Notch Posts Test Video of Mojang's New Game

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TheKasp said:
theultimateend said:
Says the guy who can't take a joke and flips out like a total psycho.
I did 'flip out'? I am more or less confused.

Why can't you take the most obvious critique of your 'favorite game'? I know that I can rip every one of my beloved games a new one, I don't need to qoute every person who says something negative with a pseudointellectual "You must be talking about anther game because I liked that one" because newsflash - there is no perfect game.

And in terms of perfect game: MC is far from being perfect and there are thousand of valid points of criticism towards it, many of those are promises Notch made and did never hold up to them.

May I quote a thread topic that spits up on a google search:

"Which of Notch's promised features do you want Jeb to do?"

And please, don't hide your unreasonable defensive attitude behind nonexistant jokes.
Well to clear up some confusions.

My favorite game is actually Breath of Fire 3, shortly after that would be Pokemon, and after that is Sim City. But I appreciate the guesswork.

Minecraft was "finished" at multiple stages. The decision to continually add to it beyond the creative system was entirely optional. No game is ever truly "finished", the moment they started adding more it became an open system without any closure outside of subjectively just saying "It's done now."

Yep, I'm aware that Jeb is a cool dude. I follow him on Twitter. Humorously I don't follow notch, but that's more an oversight, just never remember to do so.

There are a thousand points of criticism for every game ever made, and most of them are valid.

Yoshi's Island is a daunting monolith of beauty that melts my heart every time I play it, I could still mount many criticisms against it. Yet it still ranks as the pinnacle of popular gaming to me.

YET you'll also notice its not listed as one of my top three favorite games.

ANYWHO, I thought humorously pointing out that everything could be said about anything from your points would work. That didn't work so hopefully a more direct approach will.

I'm not invested in MC, as mentioned I spent less than my ToGo's bill for today on it, it got me hundreds of hours of entertainment, money off the youtubes, and a great introductory tool for bringing family into video games. Is it perfect? No.

Is anything, even the electron, perfect? No.

So after that its just a matter of examining it relative to its partners and in that respect Minecraft is a remarkably modular experience and that modularity is where it gets its power and popularity.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Mr.Squishy said:
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?

I'm pretty sure this is an early release,

I'm not that much of a fan of minecraft and I have to say, I don't think I'm going to buy this, either. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, and it looks like arse.

Also how the hell do you pronounce the name?

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Mr.Squishy said:
It..looks like half-life by way of Doom. And the gameplay honestly looks kind of shit. Is notch out of his skull? Or does he expect that his rabid fan army will gobble up game in which they can count the pixels?
It is at least worth noting that he has only been working on this game for a short while. This is pre-alpha footage and his sharing it with us is more about transparency and excitement for what he has made than it is about showing us something playable.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
I pronounce it 'Oxtasy' to rhyme with 'Ecstasy'

I'm willing to wait and see about its quality - let's face it, a pre-release video of Minecraft wouldn't have anyone champing at the bit to buy it either!

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Flatfrog said:
ResonanceSD said:
I pronounce it 'Oxtasy' to rhyme with 'Ecstasy'
See I just can't stand pretentiousness in gaming. The fact that the central gimmick of the game has you interacting with a 16 bit computer is yet another layer of faff that isn't necessary. This isn't about making a game, it's about notch showing off.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Those light effects should be on Minecraft. Other then that it looks ok, the scenario and characters do need a shitload of work though

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Sooo... can anyone explain what exactly the 16 bit thing allows you to do? Preferably using small words :3

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
It looks like old style Quake, but what this game will need is incredibly wacky and fun weapons/tools. I believe a pickaxe and brick gun are needed.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
bliebblob said:
Sooo... can anyone explain what exactly the 16 bit thing allows you to do? Preferably using small words :3

I think it's there to replace a menu. Because you know, people showing off is better than people making good games.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Well...

Basically.... I think this video shouldn't have been made. The graphics is all it's showing, and they're all sorts of awful. And a generic gun of some kind....
I hope all Notch wanted to show us was that the game engine is actually running, and nothing else.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
See I just can't stand pretentiousness in gaming. The fact that the central gimmick of the game has you interacting with a 16 bit computer is yet another layer of faff that isn't necessary. This isn't about making a game, it's about notch showing off.
I agree with this. This project is in danger of disappearing up its own back-side pretty rapidly and the current plan includes a monthly subscription for multi-player. Mmmmhmm....

The 16-bit CPU in the game is a fully emulated processor which has to be programmed with assembly language. I'll just type that again - assembly language. The last time I used this was, oh, around 1984/85 when writing ZX Spectrum games. It's about as close as you can get to actual CPU instructions without coding in binary itself.

In theory you could download and use code written by the community but surely that defeats the point of this compiler emulator game.

The coding geek in me doffs my hat at the sheer.. madness.. of it and it will have a dedicated following when it comes out. I think I will be able to count that community on the number of beer cans in my fridge which ranges at any given time between 0 and 24. Unless, of course, the beer is actually in an unresolved quantum state and only opening the fridge and observing the beer collapses the wave function and forces the cans into a defined state of reality.

Schrodinger's beer.

If that's how you view beer, you'll love Notch's game :)

(Guide to assembly language in Notch's game here - http://0x10cwiki.com/wiki/Assembly_beginner%27s_guide )

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I have no idea how to pronounce the game's name, what the hell I was watching, or why it was relevent.

I'm much more interested in hearing wtf ever happened to Scrolls. Its like aside from the big publicity the law suit gave it, its never been seen again.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I have no idea how to pronounce the game's name, what the hell I was watching, or why it was relevent.

I'm much more interested in hearing wtf ever happened to Scrolls. Its like aside from the big publicity the law suit gave it, its never been seen again.
Follow the mojang devs making it on twitter. its in a working state and there is alpha and beta testing+matches going on.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
I still don't understand the name....

Zero multiplied by ten to the power of the speed of light is still zero.
As such, i will continue to call this game "Zero" (also cos it's easier).

DuskServent

Jul 22, 2010
I get a space station 13 feel from the game, what with the generator managing and 16-bit CPU interaction.

IronSuplex

Apr 13, 2012
Huh, looks interesting. Even in its unfinished concept stage I think it has good atmosphere and looks. Wonder how the gameplay is going to look later on.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Well... this is thoroughly underwhelming. Maybe it'll turn out a lot better but my expectations are pretty low on this.