Notch Steps Down as Lead Developer on Minecraft

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I'm glad for him. Minecraft must have become a freaking prison for that guy, If I were him I would have thrown in the towel a lot sooner; working on one project for a month can be a draining experience, nevermind 3 years.

Hopefully after his break he can make some good progress with a different project and start enjoying his hobby again :3

And to anyone complaining about him, fuck you. It's people like you that turn game development into an utter chore.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
wooty said:
Sooo hes grabbed the fame and money and run? He'll be back once hes spent it.
He's probably spent most of it donating to charities and other developers already~

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I'm very interested to see where Jens takes this. I was rather impressed with the bug-killing he was doing up to the release, and he seems to be continuing to beat bugs down even now (so very needed). Also, he's apparently finally got wool regrowth working, so that lone naked sheep hanging around outside my fortress that I keep passing and wondering if I should kill it will finally have a purpose! (Also no more sheep pen mass slaughters needed. This breed-then-murder thing I've been doing can't be good for the kids. One of them is going to turn into Batlamb and hunt me down or something.)

I just hope Notch can let his baby go and his occasional "helping out" isn't actually "interfering". I've had managers like that: 'Yes, sir, I know you took a computer course "a few years ago", but I'm sure this Core i7 computer is NOT having problems with the AGP slot.':/

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Michael Logan said:
About time! The whole yogscast debacle made me loose all faith in the man.
WTF??? Yoggcast got a partially expense trip to Minecon courtesy of Mojang, then ***** and complained about how the MINEcon livecast rights were sold to IGN, and they wanted some of the profit because they were part of a panel. Then they did the one thing they were asked not to do, use profanity while up on the stage.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
Baldr said:
Michael Logan said:
About time! The whole yogscast debacle made me loose all faith in the man.
WTF??? Yoggcast got all expense trip to Minecon courtesy of Mojang, then ***** and complained about how the MINEcon livecast rights were sold to IGN, and they wanted some of the profit because they were part of a panel. Then they did the one thing they were asked not to do, use profanity while up on the stage.
Do some research please... Not much in your post was true. However this isnt what this thread was about so lets drop it.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Ummm, you don't go out much, do you?
Funny, I can see blue right from my PC.

Clearly, you photoshopped yours.
PLEASE BE SARCASM! -.-

OT: Right after a brain melt down...

This may mean Scrolls will be released soon ^^ interested to see what that will be >.>

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Ummm, you don't go out much, do you?
Funny, I can see blue right from my PC.

Clearly, you photoshopped yours.

Making spurious accusations? Against me? Watch your language, young man.

(It was obviously Notch who was responsible.)

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
JesterRaiin said:
Notch started this project. Damn, he started whole genre, broke unbreakable rules and kudos for that. :)
Exactly what genre is that? Just curious about your opinion as to what ground he broke.
Can't really find proper name for it. Sandbox stacking games ? Unshackled brick layering ? :)

I can't remember any game of this kind before Minecraft. Sure, there were attempts with LEGO, but...
Infinimer maybe? The game Notch admits he stole the idea for minecraft from?

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Deef said:
JesterRaiin said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
JesterRaiin said:
Notch started this project. Damn, he started whole genre, broke unbreakable rules and kudos for that. :)
Exactly what genre is that? Just curious about your opinion as to what ground he broke.
Can't really find proper name for it. Sandbox stacking games ? Unshackled brick layering ? :)

I can't remember any game of this kind before Minecraft. Sure, there were attempts with LEGO, but...
Maybe. People find their inspiration in most unusual places.
However, you're saying that Notch wrote somewhere in the Internet "guys, i stole dat shit"...? I'm eager to see that. Link, link ? :)

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
Mojang, delivering questionable business strategies since inception...

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
Personally, I am disappointed in Notch. He's got tons of fans, he has yet to really do anything major for the team he's been working with (or the team working for him, ether way) thus the holidays he's taken off is more then I could remember. To me, this is ditching everyone behind to take it easy with the load of money he's gained off the brand. I'm pretty sure no one can say otherwise (seriously, I cannot believe this. Notch didn't even post very much about leaving or why. Just goes to show..)

Still, nothing will lack from Minecraft. Same game as before, just Notch is out of the picture.
..... Except provide them with jobs and a project?

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Caramel Frappe said:
mikeybuthge said:
..... Except provide them with jobs and a project?
You do make a good point, don't get me wrong but that doesn't excuse his position overall in the project of Minecraft. A boss as Walmart can give employees their jobs along with the idea of the store (let's say he made Walmart to begin with). However, laid back and taking vacation time all the time while putting other people in a bad name for the 'fans' to attack doesn't gain my respects. I won't hate the guy or put him down for any reason (since I don't bring myself to judge) but will call out their actions.

Another good example is that he's leaving Minecraft. Notch could of done something great before he left, like placing a lot of effort into something for us to thank him for as a reminder of leaving his position but instead he just... goes. Without much to say ether. That's why I am disappointed.. a great man didn't put much effort spite his accomplishments. But anyhow I am grateful he made Minecraft become a reality and chose the right people. Still, doesn't give him the right to take it easy you know?
I dunno, I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but he did do the initial work for Minecraft, and working on the same project for 3 years, regardless of vacations would be brutal, no matter how much you love your job. Your whole job, could be to live every protagonist's roles from your favorite games (personal dream), but after 3 years, just one day without a goddam zombie/alien/human attack would be very welcome. And I'm sure he's slowly transferred/transferring everything, so there's potential for a goodbye in the game

Deef

Mar 11, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
Deef said:
JesterRaiin said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
JesterRaiin said:

However, you're saying that Notch wrote somewhere in the Internet "guys, i stole dat shit"...? I'm eager to see that. Link, link ? :)
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/227922045/the-origins-of-minecraft

And from the description of one of his earliest youtube videos of minecraft (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k) :
Notch said:
This is a very early test of an Infiniminer clone I'm working on. It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it.
He may have popularized the genre, but he sure as hell didn't create it.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Deef said:
JesterRaiin said:
Deef said:
JesterRaiin said:
Zachery Gaskins said:
JesterRaiin said:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/227922045/the-origins-of-minecraft

And from the description of one of his earliest youtube videos of minecraft (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k) :
Notch said:
This is a very early test of an Infiniminer clone I'm working on. It will have more resource management and materials, if I ever get around to finishing it.
He may have popularized the genre, but he sure as hell didn't create it.
Nice, thx.
Now for the "stolen" part. My broken english isn't enough to find it all by myself. Could you highlight it for me ?