and bug fixes.
Yup, Multiple updates a month since May 09. Snails pace indeed...
And how many of those changes are just changes to variables to pre-existing code or reimplementation of content that was removed beforehand? Wool technically was in the WAY before the Alpha version of the game, not to mention, his recent update essentially takes pre-existing mods such as the lighting and UI and adds them to the patch. I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, but it just says something about how slow he is actually doing.

samsonguy920 said:
TerranReaper said:

Keep in mind that Mojang is about 5 people working on an additional game concept in addition to getting Minecraft to official release. It really isn't a fair comparison to devs like Treyarch or Bethesda. As things are now, Minecraft is a solid build which could be "released" as it is, and people would find it much better over the buggy messes that bigger devs rush out their doors in longer times.
If Minecraft was to be considered "finished" now, I would just lose faith in devs entirely considering Minecraft is far from being finished. The multiplayer right now is very buggy and the net coding is insanely unoptimized, you need mods to get some sort of stability, which shouldn't be the case. The content that has been released has been lackluster, even for the amount of people working on the game, for the last few months, the update can be simplified down to just being a few blocks that are mainly for looks and a new mob. Perhaps "Snail's pace" is an exaggeration, but even then, Notch has been fairly slow. Content-wise, Minecraft hasn't gone very far in the course of a few months.

Anyways, I'm hoping that FortressCraft does succeed when it's released so it can force Notch and Mojang to start throwing out more content. It's not like I hate Minecraft or anything, it's just I think it can be in a better position than it is right now.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
I would love it if they did host their own servers, I really want to play multiplayer, but don't know where to start. I want to play in the client, not as web browser. I tried joining the escapist one, but it didn't work.

Shade184

Nov 11, 2009
No, no. No achievements. I'll just feel pressured into doing them and that would suck.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Irridium said:

I just hope there aren't any of those damn grind-heavy achievements. Like "Mine 1000 stone" and crap like that.
1k stone is a 10x10x10 cube. Odds are you mined that on your first day. 1k diamond/gold/blue dye might be a lot but stone?

Apr 28, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Irridium said:

1k stone is a 10x10x10 cube. Odds are you mined that on your first day. 1k diamond/gold/blue dye might be a lot but stone?
I know, I didn't mean that one specifically, just achievements like it.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I see no issue with this. I like achievements, people claim they are bad because they would force you to do something you otherwise would not do. You really can't make that argument with Minecraft, at least right now you can't. It's a sandbox game, you do what you want. The achievements if anything would give you something to do between building a giant ass structure.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
I think we're getting to the point where Minecraft definitely has a lot of potential, but I'd like to start seeing some of these larger features actually implemented. Patience.
Don't you know? Valve time is expanding!

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
redisforever said:
I like it, please Notch, but give use rewards for it.
I wouldn't do that because that could make more people feel forced into earning achievements. My proposal is to earn absolutely nothing from doing achievements except for like a check beside the achievement or something. :3

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, let's not worry about putting in fixes for bugs and errors and compatibility issues, or doing work on promised features and content. Let's not figure out why the game magically breaks for something like 35% of the people that play it.

No, let's put in an achievement system. That's exactly what we need.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Really, you ran out of all good ideas and now we are down to this?!
How about quick time events and button mashing fight scenes also?

Honestly of all the things you could do with this game you resort to meritocracy so early on...

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
bad idea, with a game like minecraft it would be EXTREMELY hard to make challenging achievements
the only one I could think of is building a giant "golden cock ,n balls" or building a golden/pimp armor set

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
Come on, who cares if people cheat to get achievements? Make all the servers owned by Notch is a bad idea.