NPC's unaware of what you are doing

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
One of my favorites is when I was playing The Witcher. I walk into the house of a store owner, and take literally everything I could possibly take from him. Food, coin, his wife's wedding ring, everything. Then I turn around and sell it all right back to him without him having a care in the world about it.

That or Fallout 3, where I robbed the entire town in the east(totally just forgot its name, it's the one on the ship) blind just because I could.

On a side note, Bethesda games seem to be really bad about this. They either know nothing(every regular NPC) or know everything(guards).

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Bambi On Toast said:
On my very first play through Oblivion, I foolishly thought it would be a good idea to kill the shopkeeper at Rindir's Staffs in the Imperial City. I did not know much about the game, so I assumed that he would either spring back to life or perhaps I would be prevented from killing him at all. After I killed Rindir, I just carried on with my epic adventure.

Later on in my adventure, I became more curious about staffs. I had completed a lot of quests, explored a lot of locations and collected a lot of items. I had been playing as a warrior the whole time so, naturally, I began wondering about magic and staffs etc.

I was looking around the magic shops in the Imperial City, and I came across Rindir's Staffs again. It had been so many game hours and perhaps weeks of real time since my last visit. Of course, I completely forgot about my previous visit where I had killed the owner of the shop. So I walk in and find his corpse just lying there, exactly where I left it. After some internet research I learned that this was the only staff shop in the game (excluding Mages' Guild). There was a unique and powerful staff sold there, but I can't remember the name (Apotheosis I think).

So now, because of my actions, I could never acquire this staff! It made me think long and hard about what I had done. I think a game which makes you feel sincere regret for killing someone is a pretty impressive game. Although, my only regret was that I hadn't first obtained the staff and THEN killed him. The staff isn't even that good, but I was still shocked that I couldn't get it. At this point I was building a collection of items in my house. I'm glad Bethesda didn't make NPCs like this essential, or create replacement NPCs. It made the world seem more believable knowing that my actions at the beginning of the game could have consequences.
I honestly wish they had kept the Morrowind system of "essential" characters. If you killed one that you needed later in the game for story purposes, it simply popped up a box telling you that they were important to the main story. You were given the option to reload, or simply keep going. You could continue in your world knowing the main story was screwed, but it gave your actions actual meaning, you could play where you killed all these people and could decimate entire towns leaving nothing living left. Not like Oblivion or Fallout 3 where you can kill everyone in a room, except that one guy, cause he's used in a side quest that you have no intention of doing. The doctor in Rivet City and the guy in the Chorral Mages guild are 2 examples.

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
jamesbrown said:
So, there is this evil murdering cult-thing called the dark brotherhood; now since I joined it they want me to kill for money. I don't want to, so I killed all the members except the vampire dude, and still won't kick me out.
Just out of curiosity ... why did you join a brotherhood of assassins if you're against killing the NPCs?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Splinter Cell is the worst for this.

It is not possible to be that close to a conscious, alert person and not get noticed by them. I don't care how dark my suit says it is, it looks stupid when a my face is literally about 2 feet from a guard's penis and he doesn't hear the breathing or see the outline or notice the triangle of bright green lights.

Stupid guards...

Stew Coard

Aug 14, 2011
'geez, all I did was like kill someone, I mean it's not like it's murder or something' not attacking you personally, just thought it was a bit of a stupid statement considering that I got the same treatment because I accidentally picked up a guild owned minor health potion, and the quest was impossible

sorry this is in response too that complaint about getting banned from the mages guild because he killed something

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
I remember one time on fallout 3 i wiped out like 90% oof the npcs population and no one cared.
Shame the next time i ended up wiping out like 99% cause they took a dislike to something i did and desided to try murdering me where ever i was.

nippynips

Dec 1, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
I honestly wish they had kept the Morrowind system of "essential" characters. If you killed one that you needed later in the game for story purposes, it simply popped up a box telling you that they were important to the main story. You were given the option to reload, or simply keep going. You could continue in your world knowing the main story was screwed, but it gave your actions actual meaning, you could play where you killed all these people and could decimate entire towns leaving nothing living left. Not like Oblivion or Fallout 3 where you can kill everyone in a room, except that one guy, cause he's used in a side quest that you have no intention of doing. The doctor in Rivet City and the guy in the Chorral Mages guild are 2 examples.
Nothing felt better than using levitate and rain fireballs all over seyda neen and balmora

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I once murdered the entire Duty camp at the Bar in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Boy, that was fun, because if you do it right, no one will notice you stabbing people in the face, right next to them, and dragging them off to dump them into a fire. Hey, I'll probably make a video about this. I'll do it again, and film it this time. It'll be on YouTube.