NPCs Should Fear You

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
So in anticipation of Dawnguard I've been mucking about with Skyrim, and I think I may have pinned down what (for me anyway) is the most immersion breaking thing about the game. And it's really simple:

Non player characters need a capacity to feel fear. Or at the very least a capacity to *learn* to be afraid.

In an effort to prove this, lemme ask you a quick question. How many times over the course of your time playing games have you faced the following scenario:

You're high level. You have all your favorite gear equipped. You've just finished piling up corpses around you four layers deep. There is so much blood the air tastes of copper. And you haven't even broken sweat yet. And as you stand triumphant over the bodies of your foes- you catch something out of the corner of your eye. Why, it's Bumfuck McMook! The last bandit/goblin/insurgent/terrorist/whocares standing. He has just finished watching you effortlessly slaughter everyone he's ever met. And what's this? He's charging at you headlong with a sword in hand. Why Bumfuck you brave, brave soul you.

You get my point here right? Unless I'm facing down mindless automatons or the criminally insane, my enemies should demonstrate that they value their own lives. I'm aware that they're just collections of 1's and 0's, but as long as you're calling them "bandits", they should behave as such.

If I get jumped by some thugs on the highway and I kill 3/4s of them in under 7 seconds by myself, then my guess is that the survivors first priority would be pissing themselves. Not charging headlong into certain death.

There are other more subtle examples of NPC fearlessness that mess with my immersion ("So you what, fetch the mead?") but the above is one of the most glaring examples, and it's one of the easier ones to fix mechanically.

Thoughts?

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
One of the only games I remember with a fear system of any kind was in The Thing, and that was your squad-mates. If you didn't keep their fear in check they could quite easily run away, and if pushed too far commit suicide.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Sacred 1 (and possibly 2, never got that far) had a fear mechanic of some sort, where enemies way below your level would just ignore you in the hope that you ignore them, too. Champions Online did that, too. These are the only examples at the top of my head.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
One problem with it is that if you're OCD like me and want to kill 'em all, you have to go chasing them down. I think it's just more satisfying to kill every last one of those suckers even if it is unrealistic.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I think FarCry 2 had something like this. Or at least, it said it did. The more quests you did the more renown you got, and higher renown made people recognise you once you got into the fray.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Dragon's Dogma has enemies sort of like Bethesda's in that they never seem to take a hint and avoid you, but a number of them will run away from you after taking heavy damage. If you want the kill, you have to chase them and finish the job. It's a nice touch.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
TES games traditionally have very poor AI and most of what you can call fear mechanics are strictly reserved for certain NPCs and effects from spells and special scripts. For example commoners and herbivores will almost always run away from you in Skyrim while bandits almost always attack. Sometimes enemies will try to escape once badly damaged but that's about it. I'm currently playing a nord so if I want enemies to run in fear from my prowess I use my racial power.

I love watching enemies run in fear screaming, "WE'RE ROUTED!" Thanks, I got that.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Yeah I am in full Daedric armor with 2 Daedric swords that are dripping blood and fire and Braith isn't scared at me. Seriously it is like the kids in Bethesda games know they are immortal so the be as annoying as possible. I really hate Braith and that one child of the Jarl. I would love to go throughout the land and murder every one of those little bitches. Which is why pc has mods :). You are right I have slaughtered your friends effortlessly and am not hurt in the slightest and you think you can take me. If that was me I would be running away in very wet pants.

the abyss gazes also

Professional Over Thinker
Apr 10, 2012
Yeah the AI doesn't seem to comprehend death. As a stealthy character i back stab a pile of bodies and someone walks up and says, "I'll find whoever did this." When he should be saying, "Nuts to this. I'm out of here."

I'm sure a fear mechanic is possible in Skyrim, but i'm not sure how it would work since baddies can't seem to even get through doors sometimes.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I think NPCs should auto-fear me. In vegas i killed any NPCs i didn't like and ate them.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
maybe the enemies have more heart then brain.
Biodeamon said:
I think NPCs should auto-fear me. In vegas i killed any NPCs i didn't like and ate them.
that actually made me laugh

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
henritje said:
Biodeamon said:
unlocking the Dine and Dash perk didn't help my addiction

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
wow use to have a fear mechanic. mobs would run off on low hp and go get their mates... dunno if thats still in or not? dont play anymore :)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Biodeamon said:
henritje said:
Biodeamon said:
unlocking the Dine and Dash perk didn't help my addiction
but at least you can eat tasty human on the go.
hmmm human

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The newer Assassin's Creed games did this.

Often the last enemy in a group would cower in fear or drop his weapon and run.

Same for Arkham City.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
that's the only thing that annoys me in Pokemon. The Anagonist is always a masssive dick even when you stomped him stupid for the 35th time.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
at some point this really should come into play, especially when you're widely known as a mass murder machine (even if you're just murdering bandits)

eventually the city guards should be hesitant to try to arrest you, knowing full well you could start a massacre at any moment if provoked