NPC's unaware of what you are doing

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
I recently got Elder Scrolls iv: Oblivion; a great RPG fantasy; for those that played it bare with me. So, there is this evil murdering cult-thing called the dark brotherhood; now since I joined it they want me to kill for money. I don't want to, so I killed all the members except the vampire dude, and still won't kick me out.
Seriously, when have you done somthing in a game that would cause quite a stir in real life, and it didn't

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas, Van Graffs store.

Used a stealth boy to steal everything off the shelves and showcase counter. The owner was standing behind the counter and didn't react when three dozen guns vanished under her nose.

Bambi On Toast

Sep 9, 2011
I kind of like the fact that non-essential NPCs can be permanently killed.

On my very first play through Oblivion, I foolishly thought it would be a good idea to kill the shopkeeper at Rindir's Staffs in the Imperial City. I did not know much about the game, so I assumed that he would either spring back to life or perhaps I would be prevented from killing him at all. After I killed Rindir, I just carried on with my epic adventure.

Later on in my adventure, I became more curious about staffs. I had completed a lot of quests, explored a lot of locations and collected a lot of items. I had been playing as a warrior the whole time so, naturally, I began wondering about magic and staffs etc.

I was looking around the magic shops in the Imperial City, and I came across Rindir's Staffs again. It had been so many game hours and perhaps weeks of real time since my last visit. Of course, I completely forgot about my previous visit where I had killed the owner of the shop. So I walk in and find his corpse just lying there, exactly where I left it. After some internet research I learned that this was the only staff shop in the game (excluding Mages' Guild). There was a unique and powerful staff sold there, but I can't remember the name (Apotheosis I think).

So now, because of my actions, I could never acquire this staff! It made me think long and hard about what I had done. I think a game which makes you feel sincere regret for killing someone is a pretty impressive game. Although, my only regret was that I hadn't first obtained the staff and THEN killed him. The staff isn't even that good, but I was still shocked that I couldn't get it. At this point I was building a collection of items in my house. I'm glad Bethesda didn't make NPCs like this essential, or create replacement NPCs. It made the world seem more believable knowing that my actions at the beginning of the game could have consequences.

Oh was that offtopic? It's sort of related!

OT: It's pretty dumb when you use the old "Frenzy 100ft" spell in a crowded town centre. There is complete mayhem as civilians, mages, guards, thieves, dogs and beggars start brawling. You usually end up with a pile of corpses although you gain no bounty, and everybody ignores you. Apparently nobody saw you cast the spell which caused the deaths of all those people.... even though you used it in an NPCs face.

Matt9102

Aug 14, 2011
In Fallout 3, I murdered almost all of megaton with the fat man. I was gone for a few days and it was all better. Mini Nukes didn't respawn

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
In Borderlands when you run around stealing all the guns of one of the last safe havens you'd think someone would care.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
First thing I thought when I saw the title was Fallout. For all the times when I've picked up shop owners' things and dangled them in front of their faces, only to take them round the corner and steal them moments later. I only do it because when I mouse over locked containers they accuse me of being a thief. So be it.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
This also happens in JRPGs...

Hey! Tidus stay out of that man's luggage- Never mind...

Matt9102

Aug 14, 2011
Kekkles said:
This also happens in JRPGs...

Hey! Tidus stay out of that man's luggage- Never mind...
This is probably the best example of NPC unawareness. But Dead Island has pretty good NPC awareness, you stole something in the starter hotel and a bunch of people are trying to claw/punch/spit on/ maul you to death.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
jamesbrown said:
I recently got Elder Scrolls iv: Oblivion; a great RPG fantasy; for those that played it bare with me. So, there is this evil murdering cult-thing called the dark brotherhood; now since I joined it they want me to kill for money. I don't want to, so I killed all the members except the vampire dude, and still won't kick me out.
Seriously, when have you done somthing in a game that would cause quite a stir in real life, and it didn't

Later in the questline you murder them all anyway,and you then gain immunity from the rules of the guild.

Odinsson

Jun 11, 2011
I like the fact that in Oblivion you can be head of all four guilds at the same time and no-one notices

Matt9102

Aug 14, 2011
Odinsson said:
I like the fact that in Oblivion you can be head of all four guilds at the same time and no-one notices
I know. Except sometimes it is hard, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild contradict.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Stealing people's precious possessions contained in golden and ornate chests in their houses in a bunch of RPGs.
"Uh, yeah, I'll just be...borrowing...this now. Farewell!"

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Every RPG ever: walk into random people's houses without justification and take all their stuff while they stand there watching you do it.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Blore said:
My problem in Fable III is that EVERY npc knows what i'm doing. It scares me.
I know what you mean. As soon as you open the front door of a house, it's like every NPC in the town is compelled to suddenly walk into the building :|

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
In Fallout: New Vegas, I find it funny when you can stand on the outskirts of a town, shoot half of the citizens, walk into that town, and no one notices anything. (excluding towns with armed personel.)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
jamesbrown said:
Would you prefer the alternative?
I think that I prefer my NPCs to be oblivious.
OP: I get bored in Oblivion sometimes and kill countless guards to train my Blade and Armor. No one seems to care after I leave for a few hours and then come back.